Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Constant crashes on console since enhanced update

SkadiMZ
SkadiMZ
✭✭✭
There have been constant crashes to home screen and even hard crashes that completely shut down the system since the console enhanced update.

Prior to this point, I experienced two crashes over the course of three months. Since that update, I can expect two crashes per play session, more if it's a longer session.

The most frequent crash comes from any type of interaction with champion points. It does not matter if the change is adding recently acquired champion points or altering the points you currently have. Champion point interactions seem to crash the game more often than not and are the only source of hard crashes for me so far.

Outside of the champion point menu, leaving group dungeons/trials by fast traveling to a location or player results in an increased likelihood of crashing. There are other occurrences causing crashes as well, but the above two have become nearly guaranteed.

Nothing has changed on my end as far as hardware or internet connection. I play on Xbox series x.

Edited by ZOS_Bill on August 11, 2021 8:36PM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which console do you play on? I just got the new Xbox Series S which fixed all of my constant crashes.
  • SkadiMZ
    SkadiMZ
    ✭✭✭
    I play on a series x.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Please try our basic crash troubleshooting and see if these steps improve stability. If not, please feel free to start a ticket with customer support.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • TwinStripeUK
    TwinStripeUK
    ✭✭✭
    SkadiMZ wrote: »
    There have been constant crashes to home screen and even hard crashes that completely shut down the system since the console enhanced update.

Prior to this point, I experienced two crashes over the course of three months. Since that update, I can expect two crashes per play session, more if it's a longer session.

The most frequent crash comes from any type of interaction with champion points. It does not matter if the change is adding recently acquired champion points or altering the points you currently have. Champion point interactions seem to crash the game more often than not and are the only source of hard crashes for me so far.

Outside of the champion point menu, leaving group dungeons/trials by fast traveling to a location or player results in an increased likelihood of crashing. There are other occurrences causing crashes as well, but the above two have become nearly guaranteed.

Nothing has changed on my end as far as hardware or internet connection. I play on Xbox series x.

I've also got a Series X but I've so far not experienced anything like this.

Given where it seems to be happening, I have to ask is the game all on the internal storage or is any of it being held on an external drive? I know the enhanced edition needs the base game to run from the internal SSD, but it's quite possible that any lag in accessing DLC or entitlement packs on an external drive can do this.
  • ShinyBacon
    ShinyBacon
    ✭✭✭
    i experince the same, constant crashes, especially when leaving dungeons/trials/groups and occasionaly when fast travelling.
    It is very similar to what is described in this thread:
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/581055/67-blue-gray-screen-crashes-on-ps5#latest
    the enhanced version on the series X is very unstable.

i did all the trouble shooting, reinstalled etc.

playing in the same household on an older Xbox on the non- enhanced version doesnt crash that often.

• FireBreathingNord
    FireBreathingNord
    ✭✭✭
    I can confirm this happens on, not only Xbox series x, but also xcloud stadia and pc install. Lot of times i find this mostly happens after spend too much time in CP UI, then try to exit.
  • mcinturf
    mcinturf
    ✭✭
    Same, series x. One freeze in dungeon while solo. Total crash to dash almost evertime I do something in CP menu. Was never getting freezes or crashes prior to next gen update. Annoying. Def bug in CP menu. Please fix!
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15
    ✭✭✭
    Happens to me too. Happened 5 times in one hour switching CP on different characters. Crash the game sometimes crash the whole Xbox Series X.
  • StolenEyes
    StolenEyes
    ✭✭✭
    This happened to me three times last night in the space of two hours. Dashboarded without warning, once while riding across Cyrodiil, again when leaving a delve and finally when accessing my Champion Points. I play on Series X, and this was never an issue before the patch yesterday.

