The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Question about dungeons low dps problem

Mandragora
Mandragora
✭✭✭
Could someone help me with this - I have sorc level 20 with storm skills, I do the crit rotation and still the dps is very low - is the scaling right?
Then I have 46 stam necro and he couldn't do almost any dps to White tower mobs before you even enter the first boss. And I have caltrops for debuf.
So how you are suppose to do enough of dps?
Then I have bow stamina nightblade with weapons poison dots and someone attacked me for not doing burst dps. And have cp points in dots, and nightblade bufs, so how can I do even bigger dps?
PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. Level to CP160.
    2. Learn some basic skill rotation while leveling.
    3. Farm good DPS gear.
    4. Get good enchantments and traits on that gear.
    Then you're good to go.

Look up some builds online if you're unsure which skills and sets to use. You don't have to copy those but you can use them to get an idea of what a class needs to do decent DPS.
    PS | EU
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Other than the basic advice posted above, also remember light attack weaving is also important when talking about improving dps.

It's hard to say more without knowing more about your experience level as a player and more about your builds and rotations. But also don't expect crazy numbers on characters under 50. Your sorc just unlocked bar swapping a few levels ago and still needs to unlock many more skills as well. You don't provide much info about your cro but remember that major breach, while helpful to debuff large groups of mobs, will also be provided by your tank, and thus less helpful on a boss fight. Finally, investing in thaumaturge on a nightblade is less helpful than something which buffs Relentless Focus and Killer's Blade, as these are two very important skills for stamblade DDs.

Hope that helps.
    PC NA
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you're running normal dungeons and the group is steamrolling everything, your personal DPS will be lower if you treat the dungeon like "hard" content.

Most of the builds you see online are assuming hard content, where enemies stay up for longer periods of time and do more damage.

A lot of those builds is irrelevant in 'normal', less difficult content.

A prime example is many Stam DPS builds have a bow backbar and tell you to start off by self buffing and casting Endless Hail.

In less difficult content, especially trash mobs, the fight will be over by the time your Endless Hail hits the ground. If you were treating it like hard content, you essentially wasted time self buffing and casting a long-lasting damage over time skill.
    PC NA
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you want to improve dps you need to practice on dps dummies that are available in guild halls. Just join a pve guild.
    If you are on PC, install combat metrics and fancy action bar addons, they will help with dps a lot.
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the advices, I guess I buff myself too much with the main for trash, because if I use Endless Hail it doesn't seem to work. But it was betterr in other dungs, so maybe I got scared of that too much.

My builds are very stright :
    for stam necro - all grave lord stam morfs skills + caltrops instead of magic boneyard and some def+heal skills on the backbar with 2 bows.

for my main poison hunter - all bow skills plus siphon stam morfs - leeching strikes and power extraction and assassin skills - mirage and piercing mark, plus I really do like the spiders from undaunted.
    I have a problem if I should be focused more on penetration or crits - I thought crits are better for burst damage and penetration for dots, but it seems like in ESO it is more about crits?
    and my armor set should match that - I have dlc overland witch-knight for poison and venomous for crit poison, but that doesn't work, because my mundus stone is penetration.
    I have around 3k dps, 30% of crit and 7/10k penetration (depending on the weapons if it is crit or penetration trait).
    And almost all gold except rings.
    It should work, right?
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you to find a build online that does really high damage, that is the class and weapon that you want to play.

But don’t just use that build. Really LOOK at it. What skills and morphs is he using that you aren’t? Pick a skill and put it in your rotation. Use it on a parse dummy awhile.

Bit by bit try things out and see what changes on your performance. On the parse dummy so you have objective results.

Do this with rotation, skills, morphs, traits, drinks/food, CP, mundus, enchants.

Keep occasionally adjusting then testing as long as you play the game. Keep looking at builds that report high DPS and seeing what they do differently. You will keep discovering what makes YOUR damage go up.
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for advices.
    I have 11k without ultimate and 14k with ultimate. I guess that is the basic, so I will look at some builds.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Necros and stamblades are wet noodles until you get a decent CP loadout. You also picked the stamina DDs that have the hardest rotations to get competent at, especially the spectral arrow with the stamblade. I'm betting you have a difficult time with public dungeon bosses if you are a true Level 46 (without CP). Not an insult, just the way those classes work. Once you get to a CP 300 you will notice a big difference.

Unless there have been drastic changes recently, Caltrops hasn't been a recommended PVE skill for a while now. Deadly Cloak is better. So is the Dark Shades for the stamblade

Your sets are interesting. Witch Knight is a set I'm not too familiar with, but looking at the stats, you'd be better off pairing Venomous with Hundlings Rage. You're currently running a very low crit build. Crit is very important in PVE, which is why you should also get the Shadow or Thief mundus. I prefer the Shadow
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I mixed too many characters :)
    my stam necro is on NA server - he was level 46 without cps, he is 200 cps now, but I don't have dummy yet.
    my main dps hunter is on EU server and does have 800 cps, that is why I see it as a problem - I really should have high dps character. I tested some alts aswell and they have similar results - with overland equipment and standard tree skills, it is around 11k, which is fine for normal dung, but some people will complain about it - so it feels like I shouldn't be doing dungeons if I find meta builds not really fun to play? Well my vamp mage is beyond help...

But after changing mundus to shadow and switching power extraction to grim focus, and respec cps from AOE to direct damage, the overal dps is now 2k higher, which should be fine for normal dungs I think. I tried to switch armor set to Briar, but the result wasn't that high.

But I cannot imagine having even higher dps.

So thanks for advices.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Mandragora While gear and CP have a strong effect on DPS, its really the rotation that matters. Again, stam necro and stamblades have a dynamic rotation where you have to keep track of your timers on things like the endless hail, tether, blastbones, trap, spectral arrow, leeching strikes, etc. This is where most of your damage comes from on each build, respectively. Too many skill hits, you lose sustain. Too few, you lose the stacks on some of these.

Don't worry about dummy humping. Go fight in public dungeons and normal group dungeons. Try a normal Aetherian Archive trial. See if you can keep track of your skills. There are addons on PC that can help. If you are on console, there are options which will keep your active effects up on a bar on the screen so you can see when the arrow is ready or when your hail is about to end.

About gear, overland gear is not terrible. But there is a difference when you get trials gear. Even something like Leviathan will make a difference. Or the old Vicious Ophidian/Twice Fanged setup could work. It won't take you from 11K to 90K, but it will help. Stuff like Kinras is great for group play. Stuff like Advancing Yokeda is great if you have a solid rotation. I like to run Tzvogins on my stam necro in group dungeons. EDIT: One set will raise stamina DD'S DPS against bosses, and that is Relequen. You should look to get that at some point. Again, it will not add 50K to you DPS, but it is probably the closest thing to a universal set in this game when it comes to stamina DD.

Lastly, it sound like you are interested in raising your DPS for veteran group content. Join a guild. One that welcomes noobs and will help with DPS and rotations. At the very least, the guild hall, aka someone's home, will have a trial dummy for you to use. Check out the Guilds recruitment page for offers.
    Edited by El_Borracho on September 28, 2021 6:44PM
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No you totally should dummy hump. It’s nonnegotiable in DD git good strategy.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

After you figure out what skills to run and CP, sure. Not when starting out. Would be a waste of time
  • BejaProphet
    BejaProphet
    ✭✭✭✭✭

After you figure out what skills to run and CP, sure. Not when starting out. Would be a waste of time

Agreed. I wouldn’t do it until CP 160 and getting set up.