The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

{IDEA} MOTIFs to Reward Minor Boon

kriegernight
kriegernight
✭✭
As a master crafter who actually like the idea that I can make competitive gear, even thought the game is rigged so that you cab never be as good as dropped gear. What I don't really understand is why bother with MOTIFs they are 100% aesthetic and at the end of the day most people put an outfit or costume on over it. I dont yet have a 100 of the motifs in the game but I do have a good collection. I

So my idea would be add boons to the motifs - better Material (iron, steal, ...rubidite) the better the boon. The Rarer the Motif the more extravagant the boon

For Example:

Bosmer/Woodelf - Style Decrease Fall Damage Taken
Khajiit - Reduces your detection radius
Argonian - Increases swimming speed
Dwemer - Increase Inspiration
Glass - Increase Physical Penetration
Deadric - Increase Spell Penetration
Welkynar Style - Stamina/Health/Magika Regeneration
  • KashyyyK240
    KashyyyK240
    ✭✭✭
    As a master crafter who actually like the idea that I can make competitive gear, even thought the game is rigged so that you cab never be as good as dropped gear. What I don't really understand is why bother with MOTIFs they are 100% aesthetic and at the end of the day most people put an outfit or costume on over it. I dont yet have a 100 of the motifs in the game but I do have a good collection. I

So my idea would be add boons to the motifs - better Material (iron, steal, ...rubidite) the better the boon. The Rarer the Motif the more extravagant the boon

For Example:

What about the styles you can only buy from crown shop? Want some p2w in your mmo?
    Also motifs already reward you with something, the ability to do crafting writs and get writ vouchers. WIthout the motifs learnt, you can't craft them and remain poor. I find that to be a reward that's big enough.
  • kriegernight
    kriegernight
    ✭✭
    What about the styles you can only buy from crown shop? Want some p2w in your mmo?
    Also motifs already reward you with something, the ability to do crafting writs and get writ vouchers. Without the motifs learnt, you can't craft them and remain poor. I find that to be a reward that's big enough.

Its cool that its enough for you. This is an idea for those who want more; yes there are some motifs that a crown store exclusives since it does go to help pay for the game and its expansions but in no way is that a pay to win scenario. Style and design in real life have everything from medical to aesthetic enhancing attributes so its not so far fetched.

Would it be so bad to have hand crafted items have a little extra for those of us who prefer making our own Armour instead of scouring for dropped sets that have its own crazy abilities?

• wolfie1.0.
    wolfie1.0.
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    With over 100 motif pages out there (and more coming) this can get out of hand quickly. Maybe if they did something that didn't impact combat, or require balancing that would be fine. But not much more than that.
  • kriegernight
    kriegernight
    ✭✭
    With over 100 motif pages out there (and more coming) this can get out of hand quickly. Maybe if they did something that didn't impact combat, or require balancing that would be fine. But not much more than that.

Completely agree thats why i said a minor boon. this is to just add function to the style but not make it a complete competitor to the dropped stuff
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Great idea however there are some significant issues.

The first issue is some of these directly affect combat while others do not. Swimming speed is not much in combat.
    The second issue follows that in that motifs are also sold in the cash shop which means better boons can sell for more crowns.
    The third issue, and probably the most important, is we have a complex enough combat system as it is. One that is challenging to manage and balance. Adding more complexity such as this would not be good for the game.
  • kriegernight
    kriegernight
    ✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »

Great idea however there are some significant issues.

The first issue is some of these directly affect combat while others do not. Swimming speed is not much in combat.
    The second issue follows that in that motifs are also sold in the cash shop which means better boons can sell for more crowns.
    The third issue, and probably the most important, is we have a complex enough combat system as it is. One that is challenging to manage and balance. Adding more complexity such as this would not be good for the game.

The complexity is what I like.

It seems everyone goes to alcast and creates the same toons over and over. adding complexity is fun. and allows for more individual style play.

The boons need to be minor so not to compete with the in-game drops but decent enough to add reason and meaning to motifs and crafters.

Although the game has a great PvP system there should be some added items for those of us that prefer the solo gaming style that we do 80to90% of the time.

So why not have some thing increase different aspects of the game and not just combat.
    Psijic Order may increase amounts of items per node
    Celestial may add a small bit of oblivion damage
    Argonian Increases swimming speed

I'm not saying the ones ive placed are the say all or end all im just saying add a little boon to make the purpose of motifs more than just a Writ variable especially now that the styles generator is what most people use.