The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

I'm a returning player! I was around during Beta and the following year.

Tannakaobi
Tannakaobi
✭✭✭✭✭
I can't say I'm not disappointed.

It's been a while, I don't remember much in terms of the story or mechanics so I feel almost like a new player. I have a general gist of how things work in ESO and I've played many an mmo anyway. I though I'd start a fresh new character, but first I wanted to experiment with a couple of different classes. Having gone through levels 1-16 twice I noticed a couple of things...

It's such a poor introduction to the game. Nothing makes any sense.
I skipped the Introduction, to be met instantly by some woman going on about her benefactor. As most of you know this questline puts you straight into the introduction. OK! whatever...
Anyway I've noticed a couple of issues which are just silly and give a really bad first impression.

I had someone calling me soulless before I even started the main quest. Skyshards don't make much sense if you haven't started the main questline (and lot's of small things like this).
Also, I feel like I'm being harassed every time I go into a city. I'm being treated like some kind of world renown hero. Everyone want's a piece of me, dragging me all over the continent and I'm just trying to work out how to organise my inventory and learn some skills. I have people claiming that only I can save the fate of all Tamriel and I'm thinking, any one of these guards could kick my arse and there only NPC's...

Also, why is it that no matter where I take myself, I feel like other players are standing on top of me. No matter what quest, Delve or even just random mobs I am trying to fight/complete another character/player comes steamrolling in, ignoring mobs but causing a train of them to follow then kills the boss/loots the chest and does one. With not so much as a sly wink my way. It's not fun waiting around for things to respawn. I thought by now some of the area's would be empty. I really like the combat system in ESO, The story seems interesting, but it's ruined by poor design.

Can I have my own server until I catch up a bit?
  • Its_MySniff
    Its_MySniff
    ✭✭✭
    If you played for beta and a year, surely you ran into some of this issues. I don't know what to tell you. There are plenty of low pop areas and time slots. I've played steady for a few years now, I guess what you see as issues I just see as an mmo. If the story bothers you, do side quests, farm resources, do dungeons, housing, etc. Problem solved. Enjoy.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I played during beta and the first year much of these inconsistencies with the story didn't exist, it's all added content. You can excuse a new game for having some issues, which at the time it had many. This is now seven years old, starting area's should be perfect. It just needs some house cleaning.

Also, on a personal level I really don't care all that much. I just like to fight things, I'll be in PVP soon enough. But it's not a great starting experience, it was my observation. If you want to show me all the new players joining that are happy with things the way they are then go for it. I didn't see any though, all I saw was vets running around.... and farmers!

I'd like to see this game flourish, be good and attract millions of people even if I'm not part of it, as I have an invested interest in all things TES. When your first experience is one of confusion it's not great. When mmo games fail to attract new players they inevitably die. I have a unique perspective, as someone who knows the game, but is also experiencing it like a new player would.

After writing my own post I had a little look through some other post's and at least three other people have said more or less the same things just today, so I'm not on my own.

• _Zathras_
    _Zathras_
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you played for beta and a year, surely you ran into some of this issues.
    Tannakaobi wrote: »
    When I played during beta and the first year much of these inconsistencies with the story didn't exist, it's all added content.
    They didn't exist at all. I was in beta as well, and at launch. Everyone started with the same beginning of having to escape the prison, and then went to their respective starter zones. One Tamriel changed all of that, allowing you to start in other areas (depending on the current active chapter), and making the intro really up to you on how you wanted to manage it.
    After writing my own post I had a little look through some other post's and at least three other people have said more or less the same things just today, so I'm not on my own.
    You and others are correct. It can be confusing if you are new. Unless you go online for guides, you have to pretty much figure out the order of the storylines for yourself. It isn't new player friendly. A lot of feedback has been given on this since they changed it.

I don't see the harm in bringing it up again. Everyone here posts their in-game experience in one form or another. Maybe they can fine tune the brand new player experience to be less pick-up-sticks, and put it on rails like it used to be right out the gate. At least for the standard intro that talking to the Benefactor launches you into.

• SeaGtGruff
    SeaGtGruff
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been playing ESO for just over 4 years now, and my first character never noticed any confusions because he never left Vvardenfell before I decided to give up on him and roll a different character.

My second character-- who is now my primary main, meaning my main on my primary server-- had an absolute blast once he left Vvardenfell, running around without a plan of any kind and doing quests all out of sequence because he didn't know any better. But even though I had a lot of fun playing that way, I decided that I really "should" have played through the quests in proper sequence.

