Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

It's time to look at jewelry crafting

DrSlaughtr
DrSlaughtr
✭✭✭✭✭
Those of us who have played long enough remember when jewelry crafting was introduced. The running line was that players who had spent countless hours farming didn't want their past efforts devalued by people being able to easily upgrade pieces in the future.

I'm not going to get into how dumb and self punishing that is.

Today I want to talk about how armor classes are being pushed to a place where many players will want to wear a mix of armors, which will mean more people will use crafted pieces to make it work.

The problem that has existed for years now is that unlike farmed sets, you can't just go do a dungeon for a purple new moon neck or ring. You have to make it.

The grain and plaiting system currently makes it cost prohibitive to make crafted jewelry for most people.

Currently on XB 1 zircon plaiting costs 40k. That means you either need to farm 30 purple jewelry for the grains or drop 120k on plaiting to make one piece of jewelry.

Oh you want gold? 90k per plaiting. Or you can run 40 vHRC's for the grains.

How do we fix this? Glad you asked. Here are two options.

1: guaranteed plaiting when breaking down a piece of jewelry. This one is the best option

Or

2: get at least 2 grains from breaking down a piece of jewelry, with a chance to get more, up to 5.

As crafted sets become used more and more this is something that will eventually need to be addressed.
Edited by DrSlaughtr on July 20, 2021 2:44PM
I drink and I stream things.
Twitch: DrSlaughtr
YouTube: DrSlaughtr
Facebook: DrSlaughtr
Twitter: DrSlaughtr
TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not opposed to increasing supply for jewelry upgrade mats but what problem does that solve?

Gold jewelry is known to be a luxury item in ESO and the combat performance is negligible between gold and purple.
    Those of us who have played long enough remember when jewelry crafting was introduced. The running line was that players who had spent countless hours farming didn't want their past efforts devalued by people being able to easily upgrade pieces in the future.

You even said it yourself. Why devalue the jewelry upgrade mats only to make those players upset?

• Donatoo
    Donatoo
    ✭✭
    So you want them to cater to your needs because you simply cant afford a purple necklace?
  • Tatanko
    Tatanko
    ✭✭✭✭
    Nobody *needs* purple or gold jewelry though.
    Silvanus the Gilded
    Merchant, Scholar, and Benefactor
    Imperial Templar - PC/NA
    Learn More
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donatoo wrote: »
    You even said it yourself. Why devalue the jewelry upgrade mats only to make those players upset?

I never said "I" couldn't afford it. I'm hearing guild members who don't understand how they'll compete against other players who CAN afford it which will give them an advantage if/when this mixed gear weight meta goes through, which as of now it will.

The game isn't just about fleecing other players because a mat has skyrocketed due to a choice by ZOS.

Most people can't play 16 hours a day. They have to make a choice. Either do nothing but farming or actually play the game. I have so many purple jewelry writs that I'll never use because the mat cost isn't worth the rewards.

"Oh but all this work I did will mean less." And going forward you will have to spend less time and money on jewelry.

"Oh I sell plaiting so I'll lose gold." Maybe. How often do gold plaitings sell in comparison to, let's say, rosin? The per plaiting price would drop but you may very well sell more because crafted jewelry use will jump.

Every weekend you can buy gold dungeon jewelry with AP but of course you can't sell those. You can easily farm purple or even gold trial sets. But the sheer amount of pieces it takes to break down to upgrade just ONE piece is asinine.

Why should crafted sets be out of reach for most players?

No one should have to spend millions to make a set of New Moon or Heartland.

Edited by DrSlaughtr on July 20, 2021 3:45PM
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hol up, are you saying that gold platings are only 90k ea. on Xbox? Count your blessings, you’re lucky to get them for under 200k ea. on PC right now.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Hol up, are you saying that gold platings are only 90k ea. on Xbox? Count your blessings, you’re lucky to get them for under 200k ea. on PC right now.

That's median price. They go higher. We don't have the luxury of a mod-created global market. Usually prices are way higher on console because of it.
  • Taraezor
    Taraezor
    ✭✭✭
    I'm happy with Jewellry Crafting.

I'm super casual but I do my daily writs on 6 characters for all crafts and I've maxed out research on almost all my characters as I've been playing a very long time.

The most recent Pan-Elsweyr event had me absolutely awash with purple rings and necklaces... what's a crafter to do! The deconstructing was awesome. Certainly enough upgrade materials to keep me in purple or gold necklaces and rings for quite some time.

I try to play smart and this time I think I gamed the event very nicely indeed.

Jewellry isn't broken. There are better things to "fix".
  • Drammanoth
    Drammanoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing I'd like to get fixed, or made possible, is that we get more grains per decon. Supposing we decon:
    1) blue - we get a twentieth
    2) purple - we get a thirtieth
    of what is needed to upgrade it, eg. from the holy Stickerbook.

I'd welcome 1-2 Zircon grains more...
    Edited by Drammanoth on August 20, 2021 8:57AM
    My wishlist for ESO
    I.Skills:
    >>weapons: Polearms, Unarmed, Crossbow

>>Sorc's Twilight - perched animation

>>a skill line - a guild having this - to enable us to increase % gold gain for donating Ornate gear (another gold sink in order to gain more pennies - but over time it would pay off)

II.Overland Mechanics
    >>tree climing in Grahtwood / Malabal Tor / Greenshade, etc. (with tall trees)

>>rock climbing in Glenumbra / Rivenspire / Stonefalls, etc. (with tall peaks)

>>new skill lines - Adventure (enable climbing, increase flora and fauna harvesting chances)

III.CP 2.0
    >>Craft Tree development --> https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/594079/idea-craft-cp-sub-tree-ideas-constant-wip#latest

III.Replayable content in overland
    >>dynamic pocket rifts to Oblivion - eg. to Vaermina's in Stormhaven, Boethiah's in Deshaan, Hircine's in the Rift OR in Bankgorai, etc. to get Daedric Sets relevant to the Prince, something like Oblivion rifts in Blackwood / the Deadlands

IV.Geography
    >>Pyandonea - we had some quests WITH Maormer (Summerset, High Isle) - maybe we could meet them there? Poke poke, nudge nudge, wink wink, eh ZOS?

V.Other
    (the ideas are also inspired by other Forum Users' posts)
    >>pet battles! We collect SO MANY pets, and yet there are just a cosmetic. What a HUGE potential lies within those tiny beats!

>>ASOC - a new server in Asia and Oceania. If people have a bad ping there, it would be great if they had a server reaching their places more easily. And hey, it would make THREE servers, not two.

>>possibility to dye barding

>>possibility to switch UI between guild bank<-->bank<-->guild trader

>>display the dialogue options so that we can see which answer the NPC is reacting to

>>a way to make Overland more challenging - for those who want
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with the OP. It’s been long enough — upgrade the jewelry crafting profession. I don’t care much personally since I can craft anything that’s craftable and I’ve been here long enough to acquire plenty of jewelry mats. But there are always plenty of newer players who don’t have the gold or the skills but still need gear.

Jewelry crafting could still be more difficult & costly than the other crafts with its needing to be such a huge multiple of more difficult & costly.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    I've decon'd thousands of jewelry items, and not once have I gotten a "Gold" upgrade item.

So I'm stuck on purple jewelry, as I'm not going to pay 150k+ per upgrade mat....

That's 24 needed....

I don't have that kind of gold as a casual gamer....

Keep pushing guys, maybe something will happen and make things better on the jewelry crafting front!
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've decon'd thousands of jewelry items, and not once have I gotten a "Gold" upgrade item.

So I'm stuck on purple jewelry, as I'm not going to pay 150k+ per upgrade mat....

That's 24 needed....

Keep pushing guys, maybe something will happen and make things better on the jewelry crafting front!

They come from deconning gold jewelry (about 75% of the time w/ passives)

They come from doing daily jewelry writs at max level (about 30% of the time)

They come from refining jewelry dust (about 5.625% chance per 10 mats w/ max passives)

Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    60,005 achievement points
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

That's 24 needed....

They come from refining jewelry dust (about 5.625% chance per 10 mats w/ max passives)

Not a crafter...

Don't do writs...

Refining, again, not a crafter...

I'm a CASUAL....

Not spending my play time Chasing things for writs/crafting....

I'm questing and completing the story/PvE content...

Thanks....
  • Heals_With_Orbs
    Heals_With_Orbs
    ✭✭✭
    People have saying for years that the difference between purple and gold jewelry is negligable. So what i want to know is what is the purpose of gold platings in eso apart from to keep the in game economy thriving? Who uses gold platings? Most people i know sell them. The writs are also useless mainly, because of the sheer cost vs the reward. Whos going to upgrade to gold jewels and throw away 600k+ gold? . Why cant upgrading to gold jewelry actually be made so it makes a real difference to stats. It all just seems broken
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »

That's 24 needed....

Not a crafter...

Don't do writs...

Refining, again, not a crafter...

I'm a CASUAL....

Not spending my play time Chasing things for writs/crafting....

I'm questing and completing the story/PvE content...

Thanks....

Was just letting you know how you get them.

Gold gear, especially jewelry, isn't required for anything in the game, so I'd personally just not worry about it in that case.

Why ask for a change to an aspect of the game that doesn't even overlap with what you do?
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People have saying for years that the difference between purple and gold jewelry is negligable. So what i want to know is what is the purpose of gold platings in eso apart from to keep the in game economy thriving? Who uses gold platings? Most people i know sell them. The writs are also useless mainly, because of the sheer cost vs the reward. Whos going to upgrade to gold jewels and throw away 600k+ gold? . Why cant upgrading to gold jewelry actually be made so it makes a real difference to stats. It all just seems broken

In "end-game" PVP play, gold jewelry does have some measurable increases in power due to the scaling of the enchants with the trait of the jewelry.

I think about gold jewelry as I might think about it in real life, it's a luxury item, not really needed at all and just something to get when you have nothing else to buy.

I can make close to the 600k in an hour doing writs, so that's really not that much gold in the grand scheme of things. (and I'll probably get enough chromium grains to almost gold out a piece just from that, I would average about 3-4 platings a week from my writs daily)
  • Obsidian3
    Obsidian3
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't understand the "I can't afford it" Threads. Everyone can do level 1 Provisioning, Enchanting and Alchemy writs that would take less than 2 mins a day per toon. It's easy money and the mat cost is super low, and even pays for itself with the reward coffers.
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Obsidian3 wrote: »
    I don't understand the "I can't afford it" Threads. Everyone can do level 1 Provisioning, Enchanting and Alchemy writs that would take less than 2 mins a day per toon. It's easy money and the mat cost is super low, and even pays for itself with the reward coffers.

And how long, exactly, do you think it'll take to get upwards of a million gold to upgrade one jewelry piece?
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a dumb thing to say that it doesn't make a difference. If you're running gold weapons and 3 purple jewelry it's dragging your set bonuses down and yes, it does make a difference unless you're not running end game content, whether pve or pvp.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Obsidian3 wrote: »

I'm sorry, where does, NOT A CRAFTER, make this easy...

You have to collect what they want every time...

That's "my" time wasted....

I do better things...

[snip]
    [edited for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on September 10, 2021 11:23AM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well...there is a reason why crafters put the time into doing these things so they have the mats, yet everyone else wants them for cheap. It doesn’t work that way. Either you put the time in yourself or pay someone else for theirs.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well...there is a reason why crafters put the time into doing these things so they have the mats, yet everyone else wants them for cheap. It doesn’t work that way. Either you put the time in yourself or pay someone else for theirs.

couldn't have said it better myself.

Sadly, this mindset seems to be in a lot of current threads... and then when people don't agree with them they try and make them feel guilty, or call them white knights, or any host of other things.

Heaven forbid that you can't do "all the things" quick and easy... God, what a boring game that would be.

edit: forgot the "It's just QoL improvements... why you against those?" comments... when they're asking for huge buffs and changes to core mechanics, that would likely drastically alter the economy of the game.
    Edited by tmbrinks on September 10, 2021 11:24AM
  • LadyDestiny
    LadyDestiny
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I wish prices were higher on xbox because right now everything is dirt cheap. People sell tempers for 2000 apiece. Stacks of resources for 1 to 2k. It's the lowest I've ever seen. Not many things left to actually make money from. Not sure what happened and why it's so bad compared to pc.
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Honestly I wish prices were higher on xbox because right now everything is dirt cheap. People sell tempers for 2000 apiece. Stacks of resources for 1 to 2k. It's the lowest I've ever seen. Not many things left to actually make money from. Not sure what happened and why it's so bad compared to pc.

