Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

How do you know when you are ready for Veteran level content?

Tornaad
Tornaad
✭✭✭✭✭
How do you know when you are ready for Veteran level content?

I am a mostly casual player who has been playing for a few years. While I have soloed a few normal group dungeons like Fungal Gratto and completed the normal level of both single player challenges, I really do not know what a conservative standard would be to determine when I will be ready for veteran level content.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't have an official answer, but one of the ways to find out would be to jump into vet dailies and see how you do.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Veteran dungeon difficulty is very very variable.
    - Some are really not much different except a few things hurt a bit more or there is a mechanic you need to dodge roll out of not just ignore (eg Fungal Grotto). Many of them are easier than some of the DLC dungeons
    - Some are harder, a few jump massively in difficulty, and some of the DLC ones are very very hard indeed
    Too many toons not enough time
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You raise a good point, @etchedpixels and I would kind of suggest trying them in order. So to speak.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always try vet maelstrom to test your solo skill. I’d say most vet dungeons are a little easier than vMA, while most vet trials are a little harder.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could always try vet maelstrom to test your solo skill. I’d say most vet dungeons are a little easier than vMA, while most vet trials are a little harder.

I have been thinking about that. Currently when I run normal MA, I die ... a lot on the Vault of Umbrage. I am getting closer to figuring out the patterns on it.
  • Tornaad
    Tornaad
    ✭✭✭✭✭

@WrathOfInnos also which is easier Veteran Maelstrom Arena, or Veteran Vateshran Hollows?
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Veteran Fungal Grotto 1, Darkshades 1, Elden Hollow 1 are MUCH easier than something like VMA. In fact, all of the base dungeons on veteran are doable for someone who has run NMA, dungeons, or trials on normal. If you are confident in your rotation and can stay alive in those things, you will do fine in veteran content.

You may find the "2' type dungeons difficult, because that is when the mechanics and one shots begin for real. Veteran content like trials or DLC dungeons are a different animal altogether.

Basic tips, work on your rotation and study up on mechanics before doing vet content. Low DPS can get you killed, not knowing mechanics will get you killed in vet content.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm primarily a solo player and can solo a good handful of non-dlc dungeons on normal. When thinking about vet dungeons, I'm very conservative as well. In fact, I completely avoid dlc dungeons solo/group/normal/vet - completely avoid them. So I am talking about non-dlc dungeons. To feel ready, I make sure I can solo the dungeon on normal. Then I watch a good youtube vid with narration that explains the mechanics as they go. Though I know the dungeon, I'm looking for vet differences. For example, FG1 final boss: on normal you can block the telegraphed big red circle on the ground and survive; on vet, that attack is a one shot to non-tanks and you must roll out of red before it goes off. Once I feel ready, I try a vet pug (a coordinated group would be much better if you have one) and see how it goes.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo