The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I want a tanky damage build that pushes my soloing capabilities further!

Draxund
Draxund
✭✭✭
Hi folks,

I've been enjoying trying to push the limits of my soloing capabilities (mostly world bosses and 4-man content). So far I've been using a Magsorc build for this, but I'm getting bored with traditionally ranged and magicka-based playstyles (all my characters are magicka). To mix things up, I made a Stamina Dragonknight recently and have really enjoyed the in-your-face playstyle! Something is very satisfying about standing my ground with a big weapon and soaking up damage.

However, I'm not doing so well in the "soaking up damage" department. In fact, the build I'm currently using feels less effective than the magsorc, which was a shock to me. Therefore, I'd appreciate anyone suggesting or linking to a build that will allow me to remain tanky (allowing for easier close-up combat) but also dish out some decent damage (not take me two years to kill a really challenging world boss). I checked out some tank builds in the community, but I fear they lack the damage I'd need for soloing. And the damage builds I've messed around with don't give me much defense and require me to be highly mobile in solo boss fights. Erring on the side of defense, there's got to be some middle ground, right?

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I want to enjoy the power of this stamina DK!
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never go to Alcast for something like this. He doesn't know ;). Maybe try Hack the Minotaur or ... me:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildData?id=306920

The important things are using Brawler (2H skill) as a spammable with a Master's 2H weapon and the Pale Order ring. I find this works particularly well on DK. The DK DOTs complement this playstyle as they progress the fight when you can't get near a boss. On the other hand you can just flat out tank things with Brawler that are otherwise impossible. Fast forward to 21:37 - the Lava Queen fight. This is veteran hard mode, solo. I am able to out-shield her flame AOE as long as I keep Brawler up. I only have to block her heavy attacks. Also note how I am able to kill the flame atros simply by dotting them up and then forgetting about them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfzFztCtjqE

It is not important to get the exact same gear other than what I said above. My traits are all over the place, because I am a PvPer first and foremost. Vicious Ophidian is ideal, but could be replaced with a sustain set - or wear a crit set and adjust sustain via jewelry. The Master's 2H doesn't need to be perfected and doesn't need to be a greatsword. The Maelstrom bow could be replaced with back-barring full Briarheart. In that case I would use 1x Slimecraw instead of 2x Bloodspawn. Don't worry too much about tankiness. Brawler takes care of that. This build is tankier than a magplar spamming Sweeps while doing more AOE (but somewhat less single-target) damage. You also have have the ability to block while spamming Brawler, an option that magplar lacks.

Parse on a trial dummy yields 35K to 40K DPS. If you drop Volatile Armor or Shuffle in favor of another damage skill, and if you can find some additional crit, you can push up to 50K DPS on a trial dummy with this. The main advantage, though, is the AOE damage, which makes vVateshran extremely comfortable.

You can make things easier in some fights by using Bastian as a tank. I more or less use Deltia's setup for him, which he published when Blackwood came out. Bastian is very good at blocking heavy-attacking bosses, but terrible for dying from AOE. I swap Volatile Armor out for Cauterize when using him. Unfortunately he needs the off heals, so it's a double-edged sword. As a PvPer I'm very attached to snare removal, so I'm personally unlikely to drop Shuffle, but you could do that.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find the ever elusive DPS Tank Healer that can tank any trial, hit 50K+ DPS effortlessly, and can heal groups through any vet dungeons, then let me know. LOL

As far as a tanky/DPS solo build? I'm loving the Heavy Attack Sorc build with Noble Duelist, Ring of Pale Order, and Torugs Pact with infused glyph of hardening on the back bar.
  • Ye_Olde_Crowe
    Ye_Olde_Crowe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A werewolf stamsorc conjurer with ring of the pale order is pretty nice for soloing as I discovered.
    PC EU.

=primarily PvH (Player vs. House)=
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Check out Lucky Ghosts stamina dragonknight build on YouTube.

Some general tips for soloing on stamina toons.

1) Carve or brawler is your best survival skill. When you drop to low health, just spam this skill. Brawler gives you a larger shield, but carve will deal more dps due to the stacking dot.

2) Ring of the pale order is a near must have. Nothing beats it for survival.

3) Good sets to run are tzogvins for lots of crit and easy access to minor force freeing up a bar slot for a more useful skill. Briarheart is great for self healing and it has a nice weapon damage proc, good to use on the front bar. Essence thief is another great front bar set, as it provides amazing sustain and 10% damage buff as long as you can pick up the essence which is pretty easy.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can tell you about my Stamplar i am using for hardmodes. Maybe you could get some ideas from differences ;)

I am using Ork, for Health, Dmg & Stam.

The equipment for Templar is focus mainly on dmg: Deadly + DV + Kragh for pen (you can replace it with any stat you feel you need) and of course Ring of The Pale Order.

On a front, Deadly Maul, on back MA bow.

Now, as DK you could use Deadly for DOT but it will be hard for you to find a proper spammable. Also, DV kinda sucks for DK, because this class lack abilities to trigger melee supremacy.

But in general, focus on damage sets, because the more dmg you have the fight is slightly quicker and you heal for more from Pale Order. Also, focus on medium armour, because of sustain and bonuses to roll.

Jewelry, mix of infused & Bloodthirsty with physical dmg glyph, but you can replace them with sustain if you need.

Mundus: thief is usually the best BUT in most hardmode dungs & arenas I prefer Serpent.

Food: lava for max stamina & regen. Yeah, i like squishy builds ^^

For skills:

Front bar with
    1. Jabs for ST & trash Aoe and savagery.
    2. Power of the light - for burst and DV.
    3. Brawler for shield & aoe.
    4. Stampede as GC, also for Crit punch, dot & DV.
    5. Rally for healing & brutality.

Ult: Dawnbreaker with morph for 300 dmg. And passives.

As you can see, 2h is a must. With dual wield survival is much harder. Maybe with NB... but for DK i would recommend 2h.

The worst part is to find a reliable spammable. First of all, find skill that would fit your playstyle. Dizzy swing and Psijic weapon were too clunky for me and pain to use.

On back bar:

1. Rune for stamina regen, def & hot.
    2. Cleansing for purge & hot.
    3. Endless hail for weapon glyph.
    4. Caltrops for Major Breach.
    5. Depending on content, for mobs i am using arrow spray, when melee might be too risky and first you need to weak the swarm ;p But for boss fight i prefer Trap - for major force and good dmg from Deadly.

Ulti: Toxic bow for massive ST & DoT dmg from Deadly.

Usually, in solo "rotation" you can switch to back bar every 10-15 sec and make series EH, Caltrops & Trap - it really help with dmg.

And HoT is crucial in some fights like Spinderclutch (yeah, i know, basic dung) where you spending most of the fight crippled. Also, it could be good to replace trap with Vigor. Then you have more chances to survive.

Now, as DK you can use EH, Caltrops, Trap, Vigor and toxic bow.

As source of def you can use DK armour - i think morph with shield will be slightly better.

But when it comes to sustain... No idea. Maybe Dragon Blood?

Yeah, DK is a hard choice ^^
    Edited by Ippokrates on September 29, 2021 8:02PM
  • MudcrabAttack
    MudcrabAttack
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you’re playing a solo build , why not use the green morph of vigor than the one in the link, it does way more self healing. And I’m really surprised that your link to the solo build didn’t have reaving blows CP. It’s a weaker version of pale order ring that only works with direct damage, but combined with the pale order ring it’s kind of nuts, combined with master 2H and brawler it’s very nuts, it would be a very tanky combo of things.

And don’t forget about block casting, you can hold block and swing skills like brawler/ reverse slice at the same time, it causes your stamina regen to drop off, but you have bloody renewal CP slotted to keep stamina topped off as things die.

Perhaps the solo block casting trick works better on a nightblade since they have a built-in bloody renewal type passive in their kit for something like free vicious ophedian, my nightblade always seems to have tons of stamina. It also has leeching strikes for more healing when I’m light attack weaving, and assassins scourge for a massive heal while also hitting hard
  • GrumpyDuckling
    GrumpyDuckling
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    2 Balorgh
    5 Leeching Plate
    1 Ring of Pale Order
    2 Trainee
    2 Puncturing Remedy (Dragonstar Arena)
    2 Thunderous Volley (Maelstrom Arena) Infused Damage Glyph

Defensively, you're in heavy, and healed by Leeching, Pale Order, Green Dragon Blood, and Puncturing Remedy.

Offensively, you can build to Balorgh and then have a window where you're getting great penetration and Weapon/Spell Damage while still maintaining your bulkiness.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Brawler, brawler, brawler. Maybe with Masters 2H. Solo anything that does not have a mechanic that prevents soloing at all. You don't need pale order, or anything fancy.

Edited by katorga on October 1, 2021 7:00PM
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Couple of options I'm using

1. Dark Convergence, Brawler and Masters Maul (for the penetration as well as the cleave) on a stam warden with some stam heals and warden skills for non aoe damage

2. Warden with hatchlings shell, permafrost, bear and the cp points into the strategic reserve. If you set it up right your health recovery runs at a bit over 5K when buffed with food - and that's *if* they get through your damage shield.

Edited by etchedpixels on October 2, 2021 12:58AM
    Too many toons not enough time