Thank God for those bots in Alik'r! We see you! You're doing God's work!
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭

There's higher inflation on PC. You might want to charge 10k per wax on console but less people would afford it, so you'd sell less because it's harder to make gold on those platforms.
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s like 400+ sets in this game yet it costs hundreds of thousands to millions of gold to upgrade just one set of jewelry.

Seems really unnecessary tbh. All it does is pidgeonhole us into “meta” sets even more, since they are known to work well, whereas properly testing some of the more obscure sets is ridiculously expensive.
    Edited by Vaoh on December 16, 2021 2:42PM
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vaoh wrote: »
    There’s like 400+ sets in this game yet it costs hundreds of thousands to millions of gold to upgrade just one set of jewelry.

Seems really unnecessary tbh. All it does is pidgeonhole us into “meta” sets even more, since they are known to work well, whereas properly testing some of the more obscure sets is ridiculously expensive.

Costs almost 400k up upgrade one piece to just gold on XB. 1.2 million for a set. I never upgrade jewelry.

Take the same seller. Make 4 chromium cost 100k. I'm gonna upgrade jewelry left and right. They'll still get 1.2 out of me because I'm be motivated to do it.

In this scenario plaiting is easier to farm, so it wouldn't even take more effort. Literally the sellers will make more gold for the same or less time investment.
    Edited by DrSlaughtr on December 16, 2021 5:21PM
  • Necrotech_Master
    Necrotech_Master
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the primary reason jewelry is so overpriced and rough compared to normal crafting is because EVERYTHING has "unrefined" variants

do you have to refine 10x of something to get a "normal" temper? no
    do you have to refine 10x of something to get a "normal" trait material? no

and dont even get me started on jewelry trait materials and how every single one (except for the base 3) come only from very very very specific sources (such as buying dawn-prism for 100k AP from the merchants in cyrodiil and that is it, or slaughterstones ONLY coming from trials, or gilding wax ONLY with master writs)

that is why i see jewelry prices being insane, effectively 10x more work to get tempers (if you didnt need 10 grains for a plating, the platings would be about the same prices as grains i would expect), and sometimes significantly more cost to get trait materials (you can buy some directly, but when you decon you still only get 1/10 of the trait material back)

the original locking out of deconing jewelry obtained before summerset was annoying, but in the long run (its been quite some time since summerset, i would think that and initial inflow of mats since then would have been drowned out by how much has been farmed in the time between then and now)
    plays PC/NA
    handle @Necrotech_Master
    active player since april 2014
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think the primary reason jewelry is so overpriced and rough compared to normal crafting is because EVERYTHING has "unrefined" variants

do you have to refine 10x of something to get a "normal" temper? no
    do you have to refine 10x of something to get a "normal" trait material? no

and dont even get me started on jewelry trait materials and how every single one (except for the base 3) come only from very very very specific sources (such as buying dawn-prism for 100k AP from the merchants in cyrodiil and that is it, or slaughterstones ONLY coming from trials, or gilding wax ONLY with master writs)

that is why i see jewelry prices being insane, effectively 10x more work to get tempers (if you didnt need 10 grains for a plating, the platings would be about the same prices as grains i would expect), and sometimes significantly more cost to get trait materials (you can buy some directly, but when you decon you still only get 1/10 of the trait material back)

the original locking out of deconing jewelry obtained before summerset was annoying, but in the long run (its been quite some time since summerset, i would think that and initial inflow of mats since then would have been drowned out by how much has been farmed in the time between then and now)

The grain system is a terrible design choice that was only implemented because when jewelry crafting arrived, players who had farmed all their gold jewelry cried fowl over players just getting to upgrade and not "work for it."

Meanwhile you can buy dungeon jewelry with AP and get trial jewelry on vet. It really only publishes people who want to run crafted jewelry and those who do not earn AP.