The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Question about RIng of the Pale Order and Companion Healer

jackiemanuel
jackiemanuel
✭✭✭
I played the game briefly at launch and just returned to it three months ago. I mostly play solo during odd hours. I obtained the Ring of the Pale Order yesterday. It took two days to go from 1-7 in Antiquities and then to get the leads. Not bad actually. I was expecting it would take longer.

Anyway, to my question: Is the healing output by the ring reduced if you have Mirri or Bastion geared as healers? It says it's reduced by "4% for per ally you are grouped with" but i don't know if they count as an ally.

For any solo players with the companions and the ring, how do you gear your companion?

I feel like i have enough healing with just the ring but then i couldn't get through Vet Wayrest II last night with both the ring and a bastion healer. Of course that could just be because i'm a noob with slow hands.

Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nope they don't. Group only mean players.

Are you playing tank? I thought it requires very high resist and HP to solo vet? Did some vet I and the last boss' normal attack could kill me by 2 strikes... can't wear both gaze and the ring
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    moo_2021 wrote: »

Are you playing tank? I thought it requires very high resist and HP to solo vet? Did some vet I and the last boss' normal attack could kill me by 2 strikes... can't wear both gaze and the ring

I made it about halfway through Vet Wayrest II. After dying four times to boss i quit. I got him down to 15% or so each time so i think i maybe i could get there. I don't know about resistances needed. I got the ring last night and went straight to that dungeon to see what i could do.
    I'm magicka templar, 64 magicka, CP 350, solo build, gear nothing special(mother's sorrow, juliano's, pale order) and bastion light armor/resto at first and then switched him to tank the last two tries. In each scenario i died at roughly the same spot.
    Maybe it's not possible at my CP. I'm not that experienced or skilled so it's hard to tell.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I made it about halfway through Vet Wayrest II. After dying four times to boss i quit. I got him down to 15% or so each time so i think i maybe i could get there. I don't know about resistances needed. I got the ring last night and went straight to that dungeon to see what i could do.
    I'm magicka templar, 64 magicka, CP 350, solo build, gear nothing special(mother's sorrow, juliano's, pale order) and bastion light armor/resto at first and then switched him to tank the last two tries. In each scenario i died at roughly the same spot.
    Maybe it's not possible at my CP. I'm not that experienced or skilled so it's hard to tell.

You mean Wayrest I? Because in II you have this altair mechanics on 2nd boss and it is requiring extremely looong trick to pass ^^

But even if this is I, the last boss is one of the worst in the game, because it is quasiNB, so she has insane burst and to win solo with her you need to massive amounts of HP.

Try something easier like Tempest Island. Once you got mechanics, you can do a hardmode ;)

And I am playing stamplar with deadly & DV, stampede+brawler+jabs on front & maelstrom bow with EH + Caltrops on back. The worst part is sustain but luckily templar Restoration skills come in handy. Redemption (or how they call it) for stamina + heal & Cleansing + Rune Focus for HOT. Try to stand you ground within healing area. Also, depending on the situation I am using Mirri for healing (LA+Resto, this skill for resetting cooldowns is nice) or Bastian as a tank (HA+S&B).
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healer companion is kind of a crapshoot, the general problem with companion healing is you're thinking too much like a player and they heal whenever the conditions are met regardless of who may be in range. You're not always going to get the heal when you need it and the long cooldowns make it unreliable unlike a player who can spam nonstop or when necessary. Like with Mending Incantation (their version of Combat Prayer) won't move to position it to cast it on you like a player would, it hits whoever is in front of them when it goes off or just themselves then its down for 16 seconds.

If you do plan on using them to heal, I suggest giving them 1h+shield and all Quickened. Why not a Resto staff, because they will dodge roll to oblivion when the enemy they are targeting gets near them. With a 1h+shield they won't dodge roll unless they fall below 25% health so are always in close range to you and have a little extra armor. Quickened reduces the cooldown to a point you get more frequent casts and less time spent auto attacking, rather than having a crucial healing spell cast at the wrong time wasting it, you're more likely to get casts on you with shorter downtimes.

Mirri is the better choice with her passive to 3% healing and two attacks that also heal. Twilight Mantle or On Guard for self protection; Crimson Font and/or Skeletal Aegis if you want the restore Synergy bonus from Undaunted Command passive; Life Absorption, Blood Transfusion, Life Siphon, Reverse Entropy, Ritual of Salvation, and Haste are your other options. If you're using Bastian then add Drake's Blood for self protection, Kindle is somewhat okay but has a 75% health condition, and Basalt Barrier won't last more than 1 hit so that 15% bonus healing is gone in a second.
  • buttaface
    buttaface
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions have allowed to solo stuff like Craglorn Crystals and add more QOL to other solo that was very tough in the past for me just due to Ritual of Salvation on the Companion, adds lots of breathing room. Build I use is 2H on MIrri with both executes, Rituation of Salvation, Crystal Font, and if lots of adds, Masque/Fear, if not many adds, Blood Transfusion. The two executes and fear are more useful to me than more heals, she will cast them instantly on CD and they are great on add heavy stuff and to speed things up generally. I find that it's not the damage that ends up killing me but once things take long enough, I will make a crucial mistake or run into resource mgmt.

