Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Official Discussion Thread for "New Grim Harlequin Crown Crates" Article

ZOS_SamL
ZOS_SamL
admin
498f443b8c742d6663670fad2d8b7955.jpg

This is the official discussion thread for the "Experience the Twisted Smiles & Dark Delights of the New Grim Harlequin Crown Crates" blog article.

Discover the marvelous and menacing costumes, mounts, and more found in the new Grim Harlequin Crown Crates, coming soon to the in-game Crown Store.

Here's a full list of all the rewards contained in Grim Harlequin Crown Crates:

Radiant Apex Rewards:
  • Ram of Dark Delights
  • Infernal Trickster Death Hound
  • Dark Delirium Senche

Apex Rewards:
  • Garb of Grinning Horrors
  • Grinning Terror Bear
  • Grinning Terror Guar
  • Grinning Terror Senche
  • Grinning Terror Steed
  • Grinning Terror Wolf
  • Maniacal Jester

Legendary Rewards:
  • Amethyst Candlefly Gathering
  • Grim Harlequin Chandelier
  • Mad God's Monarch Flock
  • Bone Colossus Illusion Gem
  • Daedroth Illusion Gem
  • Dunecoat Senche-Serval
  • Snow-Blanket Sorrel Horse
  • Sunback Bear
  • Maniacal Jester Bow
  • Maniacal Jester Dagger
  • Maniacal Jester Maul
  • Maniacal Jester Shield
  • Maniacal Jester Staff
  • Grace of the Green
  • Scourger's Scales

Epic Rewards:
  • Viridian Valor Body Markings
  • Gem Prospector
  • Hakoshae Festival Attire
  • Conjurer's Eyes
  • The Adoring Stand
  • Dread-Etched Dragon Priest Mask
  • Terrorgleam Dragon Priest Mask
  • Moonshadow Wings Mask
  • Netch Handler Cap
  • Scorched Dragon Priest Mask
  • Carmine Wood Moth
  • Lowland Bristleback
  • Sapphire Sep Adder
  • Vale Sabre Cat
  • Wamasu Hatchling

Superior Rewards:
  • Gemcutter's Spectacles
  • Hakoshae Festival Laurel
  • Shimmerene Soiree Circlet
  • Thorns of Ecstasy Body Marks
  • Viridian Valor Face Markings
  • Chef Kiss
  • Fight Me
  • Pet Plant
  • Two Thumbs Up
  • Thorns of Ecstasy Face Marks
  • Chitinous Arm Cops
  • Chitinous Belt
  • Chitinous Boots
  • Chitinous Bracers
  • Chitinous Guards
  • Chitinous Helmet
  • Chitinous Jack
  • Ascadian Umber Sheep
  • Cropsford Hen
  • Greenhill Farmdog
  • Sunback Bear Cub
  • Topal Durzog
Edited by ZOS_Kevin on June 20, 2022 5:11PM
Staff Post
  • xgoku1
    xgoku1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Apex Costume and Personality ... yikes
  • colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    xgoku1 wrote: »

Oh lol, that's an instant turn off right there.
  • NoxiousBlight
    NoxiousBlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭

400 gems for a personality? Super sad.

This wouldn't bother me if there were more Worm Wizard/Beast/earnable options, but as is, I am really tired of everything just going into crates. Dungeon rewards are becoming more body markings and junk that you can't see anyway. I was on cloud nine for like a week after I finally earned Worm Wizard. Nothing from a dungeon in the past 2 years has given me that same sense of reward.

Personalities, imo, are the best cosmetics available because they can really define your character. But putting it at the 400 gem level instead of the 100 seems insane.

Sigh. So much good stuff in ESO until the accounting department gets their hands on it.

• colossalvoids
    colossalvoids
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

400 gems for a personality? Super sad.

This wouldn't bother me if there were more Worm Wizard/Beast/earnable options, but as is, I am really tired of everything just going into crates. Dungeon rewards are becoming more body markings and junk that you can't see anyway. I was on cloud nine for like a week after I finally earned Worm Wizard. Nothing from a dungeon in the past 2 years has given me that same sense of reward.

Personalities, imo, are the best cosmetics available because they can really define your character. But putting it at the 400 gem level instead of the 100 seems insane.

Sigh. So much good stuff in ESO until the accounting department gets their hands on it.

Completely agree on earnable part, it was worth going for and had a satisfaction factor to it compared to now where you get nothing.

400 gems is a rip off in my book for such a stuff, no amount of "free" endeavours would change that.
  • B0SSzombie
    B0SSzombie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forget the Personality!

