Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

ESO on Series X with an Elite 2 controller

GenjiraX
GenjiraX
✭✭✭✭✭
Ticket number 210817-001384.

I have an input issue with the Console Enhanced version of ESO on the Xbox Series X using an Elite 2 controller. I’d be grateful if any other players could share their experiences with or opinions on this specific setup (Series X, Console Enhanced, Elite 2). Thanks.

The game seems to randomly but frequently ignore the input signal. Most often, it gets stuck in repeat-scroll after I’ve lifted my finger off the button, i.e. it fails to acknowledge the button release. Examples are: scrolling up and down/left and right using the D-pad when in inventories, researching trait lines, cycling quests, etc., using other buttons such as the shoulder buttons to change menus, or the call map button, which instead mounts or dismounts my character. Finally, it also affects the paddles, which I have mapped to A/B/X/Y. This effect occurs whether I have intentionally used scroll-repeat (i.e. held the button down) or simply tapped the button once. It occurs maybe 25% of the time. The other major effect is that it ignores button presses, particularly in combat but also in menus. Fundamentally, it ignores button presses and button releases.

I understand the temptation to consider this simply a faulty controller so I’ve tested it over a number of weeks.

I have three Elite 2 controllers and play on PC/EU and Xbox Series X (EU) in Performance Mode. I have also been playing on the pre-Enhanced version of ESO on my Xbox One X (EU) for testing, hence three Elite 2 controllers. The misbehaviour occurs on all three controllers when paired with my Series X but never occurs on any of the controllers when paired with either PC or Xbox One X - it therefore only occurs in the Console Enhanced edition of the game. It began immediately upon downloading and launching the Console Enhanced version and had never occurred on the Series X before the Console Enhanced version was released.

I’ve also tested the out-of-the-box Series X controller with the Console Enhanced edition and this does NOT exhibit the same misbehaviour.

The problem therefore seems to be how the Console Enhanced edition of the game recognises the signal coming from the Elite 2 controller.

Edited by GenjiraX on August 17, 2021 10:58AM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @GenjiraX

Please check your forum inbox as we've sent you an update on your current ticket.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks @ZOS_BillE - great response from CS (no automated email, just an immediate recommendation to try setting Gameplay to defaults before going any further, which I'm testing now).
  • Tarbs01
    Tarbs01
    I am experiencing the same issue as OP. Xbox/NA. I will also add that the menus will frequently jump upon releasing the thumbstick as well. I have just now tried setting the Gameplay section to defaults and it it seemed to make no difference, other than losing my custom colors of course. I have tried to replicate this behavior in the Xbox dashboard as well as in other games and it only happens in ESO. It's like the sensitivity for the thumbsticks is too high but the recognition of button press is missing some inputs. I will also add that I used this same Elite controller on my Xbox One X with ESO for a few months before moving to the Series X and did not have these issues then.
    Xbox/NA Nord DK For the Pact!
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tarbs01 wrote: »
    I have just now tried setting the Gameplay section to defaults and it it seemed to make no difference...

Yes - unfortunately, it didn't work for me, either. CS didn't actually offer it as a solution; they just asked me to reset the Gameplay settings to default before they progressed the ticket, which I've now updated.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    By way of an update, CS asked me to do the usual Xbox steps (clear save data, power cycle the Xbox, uninstall and reinstall the game), none of which made a difference. They also asked to to make a video of the game's aberrant behaviour, so here it is.

At the 7-second mark, I begin to tap my D-pad:Down button, once for each item. On the fourth item, the game takes off by itself, ignores my button release and just scroll-repeats itself through to the Clothier section, when it stops of its own accord.
  • Th3rtythr33
    Th3rtythr33
    Soul Shriven
    I’ve had identical experiences with my identical setup. My controller also has a bad left bumper, and the problem with the D-pad you described in your last post began at about the time the bumper went bad on the controller. I had believed it was a problem between the controller and console or with the controller itself, but now I’m not sure. The bumper happened to go bad at about the same time as I bought my Series X.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve had identical experiences with my identical setup. My controller also has a bad left bumper, and the problem with the D-pad you described in your last post began at about the time the bumper went bad on the controller. I had believed it was a problem between the controller and console or with the controller itself, but now I’m not sure. The bumper happened to go bad at about the same time as I bought my Series X.

I know it's not my controllers because all three of them work fine when paired with either my PC or my Xbox One X. I did ruin my first Elite 2 when they moved combat calculations server-side and none of the abilities were firing. I was hammering the buttons to try to get some kind of response and eventually the right shoulder button gave up. That controller is not among the three I've been testing for this issue.

Did you buy your Series X before or after Console Enhanced was released (15 June, I think)?
  • npuk
    npuk
    ✭✭✭
    I have had the same thing with, Series X, Console Enhanced, Elite 1.
    The Sacrificial Warriors GMXbox One EU:18x CP Chars (2300+ CP)Xbox One NA: 3x CP Chars (800+ CP)Xbox One (alt) EU:5x CP Chars (1500+ CP)Xbox One (alt 2) EU:1x CP Chars (450+ CP)PC EU: 1x CP Char (400+ CP)
  • NewBlacksmurf
    NewBlacksmurf
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s not just you. This happens on both elite controllers for me.

But it’s been that way since Xbox one x rolled out but I was told it was just me cause I was in the Xbox preview builds. No longer in but seems it’s impacting others too and being acknowledged.
    -PC (PTS)/Xbox One: NewBlacksmurf
    ~<{[50]}>~ looks better than *501
  • MoMo_Blend
    MoMo_Blend
    ✭✭
    Holy cow!! This whole time I was thinking my controller was going bad!! So this is really a bug??
  • Skall66
    Skall66
    ✭✭✭
    same setup, same issues. Xbox EU, day one series X, day one Elite 2 controller
    Mudcrab magnet
    Xbox EU
  • MoMo_Blend
    MoMo_Blend
    ✭✭
    Any updates on this issue? It seems like it has gotten worst.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MoMo_Blend wrote: »
    Any updates on this issue? It seems like it has gotten worst.
    The last update I received on my ticket was 23 August:
    Thank you for your detailed reply. I have gathered the information provided and sent it up to be reviewed by the developers. If they discover it to be a bug, it will need to be resolved in a future patch. Please feel free to keep an eye out on our website for future patch notes and updates.

If the developers have any information regarding your specific account, we will be sure to reach back out to you. We appreciate you bringing this issue to our attention!
    My "detailed reply" was pretty much just repeating what was in the OP in this thread.
    • The issues began to occur immediately upon launching the Console Enhanced edition of ESO when it was released on 15 June. They had never occurred before. Bear in mind, it doesn't just scroll-repeat of its own accord - it also intermittently ignores button presses on all buttons.
    • The issues occur on all characters consistently maybe 20-25% of the time.
    • It was last functioning correctly on the Series X prior to downloading the Console Enhanced edition of ESO.
    • The original post on this ticket details my experiments. I have used the out-of-the-box Series X controller with the Console Enhanced edition and do NOT get the same problems at all. I have three Elite 2 controllers and every one of them exhibits the same problems when used with the Series X and Console Enhanced. None of them exhibit the problems when playing ESO on my PC or with the pre-enhanced edition of ESO on my Xbox One X.
  • GenjiraX
    GenjiraX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My ticket has now been permanently closed without further information or comment.
  • Jameson18
    Jameson18
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    At this point, that setup is not required to have the issue.

Multiple Xbox One's and Series consoles in the house. Elite controllers, non elite controllers, etc. - Your described issues are just inherent to how the game runs in general as of an update or two ago.

Edit: I should add that I to thought my controller was going bad. Replaced batteries, replaced controller etc. etc. Checked GF's, checked both the kids'. All having same issues.

Tested gameplay on multiple combinations of controllers, consoles, external drives, internal/onboard drives, wired, wireless, etc. etc. - Also only present on/playing ESO. At least out of the games in our library anyway.

470 down, 23 up, internet. Hardwired from router, hardwired from modem, etc. etc. Pretty much every typical thing and even non-typical thing a person would normally drill down through to see where the problem is on their end has been tried.
    Edited by Jameson18 on September 9, 2021 8:02PM