Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

So this is now happening...

LinearParadox
LinearParadox
✭✭✭✭✭
On top of having to deal with the non-function ELO/Matchmaker system, where-in 1 or 2 people of each team in every game is shockingly unskilled and unable to compete... Now I have to deal with straight-up trolls. Wonderful.

Objective-Troll.png

Remember all those people you hated that ignored the objective and tanked your games? Well, now you're the problem buddy. Great job. You've become that which you claimed to hate. And the people you're "Protesting" against, news flash, we're not ZoS, genius. It's not our call, you're just screwing us over for nothing.

Honestly the rule against naming and shaming is stupid. I realize it's unanimous among forums and I understand the point, but trolls like this deserve to be publicly shamed.
twitch.tv/linearparadox
Benthar the Unkillable - lvl 50 StamDK - AD
High Confessor Celosia - lvl 50 MagDK, AD
Aeolyndra Sunstrider - lvl 50 Magplar Support God, AD
Maldreth Angala - lvl 50 Magicka PetSorc, AD
Veldrosa Wyldwind - lvl 50 StamSorc, AD
M. Night Shatupon - lvl 50 MagBlade, AD
Vestonia Ironhardt - lvl 50 Warden GuardTank, AD
Bone Daddy - lvl 50 Stamcro, AD
Abra Kedaver - lvl 50 Magcro, AD
CP 1100+
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The naming and shaming rule is good because everyone deserves a chance to defend themselves and many times a single screenshot can be taken out of context.

With that being said, you could probably report this person to ZOS for harassment and trolling. There are potential actions that can be taken against the account, it's just that it's not up to the players to decide. Giving the players the power to action others by naming them sounds good in theory, but there are plenty of people out there with no critical thought process. It would turn into a witch hunt.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The naming and shaming rule is good because everyone deserves a chance to defend themselves and many times a single screenshot can be taken out of context.

With that being said, you could probably report this person to ZOS for harassment and trolling. There are potential actions that can be taken against the account, it's just that it's not up to the players to decide. Giving the players the power to action others by naming them sounds good in theory, but there are plenty of people out there with no critical thought process. It would turn into a witch hunt.

Like I said, I understand the point. It's a rule geared toward the lowest common denominator. I'm just tired of it effectively "protecting" bad actors like this from those of us that do posses the objectivity, critical thinking, and maturity to make a proper judgment call. But anyway, that's not the point.
    Report? Pretty sure if reporting worked, there wouldn't be so many of these types running rampant in the first place. Of course, we can't know for sure if action is taken because, right, that's black-boxed and private too.
    If the outcome of a Criminal court case IRL can be public, I think we oughtta be able to know if someone gets a slap on the virtual wrist in a vidja game -_-

Battlegrounds are a hellscape right now; Proc-sets worse than ever, lag as bad as it's ever been, awful decisions made about the queues (TDM only instead of just adding it back), and a still non-functional ELO system making the outcome of basically every match a dice-roll determined by whether or not you're on the team that's STUCK a man-down 3v4v4 the entire game (because that year-old bug still isn't fixed ;) ) Or stuck with 1-2 people scoring somewhere around 0/10/2 and dumpstering your team's chances.
    Only other PvP options are Cyro (Which makes BGs look lag-free by comparison) Or the abysmally designed Imperial City that's 90% gankers enjoying a 0%-risk-100%-reward playstyle, and 10% PvE'ers stuck questing there.

Gee I wonder why PvP is dying, the vets are fed-up, frustrated, and leaving, and what remains is mostly just newbies and the trolls that prey on them.
    Edited by LinearParadox on October 5, 2021 5:46PM
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyway, it doesn't really matter. In a few minutes/hours, someone will come by and axe this thread, sweep it under the rug, say it's "unproductive" or something along those lines, when really it's something that desperately needs to be addressed, and the only reason it's "unproductive" is that it's a one-sided echo-chamber with no dev/community manager interaction outside of moderation or replying to crown store issues XD
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To think this player must have actually interacted with the game throughout the entire match to avoid the inactivity kick. Essentially just wasting their time and degrading the experience of others, all just for pointless trolling.

