Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Everyone thinks they're super talented and play in "High MMR"

SkaraMinoc
SkaraMinoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
MMR is not visible to the player. ESO many not even have an actual MMR. It could be the number of games played recently and win/loss has nothing to do with it.

So stop saying you play in "high MMR" to try and sound like an elite PvPer. In 5-10 years when they give us an actual rating, then you can use it.
PC NA
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgive my ignorance but what is MMR?
  • Dojohoda
    Dojohoda
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Measles, Mumps, and Rubella
    Fan of playing magblade since 2015. (PC NA)
    Might be joking in comments.
    -->(((Cyrodiil)))<--
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR is just a term to standardize someone's skill in a video game.

When you BG and duel everyday, you'll recognize players and know everyone's skill level. When I say high MMR, I mean people that are in the higher bracket of PvP, because I know who they are and what they are capable of.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MMR is match making rank. In ESO it places people in Battleground proficiency ranks, and uses that data to prioritize group formation and matching. It helps avoid (but not completely) brand new players going against people with a thousand hours into BG.

While it’s true that no one can see their MMR, it was confirmed by Zeni that it ranks up based on play time, and only goes up, never down (except when MMR was completely reset for everyone as stated in patch notes). So anyone who spends considerable time in BG rightly assumes they have high MMR.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Moriz
    Moriz
    ✭✭✭
    I have no idea on functionality of it, but there is for sure an "MMR system" of some kind.

I have been playing ESO on and off since 2017. Sometimes I play for months and exclusively for BGs and sometimes I take long breaks, even up to a year+.
    Whenever I get back to playing ESO I have almost instant pop queues and I'm going 35-0 every game playing vs people who are clearly not real PvP players.
    After a week of randomness I start facing premades and incredibly strong players every single game, with longer queues on average.
    This has happened religiously EVERY time I either got back to the game after a break OR when I play different characters. So based on personal experience, they do have some sort of MMR system. We need to keep in mind through that true matchmaking would never work in ESO because of the small population of actual "BG players" in the game I think.
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    mmr is a myth in eso. The reality is that the player base isn't large enough to support mmr. You are literally catching groups as soon as there are enough people.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    MMR is match making rank. In ESO it places people in Battleground proficiency ranks, and uses that data to prioritize group formation and matching. It helps avoid (but not completely) brand new players going against people with a thousand hours into BG.

While it’s true that no one can see their MMR, it was confirmed by Zeni that it ranks up based on play time, and only goes up, never down (except when MMR was completely reset for everyone as stated in patch notes). So anyone who spends considerable time in BG rightly assumes they have high MMR.

OK thanks, great explanation.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all 100% accurate based upon what we've been told by ZOS.

So if you've been playing for a long time since a reset (on the same character, as MMR is rated by character, not account), then you likely are in high MMR. This is further confirmed by seeing other players in your matches who you know play very frequently.

@SkaraMinoc
    So anyone who understands MMR can fairly confidently say that they are in high MMR if they have played a lot on a single character. In doing so, they are not saying they have a high level of skill. Instead, they are saying they play in a pool of people who have played a lot of battlegrounds, so at the very least there are probably some skilled players playing with them, and not many, if any, players who are new to battlegrounds.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • PhoenixGrey
    PhoenixGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Except I m an elite high MMR pvp player. You can join me in a bg and find out yourself
  • mmtaniac
    mmtaniac
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah mmr is too high for some players. Mmr working with how many you match played is bad system. Sometimes i would like stuck in bronze like in other games but can't reduce mmr.
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I must be an elite player if they match me against "Fengrush" :)

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Shomenuchi
    Shomenuchi
    ✭✭✭
    I am pretty frequently placed to BG team alone so I play 1vs4vs4. I used to think that was just bad team matching, but NOW I know it's MMR and I'm...oh yeah!
    xD
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shomenuchi wrote: »
    I am pretty frequently placed to BG team alone so I play 1vs4vs4. I used to think that was just bad team matching, but NOW I know it's MMR and I'm...oh yeah!
    xD

They are just balancing you properly.
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Forgive my ignorance but what is MMR?

you know you are playing with supposed MMR folks is they go berserk when they don't win!!
  • Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭

First of all, I did see this when the thread was new and I did agree with you. But I later I overheard Rich on his stream answering a question about how MMR works.

He briefly explained that if you win, your MMR goes up. He then said "if you finish dead last, it goes down."
    I'm assuming this translates to:
    Team #1 -> MMR+x
    Team #2 -> MMR+0
    Team #3 -> MMR-y

Edit:
    Here's the link
    https://www.twitch.tv/slashlurk/v/1132001827?sr=a&t=2168s
    Edited by Jackey on September 5, 2021 3:18PM
    PS | EU
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jackey wrote: »

First of all, I did see this when the thread was new and I did agree with you. But I later I overheard Rich on his stream answering a question about how MMR works.

He briefly explained that if you win, your MMR goes up. He then said "if you finish dead last, it goes down."
    I'm assuming this translates to:
    Team #1 -> MMR+x
    Team #2 -> MMR+0
    Team #3 -> MMR-y

That’s counter to what was communicated when it came up a couple of years ago, but I’m not going to dig through old Lives to find the clip, and I’m happy they changed that.

I don’t entirely know that it’s true, since dedicated Deathmatch players often come in dead last because we don’t care about objectives, but there’s zero change in the population we are matched against. It’s the same 20 people over and over (and over and over). The only shakeup is the people who are clearly there for their daily and only appear for one match.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Moriz wrote: »
    I have no idea on functionality of it, but there is for sure an "MMR system" of some kind.

I have been playing ESO on and off since 2017. Sometimes I play for months and exclusively for BGs and sometimes I take long breaks, even up to a year+.
    Whenever I get back to playing ESO I have almost instant pop queues and I'm going 35-0 every game playing vs people who are clearly not real PvP players.
    After a week of randomness I start facing premades and incredibly strong players every single game, with longer queues on average.
    This has happened religiously EVERY time I either got back to the game after a break OR when I play different characters. So based on personal experience, they do have some sort of MMR system. We need to keep in mind through that true matchmaking would never work in ESO because of the small population of actual "BG players" in the game I think.

While I agree with most of this, I don't think MMR ever goes down unless there's a reset (which happens pretty rarely), even if you take a long break.

Also, playing in sub-50 BGs also seems to raise your MMR, but I don't think there are enough players for it to have much effect until you hit 50. The result, is that if you play BGs while leveling, there's a huge (and extremely annoying/discouraging) difficulty spike when you hit 50. For years, I thought that level 50 BGs were all unbelievably hard, with massively unrealistic gear requirements for new 50s, but the latest MMR reset made me realize that I was just earning my way into a high-ish MMR tier while leveling (and effectively jumping from the very low sub-50 tier to something much higher the instant I hit 50).