My alternate main-- that is, my main on the other server-- has been progressing through the zones in order, except for doing enough of the zone questlines in certain zones to open up the repeatable daily quests for events in those zones. He's made it about halfway through Cadwell's Gold, and it's been great being able to experience the quests and NPCs in the "correct" order, but it's also a bit of a drag putting off doing most of the content for the DLC and chapter zones because it isn't the "proper" time for doing them yet.

I've also got several alternate characters on both servers, and I've been trying to do the content in the "proper" order on them, although I'm not devoting the same anount of time on them as I do on my two mains.

Based on my experiences with my two mains, I would encourage players to have at least two characters for playing through the content-- one who is allowed the freedom to play any content at any time, without any consideration to the "proper" order; and another who is more or less restricted to playing the content in the "proper" order. And don't be surprised if you find out that it's actually more fun to play the content out of order, even if it's less confusing storywise to play the content in order. :)
    I've fought mudcrabs more fearsome than me!
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're right, but here are some ways to deal with the aggravation.

Once you've started the main quest, a few of the problems go away.
    • You can accept the quests from the people who want you to go elsewhere, then just not do them. That shuts most of them up. It also uses up way too many of your precious 25 active quest slots -- ZoS has made a horrible mistake in not increasing that number as the game evolves -- but it's doable.
    • You can play through one of the alliance zones, just like the game was originally designed for. One good option is to go through the Daggerfall Covenant areas. Wrothgar fits into that story any time after you've done Rivenspire. The Alik'r Desert story is boring, but you can skip it if you like (I've actually done it twice). The latter part of the Stormhaven story is boring too, but Bill Nighy did such a great job voicing King Emeric that it's not that much of a slog.
    • The best part of the Aldmeri Dominion quest line, is the first part, from Khenarthi's Roost until you get partway through Grahtwood. So you can do that when you feel like.
    • Summerset is great, but it actually follows from a variety of things. I'd be sad if I'd done it without first doing the DC quest line (at least through Rivenspire), the main quest (all the way to the end), and AD (just the early parts; even partway through Auridon would be enough). In theory it also follows from Clockwork City, which follows from Vvardenfell, but that matters less to me. And none of that is a reason not to stop into Alinor, get certified in jewelry crafting, and so on. You can also do the famed and somewhat overrated House of Revelries side quest any time you like.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you hate characters standing on top of each other when talking to a banker, you can pick a slightly less convenient city as your main base of operations. Alinor in Summerset is beautiful and fairly convenient, and not as crowded as the scruffy but even more convenient Vivec City. Rawl'kha is somewhere inbetween. Clockwork City isn't crowded at all. Etc.
    Edited by FrancisCrawford on September 22, 2021 9:21PM
  • Nanfoodle
    Nanfoodle
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like most of your problems is your not used to playing an MMO. It'd standard in RPGs you are the hero to save the world. So NPCs are always looking for your help.

Everyone in an MMO are fighting for the same crafting nodes, NPCs to kill. Or the same banker or vendor to get what you need done.

I would suggest, as this game is sandbox. Just wander around the map, getting devles and public dungeons done. It's a good place to get skyshards done that you will need for end game. Most of the game can't get done without enough skill points.

I would suggest you hit every crafting node you come accoss. It's a good way to get geared and earn money.

This would keep you out of cities and getting set up for end game. I would also suggest daily dungeons. It's great source of gold, exp and gear. If you have questions on my suggestions, just DM me.
    Edited by Nanfoodle on September 22, 2021 10:40PM
  • kieso
    kieso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't say I'm not disappointed.

It's been a while, I don't remember much in terms of the story or mechanics so I feel almost like a new player. I have a general gist of how things work in ESO and I've played many an mmo anyway. I though I'd start a fresh new character, but first I wanted to experiment with a couple of different classes. Having gone through levels 1-16 twice I noticed a couple of things...

It's such a poor introduction to the game. Nothing makes any sense.
    I skipped the Introduction, to be met instantly by some woman going on about her benefactor. As most of you know this questline puts you straight into the introduction. OK! whatever...
    Anyway I've noticed a couple of issues which are just silly and give a really bad first impression.

I had someone calling me soulless before I even started the main quest. Skyshards don't make much sense if you haven't started the main questline (and lot's of small things like this).
    Also, I feel like I'm being harassed every time I go into a city. I'm being treated like some kind of world renown hero. Everyone want's a piece of me, dragging me all over the continent and I'm just trying to work out how to organise my inventory and learn some skills. I have people claiming that only I can save the fate of all Tamriel and I'm thinking, any one of these guards could kick my arse and there only NPC's...

