The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

A new weapon skill line idea

SirItchyFawn
SirItchyFawn
✭✭
So I've been thinking recently, I've seen people mention the idea of a new weapon to use in ESO. We have been using the same ones since launch and they are great, but the game has been out for a good amount of time now. I'd like to see some new weapon skill lines (1 or 2) in the next chapter update.

One I've been thinking about recently would be one hand and spell. With stamina builds being dominant in most scenarios I think a new weapon skill line for magic users would be nice. Now I have seen people say it would be kind of hard to implement with the way attacking and weaving works in this game. But really think about it for a second.. Light attack swings your one handed weapon in right hand (which would allow weaving), heavy attack does a channeled cone attack with your left hand (similar to how biting jabs works) except it's a properly damage scaled spell, ex. flames, shock, or ice for starters. (It would look kind of how these spells were cast in Skyrim, but capped to a 1.5 - 2 second channeled time in ESO.) Now for blocking, the animation for one handed blocking is already there. Just take the Psijic order concentrated barrier effect and make it look a little flashy like the healing ward from the restoration tree.

So let's take it a step further now. How were these spells learned in previous games? Spell Tomes. So this would be the new weapon itself, off hand weapons. They would have the same base damage as a one handed weapon (1335 gold w/o nirnhoned) It would be cool if they were visible on the character, a book of some sort strapped to your waist. Upgraded with enchanting materials, has weapon trait choices instead of armor traits like the shield off hand. 3 types at first, Tome of Shock, Ice, Fire

So now on to the skill tree. Every weapon skill line has 5 passives, 5 abilities and an ultimate. One hand and spell, being magic it would make sense to have passives that a magicka build would want, but also gaining some offensive passives from your sword. I'm going to post below what I think would work (feel free to add some ideas) Some of these passives are from other trees, but damage changed around a bit.
-PASSIVES

Passive 1:
Fully channeled fire attacks deal an additional 3%/6% damage.
Fully channeled ice spells grant you a damage shield that absorbs 1.5k/3k damage.
Fully channeled shock attacks continue zapping enemies effected by the initial attack for 265/530 shock damage every 1 second, for 4 seconds.)
Passive 2:
Equipping one hand and a tome increases your spell damage by 97/194
Passive 3:
Grants a bonus based on the type of main hand weapon equipped-
Each axe increased your critical damage done by 1%/2%
Each mace increases your penetration by 412/825
Each sword increases your spell damage by 57/114
Each dagger increases your spell critical by 406
Passive 4:
Your blocking ward can reflect a projectile or set an enemy off balance once every 20/10 seconds
Passive 5:
While one hand and spell equipped-
Increases your Magicka recovery by 56/112

-ABILITIES

Ability 1: Hurl a ball of magic at the enemy. (Ice throws a spike, fire throws a fireball, shock throws lightning) for 8500 magic damage (applies status effects just like elemental weapon but for the one element you are using.)
** Morph 1- This ability now also grants you Minor Force, for 7 seconds
**Morph 2- This ability now grants you Major Sorcery for 10 seconds
Ability 2: Cast alteration magic (Ironflesh for ex.) to harden your skin and grant you major resolve for 27 seconds (light character glow)
**Morph 1- This ability now also grants major expedition for 4 seconds
**Morph 2- This ability lasts twice as long, but has a 1.5 second cast time
Ability 3: Cast a restoration spell, healing you for 5500.
**Morph 1- This ability now heals you over time, but for 10500 over 3.5 seconds
**Morph 2- This ability now grants minor resolve
Ability 4: Channel your Magicka to cause an elemental explosion that expands all around you for 7250 magic damage ( Think Arcane Explosion from WoW, but with fire waves, lightning waves, or ice shards, the skill itself would work just like any other instant cast AOE such as impulse from destruction tree)
**Morph 1- This ability now does additional damage. (9500 instead of 7250)
**Morph 2- This ability now applies minor breach to targets
Ability 5: Freeze the ground around you, immobilizing enemies near you for 3 seconds.
**Morph 1- This ability now also does 1,300 damage every half second to the enemy)
**Morph 2- This ability now applies Minor Brittle

-ULTIMATE Cost 76
Channel dark mysticism magic to dispel the targeted enemy. Removing all currently active temporary buffs. (Shut down shields, major resolve, courage, all of that.)

I feel like this would kinda f*** the server though so here is an alternative.

-ULTIMATE IDEA 2 cost -240
Channel dark mysticism magic to sap essence from the enemy, restoring 8800 magicka, and stamina and 4400 health)
**Morph 1- This ability now grants more magicka and stamina. 11800
**Morph 2- This ability costs more (300), and restores 17000 health instantly, but no magicka or stamina

Not sure why I spent 3+ hours on this today, but I did. And I'm gonna leave it here. :) Feel free to add your thoughts

Edited by SirItchyFawn on August 20, 2021 8:21PM
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So if you are unaware, the launch version of the game had assets refering to "1h and rune", which never made it to the final build for whatever reason.

Basically your classic skyrim battlemage.

Its been a popular point of discussion for a very (very) long time, lots of people want a new weapon added to the game, and most people want either 1h+rune or spear.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, One-hand + Rune and Spear should be added soon. I can't believe the game is this old and hasn't seen any new weapon lines or other skill lines for that matter (Psijic is okay)
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    Yes, One-hand + Rune and Spear should be added soon. I can't believe the game is this old and hasn't seen any new weapon lines or other skill lines for that matter (Psijic is okay)

I have long theorised that the game is probably coded in such a way for whatever reason weapons are much harder to add than other skill lines / classes.

That, or they simply dont know what to do about the fact that ~100 motifs dont have models for a new weapon, and that complicates things. 'course runes wouldnt necisserally need models and the 1h's that go along with them already exist. Spears are a different matter.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • SirItchyFawn
    SirItchyFawn
    ✭✭
    So if you are unaware, the launch version of the game had assets refering to "1h and rune", which never made it to the final build for whatever reason.

Basically your classic skyrim battlemage.

Its been a popular point of discussion for a very (very) long time, lots of people want a new weapon added to the game, and most people want either 1h+rune or spear.

Really? That's cool. Spear or Halberd is a great idea for new melee weapon.
  • ESO_Nightingale
    ESO_Nightingale
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fully channeled ice spells grant you a damage shield that absorbs 1.5k/3k damage.

no thanks. can we not continue frost tanking on a new weapon?
    Edited by ESO_Nightingale on August 21, 2021 11:27AM
    PvE Frost Warden Main and teacher for ESO-U. Frost Warden PvE Build Article: https://eso-u.com/articles/nightingales_warden_dps_guide__frost_knight. Come Join the ESO Frost Discord to discuss everything frost!: https://discord.gg/5PT3rQX
  • SirItchyFawn
    SirItchyFawn
    ✭✭

no thanks. can we not continue frost tanking on a new weapon?

I'd be happy with a new weapon period tbh.. Spear, halberd, sword and spell whatever it is I trust they will make it worth the wait. P.s. these are just random passives I pulled from trees Zenimax probably be a lot better at that whole balancing thing.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lowest hanging fruit for a new weapon I can think of is an alteration staff for tanking to then give us a true ice staff DPS weapon. All the staves already have motifs and it'd be no different than the restoration staff using the same styles as destruction.
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • Dauntess13
    Dauntess13
    ✭✭
    Vevvev wrote: »
    The lowest hanging fruit for a new weapon I can think of is an alteration staff for tanking to then give us a true ice staff DPS weapon. All the staves already have motifs and it'd be no different than the restoration staff using the same styles as destruction.

You read my mind, I just made this comment on another thread. Just stop trying to make ice into a tank weapon and add alteration for support/tanking. Just use the restoration staff styles so they don't even have to do the work off adding new styles because personally, I think that's a huge reason they haven't added any new weapons, they don't want to go back and add weapons to all the styles.
  • BloodyStigmata
    BloodyStigmata
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hand 2 hand weapon gauntlets pls.

I want to just beat crap out of things with my hands.
    Owner and proprietor of the Northern Elsweyr Guar Reserve and The Hunting Grounds Guar Reserve, Tamriel's home to all things guar.
    See the embedded brochures for all information regarding our reserves, as well as our collection status!
  • tripp
    tripp
    ✭✭✭

Same here, have been doing it for some time now for some added challenge and actually came up with how a HTH skill line would work. After some finishing touches I'll make a thread tomorrow.
    big, green, buff, but surprisingly not the Hulk
  • E-Zekiel
    E-Zekiel
    ✭✭✭

I would be alllllllllllll over this.