The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

"fetcher"?

fiender66
fiender66
✭✭✭✭
English is not my first language, and I'm baffled by the frequent use by Mirri of the idioms "fetcher", "fetching", etc. This time, Google has not helped me much.
Would anyone be so kind to give me some synonym and/or explanation?
Thanks in advance :)
  • temerley
    temerley
    ✭✭✭
    Fetcher is a common insult from the early 16th century. It means [snip]. An example yould be 'You Fetcher.' Or 'Son of a Fetcher.'

[edited for profanity bypass]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 29, 2021 11:17AM
  • temerley
    temerley
    ✭✭✭
    The censored word is a female dog if you know what I mean
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    They're also a type of bug that likely plague people everywhere, and would be similar to calling someone by the name of a pest of nuisance.
  • fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    All clear now. My curiosity is satisfied. Thanks you all.

Let me ask, besides: is it more British slang or US?
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fiender66 wrote: »
    All clear now. My curiosity is satisfied. Thanks you all.

I don't think it's used anywhere in real life any more.

Aside from the Urban Dictionary definition quoted above I can't even find many mentions online of fetcher as an insult which aren't directly related to the Elder Scrolls series and I can't remember hearing anyone say it, either in Britain or America (or anywhere else in the world). I've also found it listed on a few websites as a purely fictional swear word made up for the Elder Scrolls.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • Ilsabet
    Ilsabet
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Near as I can tell, it's pretty much a made-up word that the Dunmer like to use that may or may not resemble a different f-word that wouldn't get past the censors. :D
    Ilsabet Menard - DC Breton Nightblade archer - Savior of Pretty Much Everything, Grand Overlord & Empress Nubcakes
    Katarin Auclair - DC Breton Warden healer & ice mage
    My characters and their overly elaborate backstories
    Ilsabet's Headcanon
    The Adventures of Torbyrn Windchaser - Breaking the Ice & Ashes to Ashes
    PC NA
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think she means to insult the player since most of the quest we're doing are "fetch this" and "fetch that" and she's probably bored out of her mind ...
    sleep2.gif

• M_Volsung
    M_Volsung
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, fetcher flies are a thing in Morrowind.
    "In the Deep Halls, Far from Men;
    Forsaken Red Mountain, Twisted Kin;
    Hail the Mind, Hail the Stone;
    Dwarven Pride, Stronger than Bone"

—Dwemer Inquiries I-III, Thelwe Ghelein
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    fiender66 wrote: »

It's from Morrowind TES III
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • etchedpixels
    etchedpixels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an American game. They can't use the word she'd actually use for cultural reasons.

Too many toons not enough time
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's an American game. They can't use the word she'd actually use for cultural reasons.

That's a big part of it, but I think in fantasy it can also help with world building. Aside from references to sex or defecating (which are fairly universal, although there are exceptions) swear words are often very cultural, so in a fantasy world with different cultures, history and religion it makes sense they'd use different swear words.

In this case I think 'fetcher' is almost certainly a reference to fetcher flies, which are incredibly annoying. (Although I like a suggestion I read that it's analogous to the British insult 'tosser', partially because the literal meanings are opposites but as an insult it could mean the same thing.)

It's a common problem when translating between real-life languages as well. I read a very interesting article a while ago about a comment made by a US politician about people from some other countries, and how that was translated by journalists reporting on it in other languages. A literal translation would often be nonsense, or at least not remotely offensive. Some explained it, some used an analogy to get the general meaning across and some substituted another insult. (My favourite of those was "places unfit to be manure".)

(Even going between variations of English it can be a problem, I've had American friends pick up on British swear words they think are funny or even 'cute' and I've had to warn them to be very careful who they say it around and especially who they say it to because in the wrong circumstances it would be extremely offensive.)
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It could also be derogatory meaning a person who just runs around bringing and fetching things for others like a slave.