Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

What causes this effect upon making the killing blow?

Aelthwyn
Aelthwyn
✭✭✭✭
Edit: I finally figured it out, and I'm gutted. It's the Pelinal armor set which I use on a lot of characters to even out spell and weapon damage for using some magic class skills or healing staff skills alongside weapons. Didn't know that'd been changed. UG, now I've got to go remake a LOT of gear. Is there any other set that makes weapon and spell damage the same?

Whenever I make the killing blow on something my eyes glow fiery and there's this transparent orange sphere around me like a shield. It happens on characters of different race, different class, with different weapons. I've scoured the passive and CP descriptions but I can't figure it out. I've tried removing ALL CP and general world/guild skills that might be the same on multiple characters, but it still happens. What is it called and what exactly is it doing?
screenshot_20211005_114717_by_aethyriel_des9fmv-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NzgzIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvODk0ZmY5YzAtZTZlZi00YmQ2LTliYWUtZGFiMGE5NmU5M2FmXC9kZXM5Zm12LTAxZTQzZDZlLTVlZmYtNDE0ZS05NGNjLWFlMTg5Mzc1MDRkMC5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI4MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.w5t6wLHbdWgELYsErvf1HNRChEtfrBZR46BK0mwTnBY
Edited by Aelthwyn on October 6, 2021 7:28PM
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    Is there any other set that makes weapon and spell damage the same?

Not in the exact way that Pelinal used to work, but all sets that offer bonuses of weapon/spell damage, weapon/spell critical, and/or physical/spell penetration are being updated/hybridized to offer BOTH in the next update.

So, in a way, every set is kind of getting the Pelinal treatment.

For example, Rattlecage used to offer:
    (2 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    (3 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
    (4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage
    (5 items) Adds 171 Spell Damage, Gain Major Sorcery at all times, increasing your Spell Damage by 20%.

Now, it offers:
    (2 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
    (3 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage and 129 Weapon Damage
    (4 items) Adds 129 Spell Damage and 129 Weapon Damage
    (5 items) Adds 171 Spell Damage and 171 Weapon Damage, Gain Major Sorcery and Major Brutality at all times, increasing your Spell Damage and Weapon Damage by 20%.
    Edited by GrumpyDuckling on October 6, 2021 8:12PM
  • Red_Feather
    Red_Feather
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah good news @Aelthwyn an upcoming change will allow you to have both high spell damage and weapon damage if you use sets to raise those stats. It'll never be as high as what pelinal's used to allow, but at least we get to use more set combinations.
  • WabanakiWarrior
    WabanakiWarrior
    ✭✭✭
    This post made me go look up the changes they made to Pelinal's. Those are some crazy changes! Just as a side note, the set description doesn't have a cooldown for the damage shield proc. Do the damage shields stack per kill? That could be a lot of fun grinding trash mobs. Also curious how the oblivion damage will stack. And how high you can stack the damage buff. Really weird and interesting set! Imagine pairing it with Thrassian stranglers and grinding skyreach lmao
    PS4 NA
    Grand Master Crafter, PVP, Housing nerd
  • Sluggy
    Sluggy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This post made me go look up the changes they made to Pelinal's. Those are some crazy changes! Just as a side note, the set description doesn't have a cooldown for the damage shield proc. Do the damage shields stack per kill? That could be a lot of fun grinding trash mobs. Also curious how the oblivion damage will stack. And how high you can stack the damage buff. Really weird and interesting set! Imagine pairing it with Thrassian stranglers and grinding skyreach lmao

Grinding skyreach is already a piece of cake but generally, outside of that exact scenario Pelinal's is basically useless as a 5-piece now. I wouldn't even recommend it for vMA (it's okay until you hit your first boss that doesn't spawn many adds and then it becomes obsolete).

I gave a brief thought to keeping all of the golded pieces I made over the year just for the 2-through-4 piece bonuses but in the end the extra bank space was worth way more to me.