The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help with Magplar PvP

• Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't build for armor cap. Stacking spell damage gives you defense via beefy heals. I would bar flare for major protection plus the mitigation CPs is enough.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    is 7k spell damage the effective power or raw spell damage after buffs? (no cp)

I already hit armor cap with gaze, 6 light, pariah jewelry and weapons, at around 50% HP.

But attack is weak compared to stamden and the only offensive advantage is charge stun plus break-free not working most of time.

How could people increase the damage? Even with all dmg enchant and mundus I could only push 4k to 5k by trading sustain. Crit chance, crit dmg, spell dmg are very low compared to other classes. My 2nd set is Crafty Alfiq but I have evaluated other sets in build editor and at best they give like 5-10% improvement at the cost of shield strength.

Shield strength is already cut in half, and if you're using Sun Shield, you're doing it wrong, and if you're using Spiked Bone Shield, you're mitigating maybe 2 attacks. If you run a HoT with extra spell damage, it'll buff your damage plus heals. On a magplar, I'd be pushing SD over damage shield.
  • Rakdos
    Rakdos
    ✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »
    is 7k spell damage the effective power or raw spell damage after buffs? (no cp)

I already hit armor cap with gaze, 6 light, pariah jewelry and weapons, at around 50% HP.

But attack is weak compared to stamden and the only offensive advantage is charge stun plus break-free not working most of time.

How could people increase the damage? Even with all dmg enchant and mundus I could only push 4k to 5k by trading sustain. Crit chance, crit dmg, spell dmg are very low compared to other classes. My 2nd set is Crafty Alfiq but I have evaluated other sets in build editor and at best they give like 5-10% improvement at the cost of shield strength.

Some people on Youtube like to show some crazy numbers with so called "full buffed", which is rarely happened in the real fight. things like Balorgh with 500 ultimate points or other situaional sets.

• PancakeHead
    PancakeHead
    ✭✭
    Is there anyone that uses magplar and has a build they like? I tend to try it every now and then but then leave because I spend most of my time on the defensive and feel like I can't take a hit.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is there anyone that uses magplar and has a build they like? I tend to try it every now and then but then leave because I spend most of my time on the defensive and feel like I can't take a hit.

no-proc? magplar is the tankest PVP build I have: vampire stage 3, undeath, pariah, gaze, domihaus, crafty alfiq, dw with main nihorn and off sharpened as others suggested (+15% overall damage), cost-reduction enchants,

High resist, high healing, 2k+ recovery, mitigation ~85% at half HP. I have never run out of magicka in BG and it lasts much longer than my stamden or sorc in pvp, despite only 23k health (30k for stamden).

But I dont like the damage, feels really weak and the only reason it could kill is because of stun and break-free not working. I found my main utility is to stun others' enemies to help them kill, since most don't have or use cheap class stuns.
    Edited by moo_2021 on September 20, 2021 7:47PM
  • PancakeHead
    PancakeHead
    ✭✭
    I mostly play in cp imperial city. I guess my issue is I can be tanky but then can't kill anyone, can hit somewhat hard but then die almost instantly, and can't find a happy medium. I don't remember the last time I killed a mag or stam dk on a magplar. I wish that was a joke. Against gankers I do well but overall it just feels very weak, where a dk (let alone two or more) constantly has me on the defensive and when I attack it appears to do little.

Lately I've been running mechanical acuity (maul sharpened), rotating between different monster sets, and at least the last few weeks mostly using pariah or daedric trickery. I always use ring of the wild hunt or feel like I'm walking with giant bricks on my feet. Sometimes I rotate spinner's in or something but nothing seems to make much of a difference.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not good at all. I just find magplar kind of meh.
    Edited by PancakeHead on September 22, 2021 12:28PM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The build I’ve used recently are:

1. Stuhn back bar only, Trickery 100% on, Vateshran, Malacath, no monster set
    2. Pariah and heartland conqueror, Malacath, 1 piece of whatever

Now…..I want to start using a monster set as well as a mythic but I’m 1000% undecided with regards to what set to use.

I’m thinking War Maiden front and Stuhn back? No idea.
    Pariah or swift back bar only?!?! Mmm doesn’t feel right

I could do with some tips!!!
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on September 25, 2021 9:26AM
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It all depends on how you aim to play. You can't do it all. At least not on a Templar based on my experience.

So what are you aiming to do in PVP? Are we talking about BG, Cyro or IC here? They all favor different playstyles. I suppose Cyro offers the greatest variety but still... Are you looking for a duel build, maybe a speedy build that hovers around the battle picking of targets at the edge of combat (bunny hopping sorcs will outperform you in that no matter what you try.) Are you looking for a brawler build that can jump into the thick of things, deliver some serious whoop-ass and still be tanky enough to pull out back to recover behind your teams front line.Are you looking for small scale action in a resource tower, or do you aim to join big battles where the screen is filled wit FX from dozens of AOEs coming from all directions at once.

The thing is, that people can offer you all sort of weird and wacky builds that they attest worked swell for them, but if you do not follow the logic behind the build, and use them in the same way in battle, you'll just end up looking like a fool.

For example, on my latest magplar build, my first question was - mobility of firepower? If I go for speed and using LOS to save my hide, then I'd be running swift jewelry, but if I go for raw power... then infused Spell damage glyphs it is. If you go for speed, but do not run around rocks and trees, then those traits are wasted. My choice was the extra spell power. I've never really felt comfortable with the Benny Hilling around a bunch of rocks, and prefer big battles in and around keeps, so it's not really for me.

What I personally prefer is big battles, with 20 vs 20 being like the minimum for me to really find the action entertaining. That is what I look for and that is what I build for. I don't trust my internet connection enough to really be able to go toe to toe 1v1 in melee range, where half a second of lag is the difference between breaking a stun and eating a 30k combo, so I don't build for that.

I go for ranged, and I go for pro-active survivability with strong heals, cleanse, and strategic use of specific potions that help me pull back from the action behind my teams lines to refresh my resources. I also depend on heavy attacks for sustain, and many a times my lightning staff attacks are first and foremost there to keep my resources topped. The AOE damage it dishes out due to my high Spellpower, is a nice added bonus that keeps pressure on the opposing team, but I do notice that in smaller fights, where there aren't copious amounts of foes to leech some magicka back from, I tend to run out of resources lot faster and I gotta take a slower approach with my skill use.

That's why I rarely bother fighting tower humping farmers. It's a mismatch between playstyles and builds, and I know I will be at a significant disadvantage in their chosen terrain and thus I choose not to engage them on their terms.

When I do find myself in a duel I do okay, but my aim is always to stay alive and get back to my team, not win the fight as such. If I face a dedicated duel build, my chances of surviving go drastically down. So I try to break the fight and use an invis potion to slip away. Practice and experience are the key here.

So think about your playstyle and how you wanna engage your foes and go from there. Evaluate each component not on the sole merit of their theoretical power, but what they bring to the table for your playsytle. An OP set of gear you never utilize is trash in practice. At least for you. For someone else it might be pure gold.

For example, I've been using Rattle-Cage as the basis for my build for half a year now. It's a value is not in raw stats, but in the fact that it provides me with constant Major Sorcery, and as I aim to maximize my Spell Power that is a key component. As a magplar my options for that are limited, and Rattle-Cage offers a no fuzz solution to having it. I know that I can get better optimal performance with some other set and using say Degeneration or pots, but those options have their own associated costs. Like I noted earlier, flexible pot use is integral part of my defense. I can't waste a pot slot on just keeping one buff up. And Degeneration needs a target, so that has it's ow limits. Plus it takes a skill slot. So, in the end, the always up solution provided by Rattle-Cage wins out in practice, even though it loses on paper.

Think of those bunny hopping sorcs. They always linger at the edge of the battle taunting fools to give chase. You never see them out of their element. That is the key point in success for ESO PVP. You gotta consciously decide on how you aim to go about your business, stick to it, and build for it.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    It all depends on how you aim to play. You can't do it all. At least not on a Templar based on my experience.

