Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Sorcerer healer PVE question

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
Aside from the obvious SPC, what other set would you recommend on a Sorc healer?
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • GuildedLilly
    GuildedLilly
    ✭✭✭
    • Olorime (cloudrest trial) can be swapped for SPC--it doesn't rely on over-healing, and for 4 person dungeons, the current cap of 6 players per proc doesn't matter
    • Winter's Respite (western Skyrim) gives you a nice AOE HOT
    • Sanctuary (Banished Cells) increases healing done
    • Worm's Raiment (Vaults of Madness) increases magika regen for group
    If you're running with a group that doesn't need much healing:
    • Dark convergence (rewards for the worthy mail form Cyrodil & BGs, guild traders)-- AOE CC & DOT. Stacks the mobs to make the tank's job easier, and your DPS can melt them quicker
    • Way of Martial Knowledge (Craglorn and guild traders) gives your group higher damage against a specific target, BUT: you can only trigger it when your stamina is under 50%, and to keep the up time of the damage buff going, you'll have to re-trigger every 8 seconds. VERY USEFUL with high damage groups that don't require much healing, but can be tricky to manage.
    Grandmaster crafter, alt-o-holic, PC NA/EU, and XB1 NA/EU
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ah that's great! Any crafted set worthy of mention?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    Aside from the obvious SPC, what other set would you recommend on a Sorc healer?

I've been asking myself the same question.

I was considering Elemental Catalyst, but that depends on the crit changes revealed tomorrow.

Hollowfang got nerfed, but it still looks decent in theory, and forthcoming RNG changes might make it a lot easier to farm. (Ditto Catalyst)

Skill bars get a little tight for some of those ideas. Besides the basics, you want a Dark Magic skill. Single-target Catalyst procs can be assured by Crushing Shock, but using that as your spammable over Frost Reach reduces your Brittle chance (and does so by a lot unless you have a Charged Ice Staff, which also helps with Burning and Concussed, but deprives you of the benefits and Infused staff could give).

• Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

I was considering Elemental Catalyst, but that depends on the crit changes revealed tomorrow.

Hollowfang got nerfed, but it still looks decent in theory, and forthcoming RNG changes might make it a lot easier to farm. (Ditto Catalyst)

Skill bars get a little tight for some of those ideas. Besides the basics, you want a Dark Magic skill. Single-target Catalyst procs can be assured by Crushing Shock, but using that as your spammable over Frost Reach reduces your Brittle chance (and does so by a lot unless you have a Charged Ice Staff, which also helps with Burning and Concussed, but deprives you of the benefits and Infused staff could give).

Yes, elemental catalyst might be worthless if they implement a lower cap for crit chance (which I suspect will be around 50% for main bosses). Winter respite + SPC sounds like a better combination to me so far (at least on paper...)
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭

Yes, elemental catalyst might be worthless if they implement a lower cap for crit chance (which I suspect will be around 50% for main bosses). Winter respite + SPC sounds like a better combination to me so far (at least on paper...)

As far as I am aware from reading around the forums, crit chance isn't getting capped, it's crit damage, though perhaps this is what you meant in reference to EC's five piece. Either way, I doubt crit damage is going to be capped at 50, as I believe that is the base amount. Still though, groups that hit the new cap, whatever it is, through other means (kilts, khajiits, etc) woudn't have need for EC.
    PC NA
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master architect (trial set) or powerful assault (player shop set) are also good options.
    I have no trouble healing players even without winter's respite. Winter's respite useful when i dps and dont have healing skills on the bar, so minor healing will keep me alive. But with Mirri as healer (my Mirri is a DD) i doubt it is any longer useful.
  • Celedayn
    Celedayn
    ✭✭✭
    If we're talking end-game, like difficult content (Vet HM, Vet Trials), then Hollowfang and Stone-Talker's are pretty much your best bet for a second set, after SPC. A lot of the sets mentioned here are not meta by any means; I wouldn't invest resources into getting them personally, but to each their own...
  • aetherial_heavenn
    aetherial_heavenn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Celedayn wrote: »
    If we're talking end-game, like difficult content (Vet HM, Vet Trials), then Hollowfang and Stone-Talker's are pretty much your best bet for a second set, after SPC. A lot of the sets mentioned here are not meta by any means; I wouldn't invest resources into getting them personally, but to each their own...
    I agree
    I generally recommend starting with SPC/Hollowfang and Symphony of Blades and/or Sentinel Monster sets. These are useable in all content, including most trials.
    A key job of healers is to supply resources and bring some buffs/debuffs to the table so sets that do this are often preferred over those doing raw heals.
    In normals you can DPS more and as a sorc, if you run the healing Matriarch you bring one of the best heals in the game, while you do so. SPC synergises well with either damage or healing.
    EC is popular with some end gamers but it does depend on group composition. Roaring Opportunist and Jorvulds was a go to combination for a quite while. Worm's Raiment was popular too but many tanks/offtank run that now, instead of the healer for the mag. Winters Respite is nice soloing overland but there are better sets on healers in my opinion.
    Quoted for truth
    "In my experience, the elite ones have not been very toxic, and the toxic ones not very elite." WrathOfInnos
  • Celedayn
    Celedayn
    ✭✭✭
    Celedayn wrote: »
    I agree
    I generally recommend starting with SPC/Hollowfang and Symphony of Blades and/or Sentinel Monster sets. These are useable in all content, including most trials.
    A key job of healers is to supply resources and bring some buffs/debuffs to the table so sets that do this are often preferred over those doing raw heals.
    In normals you can DPS more and as a sorc, if you run the healing Matriarch you bring one of the best heals in the game, while you do so. SPC synergises well with either damage or healing.
    EC is popular with some end gamers but it does depend on group composition. Roaring Opportunist and Jorvulds was a go to combination for a quite while. Worm's Raiment was popular too but many tanks/offtank run that now, instead of the healer for the mag. Winters Respite is nice soloing overland but there are better sets on healers in my opinion.