And automatically being put into Area or Group Chat still isn't fixed.
    Xbox/EU1750+ CP--The Vessius Sisters, exiled Imperial/Breton family - Sarenia, Stamina Sorcerer, AD Lexia, Stamina Nightblade Silencer, DCHelvena, Dragonknight Tank, EPMalerie, Magicka Vampire Necromancer, DCQuiselle, Magicka Templar, ADKethria, Magicka Nightblade Vampire Thief, AD
  • Astrid
    Astrid
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I disconnected about 12-15 times during a 2 hour period last night during raid. Everyone else was doing the same, no warning just flicking you straight to dashboard and then again when you try to load in.
  • GhostwheelGames
    GhostwheelGames
    Soul Shriven
    I'm now stuck in the Silent Halls Dungeon in Blackwood. It crashes as soon as the game starts. I don't even have time to turn around and leave the dungeon. Game starts and then crashes instantly. It was doing this last night as well so I uninstalled the game and reinstalled. When I started again this morning I was outside the dungeon and figured it was fixed, but I was wrong. Now I'm stuck again.
  • j3z3b3l
    j3z3b3l
    ✭✭
    StolenEyes wrote: »
    This happened to me three times last night in the space of two hours. Dashboarded without warning, once while riding across Cyrodiil, again when leaving a delve and finally when accessing my Champion Points. I play on Series X, and this was never an issue before the patch yesterday.

And automatically being put into Area or Group Chat still isn't fixed.

This has been happening to me all morning. 🥺
    Same setup. No problems prior.
    Edited by j3z3b3l on September 23, 2021 2:21PM
    J3zdaz XBOX One NA
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As posted here, we are actively investigating the crashing issues players have run into since the last update.
    Staff Post
  • captainpost
    captainpost
    ✭✭
    I'm getting the crashes as well. It happens once an hour or so in the normal world but in Cyrodiil it crashes every few minutes. I have tried all the things suggested (restarting Xbox, unplugging Xbox, deleting ESO and reinstalling, deleting save file) and nothing seems to work. Xbox Series X Performance Mode.
  • xepidemiikxxb14_ESO
    Nothing works to fix the crashes on the Series X, deleted save data, reinstalled game, tried different settings. Still the game just crashes, and it doesn't matter what you are doing. Its consistently every few minutes or on a load screen. I don't understand how the game just keeps getting worse and worse. Tired of the same auto responses support gives too, none of it works. Fix the damn game instead of adding content, trash proc sets, and changes that no one wants.
  • shadowkhaleesi
    shadowkhaleesi
    Soul Shriven
    It’s definitely gotten way worse since the patch this Wednesday and has happened across all types of activities - BGs, trial doors, wayshrining, standing around doing nothing at an Undaunted enclave... I’ve submitted a bug report each time it has happened and I hope it gets resolved soon since the game is unplayable for some at this point, especially when trying to prog things in group PVE. The dashboarding makes it incredibly frustrating.
  • xepidemiikxxb14_ESO
    It’s definitely gotten way worse since the patch this Wednesday and has happened across all types of activities - BGs, trial doors, wayshrining, standing around doing nothing at an Undaunted enclave... I’ve submitted a bug report each time it has happened and I hope it gets resolved soon since the game is unplayable for some at this point, especially when trying to prog things in group PVE. The dashboarding makes it incredibly frustrating.

Yes, it is literally unplayable on the Series X right now. Don't know why i even bother trying to play this game after all these years. They clearly don't care, but hey some new crown crates for people to give them more money.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Almost completely broken. I've power cycled, uninstalled and reinstalled. It's crashed over two dozen times on me since the patch. Unacceptable.
  • shadowkhaleesi
    shadowkhaleesi
    Soul Shriven
    Could we get an ETA on a hotfix for this? My core team had >15 crashes in vKA HM tonight and upwards of 10-12 on the first two bosses of vRG alone. I just crashed for the nth time today trying to do a clothing writ.. Moreso than the inconvenience of loading back in each time, is this constant crashing killing our hardware? (The CP bug that fries our Series X and shuts down the entire console system sure sounded like it was doing that..) Either we are owed an ESO+ refund or this needs to be taken care of ASAP. You really can’t expect your new gen Xbox players to live with this for weeks until the next incremental is rolled out.. Do better for your console player base.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    you'd think there'd be a little urgency since xbox *** owns zenimax. wtf
  • SerraKBella
    SerraKBella
    ✭✭✭
    I know this thread is about xbox series x crashing since the enhanced update a few months ago, but my crashes have been about 3/hour since the patch on Wednesday. Before that is was maybe one or two every few days. Something happened this last patch that just crashes no matter what different activities I'm doing.
  • Lnin0
    Lnin0
    ✭✭✭
    Two Xbox Series X and both had almost no incidents prior to this update. Both now constantly crash to the point of the game being unplayable. So my ESO sub and the money I pre paid just waste away. I am owed my money back.

Why don’t you include instructions on how paying customers can request compensation for your faulty product in your cut and paste support response.
    Edited by Lnin0 on September 24, 2021 9:01PM
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot get on one of my characters right now. I have a total of 18, I've gotten on a few just to see if I could. Everytime I load up on that char, it goes straight to xbox dashboard. I played with it tonight in Cyrodiil then left it and went to my pantherfang house and it crashed and I can't get the character back.

I've even power reset the XBox Series X too.
  • I'veGotYourBack
    My main character was stuck in an endless crash loop too, always straight back to xbox dashboard (on my xbox series X). I recovered the character by connecting an old xbox one which is not affected by the 22September-crashes. Just relocate the character somewhere with the old box, and you're good to go on the series X again (until the next crash that is). Awful, but a workaround until someone at Zenimax takes this seriously. Cheers
  • Lnin0
    Lnin0
    ✭✭✭
    This is not a defect that ZOS can ignore, say they are looking into and walk away hoping it will resolve itself in the next update months from now. Many of us have PRE-PAID for a subscription and your company is failing to deliver on that agreement. All the while the time on our paid subscription drains down and your company fails to deliver on this service.

You need to compensate paying customers.it is not legal to collect money for a subscription and not provide the subscribed product.

I for one am ending my ESO+ after this. We were asked to live with the last large defect that broke the store for over a month. At least then the game was playable. It is no longer functional and this same treatment will not stand.

However, I have months prepaid on my subscriptions already. So even though I am canceling future payments I am not content to let you keep my money for nothing. I expect that my current sub will be honored and any loat time caused by your companies fault be properly compensated.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    It's disgusting. if we weren't addicted to their stupid game we'd all leave, never shop there again, and tell the whole world about this crappy company. but instead we beg and plead like punks. i hate it, but fully admit that I love the game and the friends I've made playing it. An official statement by someone higher than a freaking forum mod would go a long way. But that's too much to ask for this outfit it seems. I own a smell business and it's admittedly not software related but when my team puts out an order that doesn't meet the specs agreed upon or doesn't work as promised we turn our attention to it and fix it immediately. Even if it means working late and weekends. I don't send my low end employee out to tell the customer some boiler plate gibberish that provides no timeline and makes it clear to the customer that I don't care about their business because I can't be bothered to have a manager contact them or do it myself. Not a 1:1 comparison but still apropos imo.
  • azurskye
    azurskye
    Same here on Series X - totally frustrated.
  • azurskye
    azurskye
    My main character was stuck in an endless crash loop too, always straight back to xbox dashboard (on my xbox series X). I recovered the character by connecting an old xbox one which is not affected by the 22September-crashes. Just relocate the character somewhere with the old box, and you're good to go on the series X again (until the next crash that is). Awful, but a workaround until someone at Zenimax takes this seriously. Cheers

I had to do the same thing!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    An update regarding the crashing issues on Xbox has been posted here.
    Staff Post
  • Balibe
    Balibe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Posted by Kevin today
    Potential workaround
    We have heard from several players that running ESO in Fidelity Mode on Xbox Series X|S has helped with the frequency of crashes in some cases. Please note that this approach many not work for everyone, but it is worth trying to see if it helps you between now and the incremental patch on Wednesday. If this workaround does decrease your crashes on Xbox Series X|S, please let us know.