400 Gems for a Costume??

If I got the Apex flare on a card and turned it around and saw a Costume, my disappointment would be vast and unending.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    It is sad that "in a first for Crown Crates since their inception, the Apex reward tier will include a costume and personality!" IF these were item types we would also see "for the first time" in game - maybe - but for costumes ( already sold for certain prices) and for personalities ( both earned in game and also usually for a specific price) this feels like a desperate financial move rather than something exciting - and it does edge on rip-off. If you want to impress - bring something totally new, never before in the entire store /game existence, truly making one go "wow - I MUST have this" - not .... this.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nothing here for me to get excited about. The only things I'd be interested in, I already have.

Heck, there wasn't even anything in the current crates that got me excited enough to do endeavors. Yes, I've done quite a few, but I've skipped at least three of the weeklies and a lot of the dailies, simply because there are other games I'm enjoying right now, and getting into ESO just to do endeavors isn't worth it to me.

At the end of the day, all of this is just cosmetic fluff. Not to say that I haven't purchased my share of said fluff, but it's not worth getting exercised over.
  • Supreme_Atromancer
    Supreme_Atromancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My post was rightly removed, because there was nothing constructive in it.

My complaint is the Crown Store offerings often feel low effort because there seems to be little thought towards the integrity of the lore.

The Ascadian Isles Black Sheep is the perfect example of something we have seen a lot of -random lore names slapped onto various unrelated reskins with little thought to how it fits in with the IP. Anyone who has spent 5 minutes in Vvardenfell will see the problem with it.

I love ESO and I've put a lot of time and money in for the opportunity to play an authentic Elder Scrolls experience, so its disappointing when crown store stuff seems to demonstrate a systematic lack of care for the spirit of the franchise.

There are a lot of compromises an Online Elder Scrolls must make, but please put some more thought and effort into controlling the quality of the stuff that comes through the store, so that its stuff that makes sense within the mythology of the IP.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

yea, i love how they try to pitch it like a good thing lol
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • WaySeeker0
    WaySeeker0
    ✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »

yea, i love how they try to pitch it like a good thing lol

"...Apex reward tier will include a costume and personality!" Please let those in charge of this decision know that this isn't cool & needs to be changed & understood WHY. There are VERY good reasons why this is a 1st. It comes across as very greedy to put these in the rarest tier (and supporting gambling!) instead of simply in the Crown Store proper where we can simply spend a set amount of Crowns (or other like Endeavors) to purchase. This is bad customer service & negative P.R. that is only doing more harm than good. It isn't a good look to be so happy & excited announcing this as if it is a positive thing; it doesn't work and only makes it worse. The amount of whales you get w/this ... is it really worth it?

"But it's only cosmetic" ... changing it can only do you MORE good because I'm sure lots of people will like to get it simply from the Crown Store (at a fair price, mind you). This should have never been approved, you need to think things through more. But you can still gain forgiveness if you change this and apologize. I assure you and hope you understand.

I'm ESO+ and have played since Beta. Thank you for working on such a fun game to explore and play by myself and friends and meeting new friends along the way. Shame on you for this move. Nobody likes to be reprimanded, but it has to be done in cases such as this. Best to you and stay safe :)
  • thegreatme
    thegreatme
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have to agree with people above. 400 gems for a personality? For a costume? C'mon now.

100 gems? Sure, maybe. Still pushing it, but I could see it. 400? No.

Its a shame, I was looking forward to the personality. Not sure that I'll be touching it now though unless it is literally the most elaborate and well-done personality ESO has ever designed by a mile. I doubt it'll be anything more special than all the other personalities we've gotten though.

Overall just sets a really bad precedent. Its doubtful they'll change it this time around, but please never stoop to this kind of gambling gauging again. All it does is turn most of us off.
    Edited by thegreatme on September 21, 2021 10:08PM
    Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/
    My Artstation | Deviantart | Youtube | Furaffinity

Thank You ZoS!:
    ◙ Blackfeather Court banker/merchant
    ◙ Gloam Indrik
    ◙ Re-release Gloam Wolf Mount

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
    ◙ /honorloop emote
    ◙ cross-legged sitting emote
    ◙ Evergloam house
    ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
    ◙ Hagraven Houseguest
  • Radiance
    Radiance
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Maniacal" indeed.
  • HappyTheCamper
    HappyTheCamper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Happy to see the thread comments are all about the negatives. This post is a bad edition of arguably the worst aspect of the game (crown crates.) Very cringe to see ZOS trying to get us excited about the personality and costume as apex rewards. I also feel like they’re just making the legendary 100 gem tier stuff *** as well. Just a bunch of mementos and recycled mounts. Not even reskinned, just old mounts and costumes that used to be in the store.