When faced with players like this, their own behavior clearly portrays their lack of character. They've accomplished nothing other than proclaiming their own pitifulness. I almost feel sorry for them.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    How exactly were you screwed, unless you cared more about the reward than playing itself? 2vs4vs4 is a heroic fight and still more winnable than 1vs4vs4.

But what's with all those people who just play for rewards? That's both hilarious and sad.

I'd say ZoS should turn off reward completely, but then I need the loot to pay for my potions and poisons...
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To think this player must have actually interacted with the game throughout the entire match to avoid the inactivity kick. Essentially just wasting their time and degrading the experience of others, all just for pointless trolling.

When faced with players like this, their own behavior clearly portrays their lack of character. They've accomplished nothing other than proclaiming their own pitifulness. I almost feel sorry for them.

While I don't disagree with this statement entirely, it got me to thinking, would the same be said about people who ignored objectives in BG's prior to this change? Is the poor behavior the act of not playing to win or is the poor behavior the attitude portrayed in the chat? Or maybe a mix of both? If objective BG players choose to play it as a deathmatch, are they just as guilty as this player is?
    Edited by redspecter23 on October 6, 2021 12:59AM
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I don't disagree with this statement entirely, it got me to thinking, would the same be said about people who ignored objectives in BG's prior to this change? Is the poor behavior the act of not playing to win or is the poor behavior the attitude portrayed in the chat? Or maybe a mix of both? If objective BG players choose to play it as a deathmatch, are they just as guilty as this player is?

The difference is, at least a player ignoring objectives and fighting other players is disrupting the opponents ability to secure objectives. So they are at least doing something to assist with the match. Just standing in the spawn is far far more disruptive and ridiculous. They probably need to put a timer on the spawn and if you stay there you get booted from the match.
  • LinearParadox
    LinearParadox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They're absolutely as guilty, as per my remark about "becoming what you proclaimed to hate". They're disruptive trolls ruining people's games. The poor behavior is undoubtedly their actions. I included the chat only as proof that it was intentional; that it wasn't someone that got there late right before the match ended, or some other fringe circumstance. The bad attitude in chat is so common these days that I hardly consider it a reportable offense or even anything more than banal "internet-asshattery"
    jaws343 wrote: »

The difference is, at least a player ignoring objectives and fighting other players is disrupting the opponents ability to secure objectives. So they are at least doing something to assist with the match. Just standing in the spawn is far far more disruptive and ridiculous. They probably need to put a timer on the spawn and if you stay there you get booted from the match.

While it is disruptive, it's not as helpful as you might think. It often dooms your team to 3rd place just as 'effectively', because matches are 3-way fights, not head-to-head.
    If your teammates on Team 1 decide to play TDM and ignore the obj in, lets say, CTF, then while they're camped out outside Team 2's base, or tying them up in the middle of the map, then Team 3 has free reign on your flag (And possibly Team 2's depending on their position) It's unlikely, unless there's a large skill gap, that you alone are going to be able to take on Team 3, 1v4, and protect your flag while stealing theirs. And it doesn't take much brain power or observational skills for someone on Team 3 to call out a relatively undefended flag and just win off it.
    And that's just one example. Many similar examples can be made for KotH/Crazy King with backcapping, or one team just sitting outside their spawn casually passing a chaosball around uncontested. And yes, I've been through all of those scenarios, on all three sides, and can personally say they're 100% true.
    So again, yes, killing players is "disruptive" to their efforts to win, but only to the team you're killing players on. It doesn't make an appreciable difference to your team losing because of the existence of a third team that can easily capitalize on it and use those players as a distraction to their own ends.

And the spawn timer idea? There already is one. I've bumped into it once or twice while defending the flag in CTF, when the enemy team ignores us for too long and I get "inactivity" kicked. This guy was exploiting (Nightblade's cloak, I believe) to evade the kick timer, which is, in my opinion, not just poor behavior but an actual exploit around intended game mechanics no different than say, going 'under the map'.

Either way, patching that will only result in the next most effective form of trolling being used. E.G. "You MUST take, heal, or deal damage once per minute or be kicked" Okay so... sit in cloak and light attack once every 59 seconds. -_- etc.
    No, the solution to this kind of behavior is punishment, not "prevention", as the latter doesn't work.
    Edited by LinearParadox on October 6, 2021 7:03PM
    twitch.tv/linearparadox
    CP 1100+