Also, why is it that no matter where I take myself, I feel like other players are standing on top of me. No matter what quest, Delve or even just random mobs I am trying to fight/complete another character/player comes steamrolling in, ignoring mobs but causing a train of them to follow then kills the boss/loots the chest and does one. With not so much as a sly wink my way. It's not fun waiting around for things to respawn. I thought by now some of the area's would be empty. I really like the combat system in ESO, The story seems interesting, but it's ruined by poor design.

Can I have my own server until I catch up a bit?

Yeah the story continuity is pretty bad atm. That new tutorial was lame imo. I preferred the cold harbor intro. Then there's all these npcs that appear that you've never met but they know you because the dlc's also have no sense of continuityand zos assumes you've met them in the base game.

They really need to work on the story having some semblance of order.
  • maboleth
    maboleth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have to give ZOS a credit for allowing you to pick where you actually want to start a new story from after you complete tutorial quest. Before it was a total mess - each new zone/chapter provided new start and basically "deleted" the other way of starting points.

But what you said was also true - so many NPCs are trying to get a "bite" of you now. But at this stage I think that too is normal. The game got a lot bigger. They are trying to catch up the best they can. Since it's a MMO and an ES game with "do whatever you want" logic, they don't want to channel you through I II III IV V or so stages. Instead you figure out yourself, but those NPCs are there, inviting you to go on a journey/quest with them. Naturally, some of those quests overlap or are a progression of past events, so you should do them in some order, if you want to follow the story as naturally as possible.

It's just the way it is. Unlike other single player ES games that had a fixed main quest and zillions of other side quests with 1-2 story-driven DLCs that ended the production of the whole game, ESO is forever expanding. It has the Main quest, 3 alliance main quests and DLC/Chapter main quests. And all of these are fighting to get your attention at some point. Can't see the solution to that with the game this large, in fact I think ZOS did quite intelligent way of doing it, imo.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the easiest solution to the continuity of the quest lines is to get rid of all the messengers and introduce a message board. A place a player can go to look for quests. It's simple, it's useful and it's lore friendly. It would also tidy things up a little and the mechanics already exist in the game. It could also offer some insight into who the quests are for and how it all fits together.

I would force the player into the main quest. This would tidy up the issue of being soulless, or more to point, not. But still referred to as such. That really is poor, and it walks hand in hand with Skyshards, it's not so much that you have to collect them without explanation. It's the fact that the main quest when you eventually do it explains why you collect them and if you've already collected over one hundred or even just one it breaks the lore in a seriously obvious way.
    Nanfoodle wrote: »
    Sounds like most of your problems is your not used to playing an MMO. It'd standard in RPGs you are the hero to save the world. So NPCs are always looking for your help.

Everyone in an MMO are fighting for the same crafting nodes, NPCs to kill. Or the same banker or vendor to get what you need done.

No, I've played many mmo's and it's simply not true that most make you the hero of the world before you earn it. The opposite is true, usually you are a hero rather than the hero and you have to go looking for quests. Often having to prove your worth before you get more interesting quests. It's weird that I'm treated as a hero before I've even done anything in the game. I can't think of another mmo that does that.

As for 'fighting for the same crafting nodes, NPCs to kill. Or the same banker or vendor to get what you need done'.
    It's really not what I meant. I'm talking about bosses, or even just crucial mobs in the story of quests.
    As an example, I did a quest last night and they were building up the danger for hours and at the end, the panicle of the entire map, countless quests in, the final boss in what felt like a full chapter of the story. I roll into a town that is under siege, I can't find any mobs to kill, but continue forward only to eventually find the big bad boss I've been chasing down for hours already engaged in combat and almost dead. I manage to get a hit in before she dies. I'm then treated like I'm the hero that saved the world.... That's just not good.
    I will concede that ESO is not the only mmo to have this problem. But it is among the worst for it in my opinion. There is just something about the mega server that makes it worse because people are everywhere. Every quest has other people doing the same thing at the same time. Based on my experience questing I'd think there are more people playing ESO than any other game. I hope I feel like that when I move on to PVP and I actually want to be surrounded by other players all the time.

Anyway, I sound like I'm unhappy with the game and I'm really not. But I can see why someone who is more focused on story would be disappointed and this is a TES game after all.