The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

running the launcher triggered a WIndows UAC popup

haelgaan
haelgaan
✭✭✭✭✭
I got a windows UAC popup when running the launcher tonight, which is unusual.

There are no patch notes posted on forums so no reason to expect or approve a UAC request. I clicked cancel (more than once, got the popup at least twice) and now i see the regular launcher with the usual PLAY option.

Was the launcher hacked, is the UAC popup legit?
Edited by haelgaan on June 23, 2021 1:49AM
  • colossusx
    colossusx
    ✭✭
    I'd like to know this too. My launcher showed updating but there are no patch notes that I can find...
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    I thought this very bizarre as well. Glad I am not the only one.
  • Feindrah
    Feindrah
    ✭✭✭
    I had this happen as well. The popup happened twice and the launcher was acting like it was updating. I didn't use my better judgment and didn't hit cancel (my bad) but the launcher is working fine now. It was strange.
    PC/NA
    Khajiit Magplar
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. I'm getting a request to let Microsoft C++ make changes to my system. I decline, and the game seems to work normally.
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    Ditto, can someone at ZOS confirm if this is normal or if something strange is going on?
  • Firestormm
    Firestormm
    Soul Shriven
    Same happened to me last night and again today. PC Windows 10.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here, getting a request to update the C++ runtime ...
    confused24.gif

@ZOS_GinaBruno

• Firestormm
    Firestormm
    Soul Shriven
    Any update on this, please? It's still happening for me.
  • haelgaan
    haelgaan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i'm rather a bit surprised ZOS has ignored this seemingly simple question.

given that it was unannounced, i've been clicking NO on all UAC requests, and everything seems to still be running correctly...
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    This is ridiculous. I am also still having this pop up, twice every time I try to launch the game from my hubby's computer.

Still concerned, has the launcher been hacked?? What is the issue here?

Can someone @zos explain why this is still happening to players??
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    Just found this article. It sounds freakishly close, if not, what, is going on with this certificate pop up.

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/06/microsoft-digitally-signs-malicious-rootkit-driver/?amp=1

What the heck is going on ZOS???
  • Bucky Balls
    Bucky Balls
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_Kevin

Any update or information on this issue? Did recent update(s) require ms vcredist changes? Can you offer any information regarding the very real concerns raised in this thread?
  • ZOS_Kevin
    ZOS_Kevin
    Community Manager
    Hi all, thanks for your feedback here. Last Tuesday, we published an update to the ESO patcher in preparation for Update 31. This prep work seems to be triggering the UAC popup as update 31 is not available yet.

UAC updates can occur on Windows when a missing game dependency, like update 31, is not live yet. Most windows users have setting to require admin approval for installations.

Right now, if you don't approve the UAC login, the game will work as of now since this is just a preparatory step for a later game update.

Let us know if you have any further issues on this and we'll keep an eye on feedback. Thanks!
    Community Manager for ZeniMax Online Studio and Elder Scrolls OnlineDev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter
    Staff Post
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    When's U31 for?

Couldn't you push another incremental that tells it there's no missing dependency before a given date?
    PC NA
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    This is STILL happening for me. Even after launcher has been updated to update 31.

Contacting support fed me the same BS line about this window popping up cause of something associated with update 31.

WHY is this popup still happening after updating??

Has the launcher been compromised and players just aren't being told? What is the real issue here???
  • woe
    woe
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sonnir wrote: »
    This is STILL happening for me. Even after launcher has been updated to update 31.

Contacting support fed me the same BS line about this window popping up cause of something associated with update 31.

WHY is this popup still happening after updating??

Has the launcher been compromised and players just aren't being told? What is the real issue here???
    The launcher hasn't been compromised omg. You're literally making yourself panic for no reason. UAC on windows is AWFUL. It stops things that are completely fine and causes more problems than it actually stops.

Edited by woe on August 25, 2021 4:18AM
    uwu
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Sonnir

Would you be able to provide your ticket number?

We can check on your ticket to ensure it is being handled correctly.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • Sonnir
    Sonnir
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE

I don't have the ticket anymore as it is over a month old. Word for word, the response I received was exactly what ZOS_Kevin posted on this thread at the end of June.

My ticket was handled. I guess you could argue that it does not "specifically" say the pop up will go away with the launch of update 31 but it is IMPLIED that the pop up would disappear after the full update 31 is implemented.

It has not gone away, which is very concerning. My launcher did download update 31 Monday. But yet the popup persists. (Actually, it is a double popup, which is EXTRA weird!) I have also tried running a repair on my launcher. Didn't help.

I appreciate someone from ZOS taking enough time to respond but what would be really helpful is an actual resolution to the issue or a reason for its existence so I can stop worrying!
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Sonnir

Thanks for the update. Since you don't have any recent tickets open, we recommend starting a new ticket for further help looking into this UAC issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post