Yeah, Symphony and Rkugamz/Sentinel for monster sets. This lad knows what he's talking about - I recommend listening to him, if you actually want the gear that is top notch for fulfilling your support role.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all, I think I will go with SPC and MA as I already have both sets. I will also use Rkugamz. What skills should I run? Sorry, first time at healing with a Sorc!
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Illustrous healing, energy orb, combat prayer, twilight matriarch, aggressive horn, elemental drain. The rest can be filled with sorcerer skills.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »
    Illustrous healing, energy orb, combat prayer, twilight matriarch, aggressive horn, elemental drain. The rest can be filled with sorcerer skills.

Cool thanks! Should I use master or vma resto staff?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For trials Roaring opportunist + Jorvuld
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thank you all, I think I will go with SPC and MA as I already have both sets. I will also use Rkugamz. What skills should I run? Sorry, first time at healing with a Sorc!

For sorc skills, definitely run Empowered Ward that provides minor intellect to entire group, and if no other sorc is present in group, crystal fragments to proc minor prophecy. If other sorcs are present, you can drop that.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    ixthUA wrote: »

Illustrious Healing in a dungeon group? Seriously? Over Radiating Regeneration?
  • ixthUA
    ixthUA
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thanks! Should I use master or vma resto staff?
    I have 800 magicka recovery and with tri-restoration potions i don't run out of magicka with decent groups. Sometimes someone stands in red zones and i run out of magicka, but it happens rarely.
    On the other hand other players often run out of resource, so extra resource restoration for them would be useful.
    Illustrious Healing in a dungeon group? Seriously? Over Radiating Regeneration?
    Healing 4 players is better than healing 3, isnt it?
  • pihlaja
    pihlaja
    ✭✭✭
    I don’t think there’s a single place in this game where you should choose Winter’s Respite (or other heal buff set) over something that either buffs the group damage or gives sustain. It’s just not needed, you’ll be over-healing so much even without it.

After hollowfang nerf I think Worm’s Raiment is a preferred choice over Stone-talker as a sustain set (burst mag messes up using bahsei + you’ll be wasting time with heavies). But tanks can also use Worms so it requires a bit of coordination or awareness of what the other support is using..

Catalyst could be cool on a sorc because you have access to class lightning AoE. :) but like said, no one knows what will come… MA is also a safe choice, and my go-to dungeon setup with SPC (I don’t have a sorc though but a necro and warden).
    Edited by pihlaja on September 21, 2021 12:52PM
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    pihlaja wrote: »
    I don’t think there’s a single place in this game where you should choose Winter’s Respite (or other heal buff set) over something that either buffs the group damage or gives sustain. It’s just not needed, you’ll be over-healing so much even without it.

After hollowfang nerf I think Worm’s Raiment is a preferred choice over Stone-talker as a sustain set (burst mag messes up using bahsei + you’ll be wasting time with heavies). But tanks can also use Worms so it requires a bit of coordination or awareness of what the other support is using..

Catalyst could be cool on a sorc because you have access to class lightning AoE. :) but like said, no one knows what will come… MA is also a safe choice, and my go-to dungeon setup with SPC (I don’t have a sorc though but a necro and warden).

Thanks a lot. I think I'll go with SPC and MA then.
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer