The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Alliance points to get caltrops

fiender66
fiender66
✭✭✭✭
Pls forgive this maybe dumb question.
I've read somewhere that alliance points may be used to raise the skill line and get the caltrops. Is this right? And if yes, how do I use those points that, thanks to the last month rewards, are now stacked in the bank?
Thanks in advance (OFC I'm a pure PVEer, doing only occasional BG :) ).
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The alliance skill lines are levelled by gaining AP, not spending AP. So the more AP you earn the more the skill goes up.

If you want to level that skill line then you need to do some PvP .
    Too many toons not enough time
  • ghastley
    ghastley
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The alliance skill lines are levelled by gaining AP, not spending AP. So the more AP you earn the more the skill goes up.

If you want to level that skill line then you need to do some PvP .

Or make sure that the level-up reward of AP is always collected by the same character. It will be very slow that way.
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very slow - you can do it a bit faster going into cyrodiil and staying well behind the fighting just repairing keep walls and doors.
    Too many toons not enough time
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My magplar is a 'First Sergeant of Wall Repair'. She has maxed out the Alliance skill lines and literally 90% of her AP came from repairing keeps. With one character having maxed the skill lines, I could buy a token from the Crown Store to get the desired skills for other characters - which is why I focused on maxing one character. Some things I learned:

Enter Cyrodiil and do the tutorial there - it is safe and earns quite a bit of AP.

As @ghastley said, always claim any daily login rewards that are AP with the same character.

The stat 'healing done' also applies to repairs - that is, you repair more efficiently, earning more AP for each repair kit used and reducing the number of repair kits you have to buy to earn AP. My magplar is a healer but actually equips different gear for repairing sessions to further boost her 'healing done' (one piece of Earthgore and two pieces of Senche-raht's Grit). This is relevant because even at great efficiency, it will still cost you more AP to buy kits than you earn. I did have to sometimes augment by buying repair kits for gold but figured that was just part of the cost of doing business.

I was not in a hurry, so I leveled by binging on repairs only during double AP events like Midyear Mayhem.

With practice, you learn to 'read' the map of Cyrodiil in terms of what keeps are likely to need repair and how to safely get around.

It also earns you plenty of Rewards of the Worthy coffers. Only open one of those a day since the first one you open each day is guaranteed to have a transmute geode in it.
    Edited by AcadianPaladin on September 7, 2021 11:54AM
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks to u all for the helpful answers.

To this day, I've reached lvl 6 in assault skill line with only one toon, and only participating in BG. For me, that do not enjoy PVP, this looks like the simpler way to get Caltrops. Not the more productive maybe, but simpler and relatively fast, if one has luck with random groups.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need 145,600 AP to progress Assault skill to 6 and unlock Caltrops.
    https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Alliance_Points
    That would be probably 3-4 hours zerg surfing in Cyrodiil or about the same queueing for random BGs.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    That would be probably 3-4 hours zerg surfing in Cyrodiil or about the same queueing for random BGs.

Tks Asardes.
    LOL, I do not even know what "zerg surfing" means (my bad...), but usually I am able to give some (moderate) contribution to any group in BG, especially in Chaosball. Besides, my queues for BG are usually rather quick, say, like those for heal in random normal dungeons.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    fiender66 wrote: »
    Asardes wrote: »

Tks Asardes.
    LOL, I do not even know what "zerg surfing" means (my bad...), but usually I am able to give some (moderate) contribution to any group in BG, especially in Chaosball. Besides, my queues for BG are usually rather quick, say, like those for heal in random normal dungeons.

Well it means you join a group and ride with it flipping keeps, resources etc. Preferably also spam AOE heals and repair doors and walls in the process to gain even more. My advice is to do both tutorial quests available in your alliance base in Cyrodiil since those alone give the first 10-12k AP and explain how to use siege equipment.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |