The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Multithreaded rendering FPS cap

woe
woe
✭✭✭✭
Using the command "SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.00694444"" in usersettings.txt should lock my FPS at 144. I went into Cyrodil after the update and my FPS is still going ABOVE 144. Is there anything that I can do to lock it?
uwu
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    We are currently tracking an issue where in-game settings are not saving for some players. We'll provide more updates as they become available.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Options
    Staff Post
  • Luke_Flamesword
    Luke_Flamesword
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    btw Can we have in future possibility to set fps cap in game settings, not only by editing text file?
    PC | EU | DC |Stam Dk Breton
    Options
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    btw Can we have in future possibility to set fps cap in game settings, not only by editing text file?

If you are into addons Votan has an Advanced Settings Addon that allows you to modify additional settings in the game, including your FPS. It's on the fly and it works with Multi-Thread Render.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
    Options
  • macsmooth
    macsmooth
    ✭✭✭✭
    If memory serves that doesn’t cap your FPS it just allows the game to render and use upto that FPS

You have to go into your graphic card software and cap you max FPS to 144 if you want it to not go beyond 144
    deflorate wrote: »
    Using the command "SET MinFrameTime.2 "0.00694444"" in usersettings.txt should lock my FPS at 144. I went into Cyrodil after the update and my FPS is still going ABOVE 144. Is there anything that I can do to lock it?

Edited by macsmooth on August 23, 2021 7:52PM
    Options
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    macsmooth wrote: »
    If memory serves that doesn’t cap your FPS it just allows the game to render and use upto that FPS

You have to go into your graphic card software and cap you max FPS to 144 if you want it to not go beyond 144
    deflorate wrote: »

I'm pretty sure the way it works is the FPS is already capped in-game. Using the command in the usersettings changes what your cap is set to. If you want to uncap it completely you set it to "0.000000"
    uwu
    Options
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭

If you are into addons Votan has an Advanced Settings Addon that allows you to modify additional settings in the game, including your FPS. It's on the fly and it works with Multi-Thread Render.

Every way to cap FPS adds some Lag/Latency (even on driver side if you do it in the eg nvidia control panel). The way to add the least lag is to cap FPS in the game itself, if the game offers this option (like eso does) via the described way in the users settings.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
    Options
  • Sordidfairytale
    Sordidfairytale
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Every way to cap FPS adds some Lag/Latency (even on driver side if you do it in the eg nvidia control panel). The way to add the least lag is to cap FPS in the game itself, if the game offers this option (like eso does) via the described way in the users settings.

Sure, if you want to edit the UserSettings file, that will do the same thing without the resource load from having the addon installed, but personally I prefer to use the addon and I don't notice any difference between having the addon or not. YMMV.
    The Vegemite Knight

"if the skeleton kills you, your dps is too low." ~STEVIL

The Elder World of WarScrollCraft Online ~joaaocaampos
    Options
  • silver1surfer69
    silver1surfer69
    ✭✭✭✭

Sure, if you want to edit the UserSettings file, that will do the same thing without the resource load from having the addon installed, but personally I prefer to use the addon and I don't notice any difference between having the addon or not. YMMV.

Yeah, but im not talking about a ressource load but an addition of lag, like input lag. That lag that will dispaly the picture that u see later (eg compared to an opponent that u fight if he has less lag). Similarily to vertical synchronization (vsynch), that adds a lot of lag. These are just fractions of a seconds but ppl that strive to play competitively care a lot about this.
    PC/EU
    Loveknight - HybridDK (4*), Stahlstrahlenreiter - StamDen, Azgul Grahl Bashrugk - HybridSorc (5*), Tínúvíél - StamCro, Thógard - StamPlar
    Options