The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Hist Bark and Spectre's Eye: a QOL Plea

twing1_
twing1_
✭✭✭✭
TL;DR
The Hist Bark and Spectre's Eye item sets would be more viable as back bar defensive options if their 2 piece bonuses to armor were swapped in order with their 4 piece bonuses to maximum health.

The sets, as they are currently on live:

Hist bark:
(2 items) Adds 1487 Armor
(3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Stamina
(4 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
(5 items) While you are blocking you gain Major Evasion, reducing damage from area attacks by 20%.

Spectre's Eye:
(3 items) Adds 1096 Maximum Magicka
(5 items) When you cast a Magicka Ability while in combat you gain Major Evasion for 30 seconds, reducing damage from area attacks by 20%. This effect can occur once every 30 seconds.

The sets, after the proposed change:

Hist bark:
(2 items) Adds 1206 Maximum Health
(4 items) Adds 1487 Armor
(5 items) While you are blocking you gain Major Evasion, reducing damage from area attacks by 20%.

Spectre's Eye:
(5 items) When you cast a Magicka Ability while in combat you gain Major Evasion for 30 seconds, reducing damage from area attacks by 20%. This effect can occur once every 30 seconds.

The following post is in regards to these two item sets:

Hist bark:

Spectre's Eye:

I've always had my eye on both of these sets as potentially powerful back bar defensive sets on heavy and light armor builds in PvP. However, the same issue on both of these sets is holding me back from using them: the 4 item bonus to maximum health.

The only times I switch to my back bar (defensive bar) are the times when I'm under pressure and already taking damage. In these situations, gaining an extra bonus to maximum health is rendered useless because that portion of health is already missing by the time I switch bars.

Both of these sets suffer from this problem, and both could be remedied with the same very simple fix: if each of these sets' 2 piece bonuses (armor) were swapped in order with their 4 piece bonuses (maximum health), each of these sets would instantly become a lot more viable for back bar options, as the max health bonus would no longer feel wasted and the extra armor could continue to be used while under pressure.

The simple reordering of these sets' 2 and 4 piece bonuses would not alter the stats offered by both of these sets, and would provide a much needed quality of life improvement that allows better use of the maximum health bonus without devaluing the armor bonus. This simple change would only help to bring more use to these currently under-used sets and allow them to compete as viable back barred PvP sets.

If the change proposed above is adopted, this is what the sets would look like, changes in bold:

Hist bark:

Spectre's Eye:

This simple tweak would instantly make each of these sets a lot more attractive to me as back bar options, and I'm sure I'm not alone in this sentiment.
Edited by twing1_ on September 19, 2021 6:19AM
  • Nebula_DooM
    Nebula_DooM
    ✭✭✭
    For spectre's eye they should remove the cooldown for less micromanagement imo. There is no point having a 30 second timed buff and 30 second cooldown for a Major Buff. If it was its own unique buff id understand but it should be removed
  • CharlieFreak
    CharlieFreak
    ✭✭✭
    For spectre's eye they should remove the cooldown for less micromanagement imo. There is no point having a 30 second timed buff and 30 second cooldown for a Major Buff. If it was its own unique buff id understand but it should be removed

So the cooldown starts wthen the effect ends? In my mind, I was thinking it was 100% uptime as long as you casted a magicka spell as soon as it ends.
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭

So the cooldown starts wthen the effect ends? In my mind, I was thinking it was 100% uptime as long as you casted a magicka spell as soon as it ends.

And you are right.
  • Sanctimonia
    Sanctimonia
    ✭✭✭
    While I do agree with the notion of rearranging the set bonuses on Spectre's Eye, I think armor on both bars is more useful than magicka, so an optimal setup of stats would be to have armor and health as 2nd and 3rd piece options, leaving magicka as 4th, since its predominantly a defensive set.

I've been running this set for a couple of months now on templar, and it's actually due to that sole armor bonus being available on my main bar that I keep using it still, apart from the current obvious DC and Hrothgar cheese, which hopefully will soon pass anyway.

Also, I agree with removing the cooldown, especially since the visual effect expires after 25 seconds, leaving you seemingly unbuffed for 5 seconds till the effect actually ends. This becomes a hassle, since I try to rebuff as soon as the effect is visually gone, but there are actually a couple of seconds left before I can actually do so, wasting time and magicka on skills in the process. Buff tracking surely helps, but I don't alway have the capacity to keep checking that in PvP, thus I mostly rely on the visual aspect of the buff.

An easy solution would be to either extend the timer on the visuals to match the duration, or simply remove the cooldown altoghether.
  • Greek_Hellspawn
    Greek_Hellspawn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Easy solution for spectres eye is removing the cd entirely, if not at least reduce it so you can have 100% uptime more easily.