Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MAGMA SHELL IV bugged in pvp

slimwaffle
slimwaffle
✭✭✭
The spell reads like this;
Cast Time - Instant
Target - Self
Duration - 12 Seconds
Cost - 200 ultimate
Ignite the molten lave in your veins, limiting incoming damage to 3% of your Max Health and dealing 889 Flame Damage to nearby enemies each second for 12 seconds.
When activated, nearby allies gain a damage shield for 100% pf their Max Health for 12 seconds.

Now reading this ability the way you would expect it to work is that it limits each hit of damage against you to 3% for the next 12 seconds. So basic maths would dictate that without any kind of self heals it would take 34 spells to kill you. 100 / 3 = 33.33 repeating.
Now with a global cool down of 1 second and the light attack weaving by pass. This means that a single person can hit you twice per second.
So in a 1v1 a single person would need to hit you 15 times.
Effectively according to the maths and the spell description it would be impossible in a 1v1 scenario for a person to kill you with it Active.
Even in a 2v1 scenario you should last 7.5 seconds with no healing.

But this spell does not always work this way. I am constantly being killed from full health 1v1 inside of the 12 second window. Which plain shouldn't happen because damage is supposed to be capped.
I literally just had a fight that led me to posting this. It was a 2v1 me being the 1. I had it up just before the first attack landed. But was killed inside of 3 seconds.

As the tool tip does not change it would be safe to assume this ability is not affected by battle spirit. And even if it were bringing the mitigation up to 6% (even though the tooltip does not change). Inside of 3 seconds would still = to a broken ability.

Mathematically this shouldn't have happened. So common sense would say that you @ZOS need to fix this bug.
  • Bergzorn
    Bergzorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I don't know how Magma Shell or any of the fancy DK stuff works, just a thought. If it caps any damage tick on you to 3% of your max health, you can still die pretty quickly if you are dotted up good. Let's say you are fighting one player, have two dots and a damaging status effect on you (that's not much), add a damage skill, light attack, occasional glyph proc -> you will eat up to nearly 20% of your max health in just one gcd. Add another player or a couple more dots and you can very well die within a few seconds with Magma Shell working correctly.
    no CP PvP PC/EU

EP Zergborn
    DC Zerg Beacon

guild master, raid leader, janitor, and only member of Zergbored
  • divnyi
    divnyi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ^ that and multipart attacks like jabs, flurry and crushing shock.
  • Aznox
    Aznox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    slimwaffle wrote: »
    The spell reads like this;
    Now with a global cool down of 1 second and the light attack weaving by pass. This means that a single person can hit you twice per second.

My Draugrkin build can maintain more than 15 ticks per second for 4-5 seconds ...
    Aznox
    PC EU
    Khajiit Orc Bosmer Stamina Sorcerer and Werewolf Stage 3 Vampire
    I live in Battlegrounds
    Theorycrafting enthusiast
    Official Cheese Lord
    CP1500+ club
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I am reading in the OP, it sounds like you left out one detail: Oblivion Damage.

Namely, you may sometimes come across those who may utilise oblivion damage from which is a damage type that coherently bypasses armor and attacks Maximum Health directly (even through damage shields), but what it can also do is bypass the damage mitigation cap of Magma armor and its morphs respectively as it also ignores damage mitigation without a doubt.

Knowin is growin.
    "When the human race learns to read the language of symbolism, a great veil will fall from the eyes of men." ~Manly P. Hall
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    From what I am reading in the OP, it sounds like you left out one detail: Oblivion Damage.

Namely, you may sometimes come across those who may utilise oblivion damage from which is a damage type that coherently bypasses armor and attacks Maximum Health directly (even through damage shields), but what it can also do is bypass the damage mitigation cap of Magma armor and its morphs respectively as it also ignores damage mitigation without a doubt.

Knowin is growin.

Oblivion damage is not the issue and wasn't a factor in any of the times this issue has occurred.
    Oblivion damage has so few sources in this game you rarely come across it.
    I mean there is only 1 set in the whole game I know of that has it. And the only other source I could find was a weapon enchant.
  • slimwaffle
    slimwaffle
    ✭✭✭
    Bergzorn wrote: »
    While I don't know how Magma Shell or any of the fancy DK stuff works, just a thought. If it caps any damage tick on you to 3% of your max health, you can still die pretty quickly if you are dotted up good. Let's say you are fighting one player, have two dots and a damaging status effect on you (that's not much), add a damage skill, light attack, occasional glyph proc -> you will eat up to nearly 20% of your max health in just one gcd. Add another player or a couple more dots and you can very well die within a few seconds with Magma Shell working correctly.

Yeah after looking at it more closely its actually not a great spell to use.

Each tick of an ability counts. So all they need to do is place 2 dots on you and its a completely wasted ability.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found Magma Armor works just fine, but you must realize that it limits the max damage any instance of damage can do. Emphasis on instance here because in a single second you can be hit by a light attack, enchantment, and ability at minimum. This isn't counting status effects, damage over time effects, delayed abilities, light and heavy attack charging abilities like Imbue Weapon and Overcharge, and many more.

The ability works great against heavy hitters and eating ultimates and executes. It's not going to survive an absolute onslaught of damage coming from many different stacked sources.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK