The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Duel wield - Main hand - Off hand - Enchant question

HamaRaptor
HamaRaptor
Soul Shriven
Hey All.

I've just started playing ESO and loving it! ...But still learning and reading mechanics etc so please forgive me.

My main character is a Mag Templar running;

- 5 x Mothers Sorrow
- 5 x Medusa
Monster sets: Valkyn skoria / Grothdarr / Domihaus
Enchants: Divines + Magicka
Jewellery: Blood thirsty + Spell damage
Back bar: Perfected Inferno Maelstrom + Infused + Weapon / spell enchant

I'm currently using Medusa inferno staff and I'm making the switch over to duel Medusa daggers;

Main hand: Nirnhoned + Flame enchant
Off hand: Precise + Poison enchant

My question does it matter which enchant goes on main hand or off hand? And are the daggers worth it over the inferno staff?

I believe the main hand hits twice as much so I've put the shorter Flame DOT on the main hand?!

(Credit to DeanTheCat's Post on enchant and status effects!)

Thanks for any advice!
  • SaintSubwayy
    SaintSubwayy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind that they buffed the Destro Passive and Flamestaffs have now a 10% DMG increase against Singletargets.

Thats 2% more ST Dmg than before the Patch, Im not quite sure if the destro is now as strong as DW, but the DMG Gap has certainly been closed by quite a bit.

Edited by SaintSubwayy on August 25, 2021 1:49PM
    PC EU
    vAA HM / vHRC HM / vSO HM / vMoL HM / vHoF HM / vAS HM / vCR HM / vSS HM / vKA HM

Flawless Conqueror / Immortal Redeemer / Dawnbringer / Griphon Heart / Master Angler / Spirit Slayer

• Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭
    2% ST with flame staff doesn't make up for the 2% Total behind daggers, HOWEVER most trials and organized 4 man's are running encratis, so you're gaining 5%, and if there is a DK you gain 10% additional flame damage. That's an additional 15% that you're getting on your wall and light attacks that you're not getting with daggers. On a dummy, poison main hand appears to be ever so slightly better, but add that 15% flame dmg the dummy doesn't buff, and flame enchant wins everytime.

Staff will be very close in actual content. Daggers will give more crit, more spell damage, and the physical damage proc deals more dmg than magic damage proc.

If going for meta, daggers probably wins in most content since you're up close with your spamable anyways, but a staff provides range and given the fight situation, you could always use elemental weapon for a ranged spammable if needed.

Also, of you're planning on using kilt, daggers let's you add some pen while still using nirn main hand of you choose to go 2 medium 5 light, and nirn/sharpened.

TL;DR
    meta = daggers
    Staff is easier and most content unnoticeably weaker (less than a percent)
    Edited by Amerises on August 26, 2021 2:26AM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    keep in mind that they buffed the Destro Passive and Flamestaffs have now a 10% DMG increase against Singletargets.

Thats 2% more ST Dmg than before the Patch, Im not quite sure if the destro is now as strong as DW, but the DMG Gap has certainly been closed by quite a bit.

Which won't apply to Jabs since it's an AoE not single target. Nor to Wall or Shards if you use it.

Dual wield bonuses are just better because they are all general stat bonuses while staff is overly specific.

I like the fact that we have some flexibility in our weapon choices again. Certainly for some encounters I would stick with staff, but for encounters where I know I can melee for the duration, or just running around in overworld I can look badass again sporting some dual daggers or even swords/maces depending on the build.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag dagger builds were buffed this patch, at least as much as Inferno Staff going from 8% to 10%. Light Armor now gives Physical Penetration (5.6k with 6-1 builds) which means dual wield weaving hits harder.

As far as Poison/Flame Glyphs, I don’t think it matters which goes on which hand. I think you’re correct to keep both on front bar, and fit Infused Berserker back bar. Full strength glyphs doesn’t matter as much with Fire or Poison because a significant portion of the damage comes from the status effects.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag dagger builds were buffed this patch, at least as much as Inferno Staff going from 8% to 10%. Light Armor now gives Physical Penetration (5.6k with 6-1 builds) which means dual wield weaving hits harder.

As far as Poison/Flame Glyphs, I don’t think it matters which goes on which hand. I think you’re correct to keep both on front bar, and fit Infused Berserker back bar. Full strength glyphs doesn’t matter as much with Fire or Poison because a significant portion of the damage comes from the status effects.

So in this case shouldn't be shock a priority? Extra dmg from shock status seems most valuable.
  • HamaRaptor
    HamaRaptor
    Soul Shriven
    Amerises wrote: »

TL;DR
    meta = daggers
    Staff is easier and most content unnoticeably weaker (less than a percent)

Thank you for the comprehensive breakdown that makes more sense!

I play mostly solo with random dungeons but just wanted the most optimal / fun gear.
    danno8 wrote: »

Dual wield bonuses are just better because they are all general stat bonuses while staff is overly specific.

I like the fact that we have some flexibility in our weapon choices again. Certainly for some encounters I would stick with staff, but for encounters where I know I can melee for the duration, or just running around in overworld I can look badass again sporting some dual daggers or even swords/maces depending on the build.

I'll keep the inferno staff on hand and switch out depending on the situation. Definitely enjoying the flexibility of using both (and not to mention DW just looks badass haha)

I get around 350 more base spell damage with daggers plus an extra 1% crit. I'll try upload some screen shots!

Currently running 7 light and when using Valkyrn Skoria spell pen hits 8761. I may try the get the mythic kilt and give it a try!
  • HamaRaptor
    HamaRaptor
    Soul Shriven
    Here are a couple of screen shots with daggers equipped vs inferno staff.

Base stats give extra 516 Spell damage, 3.8% Crit while having daggers equipped.

I'm not sure why but the staff fire enchant equals more than both daggers?

P.s forgive my outfit lol

PS-App-20210826-014045.jpg

PS-App-20210826-014052.jpg

Edit:
    Race: Breton
    Food: Melon-baked parmesan pork
    Mundus: The Shadow
    Passive: Inner light Mages guild, Minor force Medusa set
    Edited by HamaRaptor on August 26, 2021 2:01PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

So in this case shouldn't be shock a priority? Extra dmg from shock status seems most valuable.

@Ippokrates Shock can be good for solo content, but Minor Vulnerability is typically applied by a healer with Fetcher in group content. It’s also pointless to test with Shock glyphs on a trial dummy because it has 100% Minor Vuln applied.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ippokrates wrote: »

@Ippokrates Shock can be good for solo content, but Minor Vulnerability is typically applied by a healer with Fetcher in group content. It’s also pointless to test with Shock glyphs on a trial dummy because it has 100% Minor Vuln applied.

Many thanks ;)
  • gariondavey
    gariondavey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dual or duel? :P
    PC NA @gariondavey, BG, IC & Cyrodiil Focused Since October 2017 Stamplar (main), Magplar, Magsorc, Stamsorc, StamDK, MagDK, Stamblade, Magblade, Magden, Stamden
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, the only place I use Daggers are on a trial dummy, if forced to post a parse for a new guild. Are they technically more damage, yes, but that assumes your nose in on the boss's arse the entire fight. In the vast majority of actual content, you are better off with a staff. Carry them, and certainly equip for true stack and burn fights, but I wouldn't leave home without a staff as well.

I literally had this experience the other day in a VRG group. On the second boss (decent amount of movement and target shifting) one of the guys on the lower end of the DPS list asked how I was doing so much more damage then him with his "meta" daggers when I was using a staff. I had like triple the light attacks on my parse than he did when we compared notes. The second you start missing light attacks, daggers are trash.

If memory serves, which hand the enchant is on doesnt matter, but it does matter with certain weapon traits. Might totally be making that last part up.
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If memory serves, which hand the enchant is on doesnt matter, but it does matter with certain weapon traits. Might totally be making that last part up.

With traits it certainly does. Don't want Nirnhoned on the offhand for example when the offhand only accounts for a small amount of Dual Wields total power stat.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, the only place I use Daggers are on a trial dummy, if forced to post a parse for a new guild. Are they technically more damage, yes, but that assumes your nose in on the boss's arse the entire fight. In the vast majority of actual content, you are better off with a staff. Carry them, and certainly equip for true stack and burn fights, but I wouldn't leave home without a staff as well.

I literally had this experience the other day in a VRG group. On the second boss (decent amount of movement and target shifting) one of the guys on the lower end of the DPS list asked how I was doing so much more damage then him with his "meta" daggers when I was using a staff. I had like triple the light attacks on my parse than he did when we compared notes. The second you start missing light attacks, daggers are trash.

Pretty much so the same as you daggers for parsing but I do run them on my ZenDK because I’m always in melee anyway. I run them on my Magplar also but do t bro g it to any real content at the moment.

But I still pack a flame staff because some content you need it anyway like for vAS2 when killing protectors. I am not gonna run my happy ass over there to spam whips gonna throw a degen on it and hit it with a couple heavies. That takes care of the sustain problem as well.
  • HamaRaptor
    HamaRaptor
    Soul Shriven

Completely agree! Can't do no damage if you can't stay in range so I'll definitely keep the inferno staff on hand!

I'm only doing random dungeons but it seems to shred with Grothdarr equipped!
    danno8 wrote: »

With traits it certainly does. Don't want Nirnhoned on the offhand for example when the offhand only accounts for a small amount of Dual Wields total power stat.

Made this mistake once won't do it again haha!