[snip]

And yes, it’s all useless cosmetics, [snip]

[edited for profanity and bashing]
    Edited by ZOS_Lunar on September 22, 2021 12:16PM
  • Zyva
    Zyva
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really do not like the costume/personality in the apex tier. IMO, the overall quality of the "reskins" have gone down as it is. And I HATE how the trend has gone from skins being rewards for dungeons/trials to crates every quarter. Its awful. Instead we get flimsy markings that pretty much suck and cant even really be seen under armor anyway.

What happened to earnable achievement content that felt like it was something amazing? There is a reason new people are STILL excited to go back and get Worm Wizard personality and the skin from scalecaller, and those were DRAGON BONES DLC rewards, or the vmol and vas trial skins even..... YEARS old now! Instead, more and more cosmetic stuff keeps getting locked behind a higher crate/gem tier.

I like how endeavors were thrown out as something to perhaps pacify the masses, but it will take literally months to a year to earn what you want from if its a apex or heaven forbid, radiant reward. I find less and less reason to log in daily when the bugs are piling up, achievements dont always work, the game keeps crashing, sets change for little reason every few months, but here, pay 100-500 dollars for something that when the game was young you could earn by doing a dungeon achievement and feel amazing.
    Zyvä (Nightblade) ~ Purricâne (Sorcerer) ~ Boñfürr (Dragonknight) ~ Cätnïp (Warden) ~ Boñespùrr (Necromancer)~ Catsänova (Templar)
  • Clyde_BlueSnake
    Clyde_BlueSnake
    ✭✭✭
    "Sapphire Sep Adder"
    (It's a pet under epic)
    And that's it, that's what got my most interest out this new kind of crown crate.
    Main is Blue-Thuxis, a Argonian stamSorc, whose also is a werewolf! 2nd main, Cobalt-Thuxis, a Argonian stamArc, an identical twin sister to Blue-Thuxis, even is a werewolf as well! some alts:
    Nirn-Scale Rajthux (Argonian, Templar), Ros-Ei Nature-Thuxis (Argonian, Warden), Crimson-Thuxis (Argonian, DK), Bone-Thuxis Tharn (Argonian, Necro) Why Bone-Thuxis has Tharn as a last name:
    The siblings were separated at a young age due to a Dres slaver raid, Blue, Cobalt, Ros-Ei & their mother were able to escape, Crimson & Bone weren't that lucky. Crimson was later "rescued" by some Orcs that later ambushed the House Dres Dunmers, unfortunately one Dunmer remained & sadly successfully brought the young Bone-Thuxis to the Dres plantation. Later an Imperial, a Tharn, bought Bone at a auction & later told he was free, the young Argonian sadly had no idea where to go & doesn't know if his family was still alive, so the Tharn adopted him into House Tharn. This family of Argonians finally reunited years later.
    , Kenneth Clyde (Nord, Sorc), Selene Gray-Thuxis (Argonian, Nightblade), Urmanda (Orc, Warden)
    Some ESO history: I originally started from PS4 NA during June 10, 2015, I did reached CP 810+ on there. I eventually kinda got tired of paying PS+, so during February 4, 2019 I started moving to PC NA. Also CP: 810+. Nowadays I play ESO PC mostly, while PS4 is dust.
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Oof, I'm sorry to say it but I do feel bad for the marketing person who had to try to spin 'Apex-level costume and personality' into a positive. But honestly is does feel a bit off-putting for the article to say "in a first for Crown Crates since their inception, the Apex reward tier will include a costume and personality!" when we've had costumes and personalities in Crates before... and at 1/4 to 1/10 of the gem cost.

I will normally defend a lot of monetization strategies. I recognize that the cost of video games has not at all been keeping up with inflation (I've seen ads from the 90s where N64 games cost $60. Now, console games are still going for around $60 30 years later). And I enjoy supporting games I like by buying cosmetics to change how my characters look. Now I'm not a huge fan of gamble crates and would rather have a system where I could buy what I wanted directly, but I think a cosmetics store is a great feature for games to have.
    ...but this is even a bit too far for me.

I love character cosmetics. I'll usually buy pretty well all hairstyles and personalities whether I need it or not, just on the off chance I feel like having it for a screenshot or an alt. And yet I can't get excited about the personality or the hairstyle here - the personality since it's so much more expensive than they normally are (and I'm not really into the whole evil clown thing in the first place) and the hairstyle since it seems like a slap in the face considering all the styles that we've been begging for over the last 5 years, and all we get is a recolor of an inside joke to look like another inside joke.

Please reconsider your release schedule in the store. There are so many people who would buy cosmetics if they weren't gated behind grinding or gambling. I understand that Endeavors are likely eating into the standard revenue from crates, but there are people who would buy cosmetics (and can't use Endeavors for it) if there were more things released in the store proper. So many things are removed from the store and are barely ever seen again - look at the hairstyles that finally came back this year after over 3.5 years unavailable. And also consider releasing the things that we're hyped about but still don't have: the Short Mussed Wave hairstyle, Velsa's hairstyle, the Bard personality... all of these have people begging to give money for, but we can't.

