Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can we get a menu option to 'delete' crates without opening them?

Syrpynt
Syrpynt
✭✭✭
I don't want to open the free ones you guys give me. I get more unusable junk, gems I'll never spend, repeat items I already have (+ we never get the true value of the item in gems), and collectables I'll never use.

I love you ZoS, but these crates will sit in my menu notfying me forever and they're annoying. I know you'll never add a delete or trading feature because it will undermine the whales market on Crates, but just needed to vent.

Thank you

Best Answer

• Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Syrpynt wrote: »
    I don't want to open the free ones you guys give me. I get more unusable junk, gems I'll never spend, repeat items I already have (+ we never get the true value of the item in gems), and collectables I'll never use.

I love you ZoS, but these crates will sit in my menu notfying me forever and they're annoying. I know you'll never add a delete or trading feature because it will undermine the whales market on Crates, but just needed to vent.

Thank you

I have, literally, hundreds of unopened free Crown Crates, thanks to multiple accounts, geographies, and platforms. At last count, more than 500 of them. I just ignore them.
    hafgood wrote: »
    So if from twitch just unlink your account, and then problem solved, no more crates.

Then you have to remember to relink the account when ZOS drops something of 'value', like a pet.
    Edited by Elsonso on September 23, 2021 2:39PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
    Answer ✓
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't mean to sound callous here, but can't you just grab a beer and have a crate opening party and get rid of them one evening?

ZOS would never do this because they don't want people deleting crates. Can you imagine the support issues they would face if people accidently deleted crates they purchased?

Now, a trading option where you can hand crates off to someone else might be a possibility. But not sure how it would work on the back end or even be a priority since you can already gift crates through the crown menu.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The xp scrolls are valuable unless you've somehow reached CP3600 already.

The trash consumables can get converted to crown gems which are very valuable.
    PC NA
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mean to sound callous here, but can't you just grab a beer and have a crate opening party and get rid of them one evening?

ZOS would never do this because they don't want people deleting crates. Can you imagine the support issues they would face if people accidently deleted crates they purchased?

Now, a trading option where you can hand crates off to someone else might be a possibility. But not sure how it would work on the back end or even be a priority since you can already gift crates through the crown menu.

Are you sure you want to delete?
    Enter Password to confirm: *********

Solved that issue of accidentally deleting crates. If you still delete it, it's on the user now. No one is accidentally tripping onto their keyboard and typing in their password to delete stuff.

2nd point, I know. Hence why I ended my post the way I did.

3rd, I want to delete instead of giving them away because I know it would give them feedback.
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    The xp scrolls are valuable unless you've somehow reached CP3600 already.

The trash consumables can get converted to crown gems which are very valuable.

Crown gems are not valuable at all. 15 crates might get me 40 gems. I buy what I like, and I have +60 xp scrolls already through daily rewards and can't use them fast enough as is. Not complaining about that part. I just want to delete my crates. Bleh

edit: Added response to other user.
    Edited by Syrpynt on September 22, 2021 7:41PM
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I can't figure out why anyone would want to do this.

You could get the Senche of Scarlet Regret. You might think you are the unluckiest person who ever lucked, but people do get it and one day it could be you.

Gems don't take up any space so why not just take them? Forget about them, and one day you'll have enough to get something really nice. I got a mount once.

Why would you throw away even a small chance for something really cool?
  • hafgood
    hafgood
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where are you getting free crates from? I only get them from Twitch when drops are on and with the new mechanics when I claim them.

So if from twitch just unlink your account, and then problem solved, no more crates.

Then just open the ones you have. Problem solved.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    whitecrow wrote: »

You could get the Senche of Scarlet Regret. You might think you are the unluckiest person who ever lucked, but people do get it and one day it could be you.

Gems don't take up any space so why not just take them? Forget about them, and one day you'll have enough to get something really nice. I got a mount once.

Because I don't support them and refuse to contribute [snip]. It's a small chance, so opening it is just showing that I give in. It's super frustrating that we don't have the option to delete, [snip]

[edited to remove bashing comments]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on September 23, 2021 6:14PM
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    [snip]

You can't collect data on how users feel about crates and how it is affecting your audience's overall gameplay experience, if the only data you see is:
    • Did the user open crates?
    Yes? Ok good.

If people delete crates, they can see:
    • Did the user open the crate? Yes? Ok, good.
    • Did the user delete the crate? Yes? Uh Oh.

Which leads to: How many users delete crates? How many users do this? What can we do to get more sales to make up for these losses?

Instead, without this option, it's completely pandering to the whales and the data is skewed in favor of "Crates must be good because people are opening them! The data supports it."

It's more about ethical data collection and and varying player perspectives, rather than just listening to a biased source to make a continued decision simply look good on paper, while ignoring the other side of the argument.

[edited to remove quoted content]
    Edited by ZOS_Ragnar on September 23, 2021 6:16PM
  • whitecrow
    whitecrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Most people are going to open free crates because they are free. It tells them nothing.

Only crate purchases tell them anything.
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a couple reasons for not opening mine, mainly philosophical.

First, if Schrödinger has taught us anything it is that the contents of the crates are indeterminate until such time as they are opened. Therefore, my unopened crates hold countless wonderful treasures, until opened. Were I to open them, I would get a lot of the same gurb that the rest of you get, and relatively few wonderful treasures.

They have not come up with anything in the Crown Crates that I really feel that I need. I have plenty of pots, potions, poisons, scrolls, and chicken dinners. If I convert everything to Gems, but there is nothing I want to buy, all I have done is waste my time, and lost something for my efforts.

The bottom line is that 500 unopened free Crown Crates are more interesting than anything they are likely to contain, or the Gems that come from them.

Similarly, I collect as many Seals of Endeavor as I can, not because I want to spend them, but because it gets me to do activities in the game. It is a daily/weekly challenge, with the achievement measured in Seals. I don't really think of them as currency. They are more like Achievement Points, than currency.
    Most people are going to open free crates because they are free. It tells them nothing.

Only crate purchases tell them anything.

I agree, and honestly, the Crates must be doing well enough or they would have taken them to the next level already. For a while, ZOS was notching up the monetization every few months. Things have stabilized a bit.

PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    Those responses... really you don't know why it will never be possible to delete them or you are from that group who pretend not to know?
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
  • Mandragora
    Mandragora
    ✭✭✭
    I mean atleast it was all over the interent, also you shouldn't be surprised by posts like those - ZOS drove away with their aggressive gambling campain certain players and with Microsoft they are comming back, so they will have requests like those now, but I don't understand the response, it really does scare me - why you would defend it? Players are almost OK with how it is now, I guess ZOS have their whales (as it is obvious here), but those people are still the same aggressive as the campain before - that is atleast how it does look to me and really I don't understand it. Shouldn't you be able to ignore such posts atleast if you have no interests in lootboxes?
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!