This new patch is a whole new world of solo possibilities with the addition of major/minor maim and brittle onto frost clench and major protection onto flare. Then there is an extra 30% dmg reduction on psijic channels. Not accounting diminishing returns, a High Elf can get 50% reduction while channeling several thousand health and resource regen (Maj/min prot, racial, and psijic passive while meditating) and another 15% dmg reduction differential from ONE skill on an ice staff.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Companions count as grouped allies. I see a very noticeable drop in healing from the ring when they're around and it really messes with my vampire build. Good news is the Companion's Blood Altar synergy can heal you but that's about all they can do for you in terms of healing when wearing the ring.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    Companions count as grouped allies. I see a very noticeable drop in healing from the ring when they're around and it really messes with my vampire build. Good news is the Companion's Blood Altar synergy can heal you but that's about all they can do for you in terms of healing when wearing the ring.

Well damn. Then it was stupid of me to have bastion as a healer because he wasn't healing me at all. I wonder if i should just ditch the companion or if the blood altar synergy + whatever damage they can help with makes them worth it.

• jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭

You mean Wayrest I? Because in II you have this altair mechanics on 2nd boss and it is requiring extremely looong trick to pass ^^

Yeah, that's what i meant. Thanks for the correction.
    Edited by jackiemanuel on August 31, 2021 5:51PM
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I run mirri and ring of pale order while soloing dungeons. You do lose 4% healing return on it, but the heals from mirri more than make up for that.

Sounds to me like you have a solid start on a solo build. I prefer stamina toons but my magplar uses Medusa and scathing mage to solo. About 25k hp plus I run a damage shield that absorbs 15k.
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    I run mirri and ring of pale order while soloing dungeons. You do lose 4% healing return on it, but the heals from mirri more than make up for that.

Sounds to me like you have a solid start on a solo build. I prefer stamina toons but my magplar uses Medusa and scathing mage to solo. About 25k hp plus I run a damage shield that absorbs 15k.

Wait, so you do get some heals from the companion? The tool tip for Pale Order reads:

Restore 20% of the damage you deal as Health. This value is decreased by 4% per ally you are grouped with. You cannot be healed by anyone but yourself.

So i assumed that meant her heals were worthless?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wait, so you do get some heals from the companion? The tool tip for Pale Order reads:

Restore 20% of the damage you deal as Health. This value is decreased by 4% per ally you are grouped with. You cannot be healed by anyone but yourself.

Companions count as pets for the sake of the ring, so if you can be healed by the clannfear or twilight matriarch with the ring on then you can be healed by companions all the same.
  • Folkb
    Folkb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I thought if you wore pale order other people including your ally couldn't heal you?
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭
    Folkb wrote: »
    I thought if you wore pale order other people including your ally couldn't heal you?

I thought the same.
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yes, although the tooltip makes it seem like companions wouldn't be able to heal you, they can. Ring of the pale order + healer companion has made soloing difficult content much much easier. Easier than when we had 10k iceheart shields!
  • jackiemanuel
    jackiemanuel
    ✭✭✭

Yes, although the tooltip makes it seem like companions wouldn't be able to heal you, they can. Ring of the pale order + healer companion has made soloing difficult content much much easier. Easier than when we had 10k iceheart shields!

Thanks for the clarification. I just got the ring sunday and haven't had time to play with it since.
  • CasgarTheSomnolent
    CasgarTheSomnolent
    ✭✭✭
    Related question I'm not going to make a separate thread about:

Do companions count as group members for the sake of the XP gain modifier? In other words, do you get the two-person bonus for XP gain if you have your companion out, and conversely do you get the 3- and 4-person detriments to XP gain if say two players and their two companions are grinding Blackrose as opposed to just the two players themselves?
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Related question I'm not going to make a separate thread about:

Do companions count as group members for the sake of the XP gain modifier? In other words, do you get the two-person bonus for XP gain if you have your companion out, and conversely do you get the 3- and 4-person detriments to XP gain if say two players and their two companions are grinding Blackrose as opposed to just the two players themselves?

They don't change your experience gains in any way. However any increase in experience gains you receive from kills (like with exp scrolls, training gear, or ambrosia) will give the companion more experience for leveling and skills.