The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Magwardens were bad, now they are just a joke.

Marcus_Aurelius
Marcus_Aurelius
✭✭✭✭✭
I think I am (was) one of the last magwardens still in service in PvP. They have always been so bad compared to other classes that seeing one was like seeing an unicorn.

So I really want to tank you for the release of Plaguebreaker, now I can't use the only skill that had some class importance.

RIP Magwardens.

Gonna level up a magsorc and join the flock. See you.
  • YandereGirlfriend
    YandereGirlfriend
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Come to Ravenwatch and you can fly your Betty without anxiety.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think I am (was) one of the last magwardens still in service in PvP. They have always been so bad compared to other classes that seeing one was like seeing an unicorn.

So I really want to tank you for the release of Plaguebreaker, now I can't use the only skill that had some class importance.

RIP Magwardens.

Gonna level up a magsorc and join the flock. See you.

Magicka Warden really needs some self healing help in it's green balance line in the coming patches along with a redesign to Arctic Blast to make it a proper offensive stun and damage skill.

The subclass is genuinely awful to survive on compared to most other magicka classes bar maybe magblade, because it's burst healing options are all incredibly bad for healing themselves (i must stress that i mean only themselves. they're still very good group healers). Budding seeds is an awful skill to spam as a heal except when it a group, because while it's tooltip is huge and in aoe, it requires 2 gcds to use, and is a placed aoe skill, leaving it very prone to lag, it's also not as easily spammed as breath of life, twilight matriarch or resistant flesh. mushrooms is bad because it's tooltip is really low for the ginormous cost and type of skill it is, even major mending doesn't come close to saving it. living trellis is cheap, but it's burst heal is atrocious since the major mending and healing nerfs, blessing of restoration is probably our best option, being relatively cheap, giving minor resolve and healing for about 10% less than our Tree Ultimate's burst heal, it's problem is that it still is not enough to be a great heal. arctic blast is our remaining option, which scales based on health, but in order to get a great tooltip with it, your max hp needs to be so huge that you sacrifice damage in order to be able to heal well with it(i personally think that is fine for the current iteration of that morph). It also offers some okay damage and a defensive stun, which makes it both obnoxious to use offensively, and to play against, it does basically everything but it wasn't what we needed. We never needed a defensive stun, we needed an offensive class stun that was able to deal damage. and we still do. being forced to use a fire staff in order to have access to a somewhat viable offensive stun is really poor design, especially as the stun is a knockback, which can disrupt our deep fissure combos. Shimmering shield is really strong, but it does not protect against stamina based attackers virtually at all unless they're playing with a bow. i acknowledge that it can be really frustrating to face, but magdens are still quite killable. The shield has an internal cooldown and does not block every projectile. i've been killed through it by projectiles several times.

most good magdens i know from the legend discord don't play the class anymore because it performs so poorly as a damage dealer in comparison to anything else you could consider. It's main use is as a group healer and/or as a DC+Hroth bot at the moment in groups due to how badly overtuned those sets are, this role is not even unique to magden as well.
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on September 23, 2021 7:08AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • Selot
    Selot
    ✭✭✭
    Couldn't agree more. In my opinion, the best way to find out if a class is good or not, is to look at how many people play it. I rarely see magwardens as dd in pvp. I think magwarden is the worst magicka dd in pvp after magblade. It needs a buff.
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell ZOS to remove the purge that was overperforming and wasn't on the class to begin with. Then you won't have to worry about plaguebreak.

Also, from what I've seen, no one really even uses that set. That you die one or two times over an hour period because of a set isn't a big deal.

Lastly, if you really are "mag" every mag character should be able to outheal plaguebreak unless you're running in a ball group. If you're in a ballgroup, well, the set was designed to counter that...
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, from what I've seen, no one really even uses that set. That you die one or two times over an hour period because of a set isn't a big deal.

Lastly, if you really are "mag" every mag character should be able to outheal plaguebreak unless you're running in a ball group. If you're in a ballgroup, well, the set was designed to counter that...

What you have seen is different from what I have seen, in my campaign several people run it, I use the addon that show the name of the damage you are getting in real time and I've seen several times.

The problem is not dying one of two times but wiping your group with 45k damage from a singol hit. No I'm not in a ball group, but I have in game friends and run with them some time.