So what are you aiming to do in PVP? Are we talking about BG, Cyro or IC here? They all favor different playstyles. I suppose Cyro offers the greatest variety but still... Are you looking for a duel build, maybe a speedy build that hovers around the battle picking of targets at the edge of combat (bunny hopping sorcs will outperform you in that no matter what you try.) Are you looking for a brawler build that can jump into the thick of things, deliver some serious whoop-ass and still be tanky enough to pull out back to recover behind your teams front line.Are you looking for small scale action in a resource tower, or do you aim to join big battles where the screen is filled wit FX from dozens of AOEs coming from all directions at once.

The thing is, that people can offer you all sort of weird and wacky builds that they attest worked swell for them, but if you do not follow the logic behind the build, and use them in the same way in battle, you'll just end up looking like a fool.

For example, on my latest magplar build, my first question was - mobility of firepower? If I go for speed and using LOS to save my hide, then I'd be running swift jewelry, but if I go for raw power... then infused Spell damage glyphs it is. If you go for speed, but do not run around rocks and trees, then those traits are wasted. My choice was the extra spell power. I've never really felt comfortable with the Benny Hilling around a bunch of rocks, and prefer big battles in and around keeps, so it's not really for me.

What I personally prefer is big battles, with 20 vs 20 being like the minimum for me to really find the action entertaining. That is what I look for and that is what I build for. I don't trust my internet connection enough to really be able to go toe to toe 1v1 in melee range, where half a second of lag is the difference between breaking a stun and eating a 30k combo, so I don't build for that.

I go for ranged, and I go for pro-active survivability with strong heals, cleanse, and strategic use of specific potions that help me pull back from the action behind my teams lines to refresh my resources. I also depend on heavy attacks for sustain, and many a times my lightning staff attacks are first and foremost there to keep my resources topped. The AOE damage it dishes out due to my high Spellpower, is a nice added bonus that keeps pressure on the opposing team, but I do notice that in smaller fights, where there aren't copious amounts of foes to leech some magicka back from, I tend to run out of resources lot faster and I gotta take a slower approach with my skill use.

That's why I rarely bother fighting tower humping farmers. It's a mismatch between playstyles and builds, and I know I will be at a significant disadvantage in their chosen terrain and thus I choose not to engage them on their terms.

When I do find myself in a duel I do okay, but my aim is always to stay alive and get back to my team, not win the fight as such. If I face a dedicated duel build, my chances of surviving go drastically down. So I try to break the fight and use an invis potion to slip away. Practice and experience are the key here.

So think about your playstyle and how you wanna engage your foes and go from there. Evaluate each component not on the sole merit of their theoretical power, but what they bring to the table for your playsytle. An OP set of gear you never utilize is trash in practice. At least for you. For someone else it might be pure gold.

For example, I've been using Rattle-Cage as the basis for my build for half a year now. It's a value is not in raw stats, but in the fact that it provides me with constant Major Sorcery, and as I aim to maximize my Spell Power that is a key component. As a magplar my options for that are limited, and Rattle-Cage offers a no fuzz solution to having it. I know that I can get better optimal performance with some other set and using say Degeneration or pots, but those options have their own associated costs. Like I noted earlier, flexible pot use is integral part of my defense. I can't waste a pot slot on just keeping one buff up. And Degeneration needs a target, so that has it's ow limits. Plus it takes a skill slot. So, in the end, the always up solution provided by Rattle-Cage wins out in practice, even though it loses on paper.

Think of those bunny hopping sorcs. They always linger at the edge of the battle taunting fools to give chase. You never see them out of their element. That is the key point in success for ESO PVP. You gotta consciously decide on how you aim to go about your business, stick to it, and build for it.

What a well written answer: lots of very relevant reflections!!

I guess my playstyle and builds are aimed at small groups and duelling
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wear 5 medium armor and slot evasion. You'll thank me later!
  • Rakdos
    Rakdos
    ✭✭
    Abyssmol wrote: »
    Wear 5 medium armor and slot evasion. You'll thank me later!

Until the Update 32 at least

I have access to the major evasion and still got a 16k +8k hit by the dark convergence last night. I have no idea why ZOS are able to hotfix the hrothgar but delibrately leave the dark convergence alone.