If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion: I'm assuming your October releases are already set, but you may still be planning your later releases. May I suggest making a larger offering for Black Fredas this year? We normally only get a mount bundle, but it could be fun (and lucrative) to offer a lot of out-of-the-store items that may not have been seen in a while. Perhaps even some of those datamined things that never released?
  • thegreatme
    thegreatme
    ✭✭✭✭
    May I suggest making a larger offering for Black Fredas this year?

I remember last year, and I think even the year before that? A LOT of people were expecting tons of player houses to be re-released for Black Fredas, and it never happened, and so a lot of people weren't spending money.

If ZoS is really hurting for finances and making sales, they should probably capitalize on all the content they have to sell already that people want and missed in previous years because of ZoS's "Limited Time" forced scarcity model (add onto that they've stopped granting support requests for retired crown store items like a year ago).

Just re-release a heck-ton of old stuff and let people run wild. Its not like ZoS doesn't have an easily available method of making bank on all those people who missed out previously. They just refuse to do it for some stupid reason.

Speaking of which, Gloam Wolf mount re-release when?
    Join my Nocturnal-devoted Mercenary Reach guild! https://esokrakeclan.weebly.com/

Thank You ZoS!:
    ◙ Gloam Indrik

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
    ◙ /honorloop emote
    ◙ Evergloam house
    ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
    ◙ Hagraven Houseguest
  • Zorrin
    Zorrin
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since I got it in my third crate, here's a PSA on the Garb of Grinning Horrors costume before someone spends 400 gems on it: you can't dye the yellow parts! :|
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really don’t get why the costume and personality are apex. Tbh, nothing in this set greatly appeals to me but that’s okay. I got the Ayleid and Wild Hunt crates earlier in the spring.
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I really don’t get why the costume and personality are apex.
    I'm afraid that they pushing some things to Apex, because of Endavours - since system started I get 2 nice legendary things and just ignoring Apex tier. And ZOS don't want us to ignore Apex tier...
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
  • Starlight_Knight
    Starlight_Knight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strong contendor for the worst crate season ever. imo
  • Inval1d
    Inval1d
    ✭✭✭✭
    "in a first for Crown Crates since their inception, the Apex reward tier will include a costume and personality!"

Whoopee! Means if you're lucky (or unlucky) enough to get a bunch of duplicates while opening crates, you would only need to spend around 20.000 crowns on crates and pray so you get enough gems by the end of it to just buy ONE of the two new new Apex rewards! What's not to love?
  • Katheriah
    Katheriah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Lol. Imagine getting an Apex card and it contains either a custome or a personality.

Thanks for the heads up. I will not be buying the Grim Harlequin crown crates.
  • Erissime
    Erissime
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that they pushing some things to Apex, because of Endavours - since system started I get 2 nice legendary things and just ignoring Apex tier. And ZOS don't want us to ignore Apex tier...

Well.... considering their "consistency" with the items from crates vs crowns - I wouldn't be surprised to see that same costume today worth 400 gems after 1 or 2 years ready for ... 1200 crowns ( maybe 2000 and make it a bundle with some major adornment!) - isn't this how it works!? (will let you think how this makes it look to the usual customer). And yes, people DO want to spend money and support their favourite game ( myself included) and I wouldn't post around if I wouldn't care - but like many others since many a year now - I am still here, I am still enjoying it, I am sure hoping this sort of thing to be corrected in the future. Do not underestimate the discernment of your customers though - it is but the switch of a button to dump it all and turn to greener pastures ( and there is always one out there - somewhere - provided one looks !)
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Got 4 crates and happy with the outcome. Got apex wolf, thorn skin, jester staff motif, pet plant emote, fight me emote and the conjurers eyes. Used gems to get hakoshai costume, tiara and the pretty Sep adder.
  • thegreatme
    thegreatme
    ✭✭✭✭

I've said it elsewhere but it does seem a little too convenient that they start pushing rewards that used to always be at Legendary tier at their highest, to Apex tier right about when those people who chose to save up should be able to afford Apex tier soon...

Except now it also affects those who spend money on crates. So there goes the "oh my god, endeavors are just free stuff! It doesn't affect anything else!" arguments.

Then again, who knows. I could just be a crazy conspiracy theorist.

Thank You ZoS!:
    ◙ Gloam Indrik

Let's See It Happen ZoS:
    ◙ /honorloop emote
    ◙ Evergloam house
    ◙ Hagraven Polymorph
    ◙ Hagraven Houseguest