Who talked about healing it? The damage from the dot is so little I barely notice it but if I have my netch up the burst can be 45k and that is just absurd.
    Again, there not only single players or ball groups, there also groups of 5-6 friends that love play together. If I am with them I can't use the skill.
    At this point let's all just play magsorc, streak people with Hrothgar and put down some Dark Convergence.
  • ResidentContrarian
    ResidentContrarian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Who talked about healing it? The damage from the dot is so little I barely notice it but if I have my netch up the burst can be 45k and that is just absurd.
    Again, there not only single players or ball groups, there also groups of 5-6 friends that love play together. If I am with them I can't use the skill.
    At this point let's all just play magsorc, streak people with Hrothgar and put down some Dark Convergence.

You mean the damage can be that high if you are running in a ball group and have a purge ability slotted.

Also, you and I both know you won't go and play mag sorc because you have an advantage on your build that keeps you using it - it's strong in groups and you apparently play in groups, where the set is effective.

One other thing is that a mag sorc wearing Hroth and Dark Convergence isn't even that good. It's only good when stacking a lot of either players or those sets. The problem is that anyone that isn't balled up can easily drop you the moment you use streak with 2-3 snipes, unlike a mag warden where you'd have defense from cryzstalized shield and other defensive options that massively outweigh the benefit of using sorc streak over just slotting the same set on a mag warden and using volcanic rune.

All in all, gonna hit the doubt button.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hate to break this to PVPers but not every subclass needs to be top DPS. Trying to make it so only leads to further issues that then have to be dealt with. They just need to all be good at something. Healing is natural for pvp magdens, for example.

Having said that, magdens can clap fools and survive attacks. I have a group of guild mates who only run magden and they wallop people. But they run in a group, not solo. It definitely isn't a solo sub class.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Brahma_Br
    Brahma_Br
    ✭✭
    Magden have only been nerfed in the last years… Permafrost nerf, buff nerfs (magden was the most affected), artic blast nerfs…
    Now, plaguebreak its a massacre with Magdens..
    Warden without a belly, its not a warden…
    Plz, show magdens some love… we are underpower compared to all other mag sub-classes. (NB as well)
  • Pauls
    Pauls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have less than 45k hp you arent magden
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You mean the damage can be that high if you are running in a ball group and have a purge ability slotted.

Also, you and I both know you won't go and play mag sorc because you have an advantage on your build that keeps you using it - it's strong in groups and you apparently play in groups, where the set is effective.

All in all, gonna hit the doubt button.

Never run in a ball group, but plague hit too hard also little groups, just try it.

The only group utility I have is radiant regenration cause I don't have a strong self heal but I play my magwarden as dd melee brawler. Yes i know it's not that usual but was working perfectly fine for me.

You can doubt all you want, but you see not everyone plays same as the majority, some of use like to play peculiar and unique build. [snip]

[edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 28, 2021 1:23PM
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pauls wrote: »

I have 30k in CP Cyro, and yes I am a magden.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You guys do realize you don't have to run netch, right? If you really are dying so much because of plague, you can skip netch. Everything it gives you can be gotten via other means.
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • taugrim
    taugrim
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Once you have more HP than the low 30k range, it's wasteful.

If you have 45k, that means one or both of the following are true:
    1. your damage is impotent and easily out-healed
    2. you are sacrificing mitigation, in which case your HP goes down quickly but is expensive to replenish
    PC | NA | CP 2.2k
    • Active: Dark Elf Stamina Templar | Dark Elf Stamina Necromancer
    • Inactive: Dark Elf Stamina Arcanist | Nord Stamina Warden | Orc Stamina Sorceror | Nord Stamina Nightblade | Nord Stamina Dragonknight
    BUILDS ADDONS AUTHORED GUILDS:
    • Ankle Biters | Legends Syndicate (PVP) | Moonlit Shenanigans | Song of Broken Pines (PVP) | Ulfhednar (PVP)
  • Pauls
    Pauls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    taugrim wrote: »

Once you have more HP than the low 30k range, it's wasteful.

If you have 45k, that means one or both of the following are true:
    1. your damage is impotent and easily out-healed
    2. you are sacrificing mitigation, in which case your HP goes down quickly but is expensive to replenish
    With more hp you are more durable, especially on warden, 2nd point is a nonsense
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tell ZOS to remove the purge that was overperforming and wasn't on the class to begin with. Then you won't have to worry about plaguebreak.

Usually I get hit for 3K by it if I use my bull netch and I'm usually not stack on a group when I do use my bull netch. And if I do get hit for that I use vigor and I'm fine, but I'm also a Stamina Warden.

As for Plaguebreak it is a very niche set. What I dislike is that it states If the Plague is removed early. it doesn't state how it was removed and from other games I have played, I thought someone dying would cause it to proc. I should of paid attention more. I went back to my old sets.

If you go for a full DoT build than Plaguebreak isn't a bad set especially consider the other stats it provides you.