The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can't enable or disable addons or game settings (plus more) [FIX IN THREAD]

Stalwart385
Stalwart385
✭✭✭✭
Since the update I've been getting strange issues. No one I talk to is having these issues. Hopefully I can get some help here.

These are the bugs that I’ve noticed so far:

1. The intro video plays every time I log in to my account.

2. I get a notification that I have out-of-date addons every time I log into a character or reloadui (more on this later).

3. This is the big one. I can't enable or disable addons. Every time I reloadui my addons revert back to the settings before the update.

The only way I can change addon settings is at the character select screen. If I log into a character any reloadui will revert back to those old settings. Even if I change setting on another character and reloadui, every character will revert back to the old setting.

I tried disabling all addons at character select. When I logged in all addons were correctly disabled, but I still got the notification that I had out-of-date addons? Any reloadui after that reverted the settings back.

I tried repairing the game but that didn’t work. A full reinstall may be next but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible. Especially if it wont fix the issue.

Any help is appreciated.
Edited by Stalwart385 on August 27, 2021 9:36AM
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    UPDATE:

I tried this as well with no luck.

I uninstalled all my addons (intro video still played).
    I logged in to a character (no out-of-date addon message)
    I reinstalled one old addon. This is one that kept re-enabling itself before.
    Reloadui and the addon was enabled (got out-of-date addon message)
    Disabled the addon and reloadui. The addon didn't disable.

This doesn't appear to be an addon taking action, it seems to be the game.

UPDATE2:

I reinstalled all add-ons. Now the settings I'm stuck with is everything enabled. I can't disable any of the addons.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on August 25, 2021 9:10AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Stalwart385

Have you tried the steps below for completely removing ESO add-ons?

How do I get rid of my add-ons?
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally, I don't want to remove my addons completely, because eventually they'll be updated, and then you'll have to reconfigure all their settings because of removing them.

so that is totally unhelpful advice BillE
    we can disable and reenable them to help with issues due to updates, but
    that's really unhelpful if total uninstall is your "solution"

it's your spaghetti code that broke being able to disable mods that's the bug reported here, not the mod itself.
    also on the intro video replaying each time, I checked my usersettings file and still have a 1 in skip preview movie..
    doesn't matter, it acts as if that file does not exist and plays it every time.
    that's on your end.
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

UPDATE3:

I did a full reinstall of the game with no luck

UPDATE4:

I completely removed addons folder, savedvariables folder and AddOnSettings.txt under "Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\live"
    I logged into character, no addons shown
    I freshly installed an addon and reloadui, addon was enabled
    I disabled addon and reloadui, addon was still enabled.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on August 26, 2021 3:48AM
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    I believe I have the same issue. I haven't tried to disable or enable addons, but I expect I would get the same behaviour you have.

- I do get the intro video when I login every day since patch.
    - I do get an out-of-date-addons message every time
    - trying to change settings (like trying to enable the multi-threaded rendering feature) is not saved when I close the game, so everything I change is reverted to how it was before after a game restart

what I did for now was check my userSettings and addonSettings files for write protection, but they are not protected. so nothing should prevent them from being overwritten by settings changes.

I'm on Windows 10, non-steam version of the game.

EDIT: I thought I should add that I can switch servers, like from NA to EU and vice versa. Any settings changes are preserved during this. Only completely closing the game reverts everything. Feels like the changes are only save either in some internal memory or a temporary folder on my PC that gets deleted after the game closes.
    Edited by feyii on August 26, 2021 2:16PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Stalwart385

Thank you for the update on the troubleshooting. At this point we recommend opening a ticket with customer support for further assistance looking into this add-on issue.
    Staff Post
  • RecktrithiusOediphitry
    I am having the same problems after last update, this is not an addon issue, it's an update issue.
    Edited by RecktrithiusOediphitry on August 26, 2021 8:10PM
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
    Anyone having this issue I figured out a fix.

The Waking Flames update didn't agree with my antivirus (Avast). If I disable my antivirus everything behaves correctly.

Disabling antivirus isn't a solution, so I added an exception. I added this folder exception in my anti-virus (includes subfolders)

...\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\*
    (edit: also add) ...\Program Files (x86)\Zenimax Online\*

You have to restart the game for it to take effect.
    Edited by Stalwart385 on August 27, 2021 9:41AM
  • Stalwart385
    Stalwart385
    ✭✭✭✭
  • alsonotan0rc
    alsonotan0rc
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone having this issue I figured out a fix.

The Waking Flames update didn't agree with my antivirus (Avast). If I disable my antivirus everything behaves correctly.

Disabling antivirus isn't a solution, so I added an exception. I added this folder (and subfolder) exception in my anti-virus

...\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\*

You have to restart the game for it to take effect.

Thank you! This has been driving me crazy and it would have taken me a lot longer to figure out without this thread. I had to add 2 exceptions, one in documents like you mentioned and a second for the game install directory.

As a side note, Avast stopped playing nice with Minion as well. So if anyone's having problems with Minion updating addons, try adding exceptions for the Minion.exe location.
  • feyii
    feyii
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Stalwart385 Thank you, this helped.

I did have to add an exception for both, the ESO folder in my documents as well as the game's install directory itself. But after doing both, my settings changes are not reverted anymore.

Like you and @alsonotan0rc, I'm also using Avast for anti virus. Would be interesting to know if it is specifically Avast which has a problem with the latest patch, or if it's also other anti virus software.
    Edited by feyii on August 27, 2021 7:00AM
  • RecktrithiusOediphitry
    @Stalwart385 thanks, worked like a charm.
  • Arato
    Arato
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Finally some useful advice rather than the useless advice from ZOS that thought it was an addon problem not a problem with their own system of being able to enable and disable addons.
  • ctar99neb17_ESO
    Adding that i tried this with AVG (adding Exceptions), and prophet still tells me a storm is comming everytime i log in.

Edit: Turning AVG off does fix it though so i guess i need to turn it off whenever i want to change settings too...
    Edited by ctar99neb17_ESO on August 30, 2021 2:35PM
  • Danny_Fluke
    @ctar99neb17_ESO I'm using AVG too and it works fine. Have you tried making ESO an allowed app, in addition to the exclusions?

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlname=Use-AVG-Antivirus-blocked-allowed-apps
  • ctar99neb17_ESO
    @ctar99neb17_ESO I'm using AVG too and it works fine. Have you tried making ESO an allowed app, in addition to the exclusions?

https://support.avg.com/SupportArticleView?l=en&urlname=Use-AVG-Antivirus-blocked-allowed-apps

Indeed i have.
  • Danny_Fluke

Indeed i have.

Strange indeed. I'll have a look at my settings when I can. In the meantime, check if the UserSettings.txt file in <user>\Documents\Elder Scrolls Online\ folder is set to "Read Only", if it is, disable it.

If it doesn't work or is "Read only" is already unchecked, add the following line:

SET OpeningCinematicSeen "1"
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    As an update, we're currently tracking an issue where in-game settings are not saving for some players..
    Staff Post