The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[SOLVED] How to buy from guild traders?

vsrs_au
vsrs_au
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
I know there has been a lot of threads on this topic, and my apologies for starting another, but I searched this forum and the internet in general, and didn't find the answer I sought. When I interact with a guild trader and the trader's products window appears, all the categories are empty, i.e. if I select a category, the list of items to the right of the categories list is empty. If I search for a specific named item, still nothing. Any idea what I might be doing wrong?
Edited by vsrs_au on August 14, 2021 9:41PM
PC(Steam) / EU / play from Melbourne, Australia / avg ping 390
  • Hämähäkki
    Hämähäkki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a social ban on your side. If this happens with every trader it's most likely a ban.
    Are you able to write ingame messages?
    TherealHämähäkki
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe a social ban on your side. If this happens with every trader it's most likely a ban.
    Are you able to write ingame messages?
    I think so, but I've never actually had an in-game conversation with anyone, I play solo. Perhaps I should raise a ticket for the guild trader problem? How would I know if there was some kind of ban? I've been playing for 4 months and I've received no emails regarding that.
    Edited by vsrs_au on August 14, 2021 1:03PM
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not in-game right now, but if I remember correctly you have to put in your search parameters (category, item name, whatever) and then click search before it will actually show the results.

Also not all guild traders have all items, or even item types, each one will only stock what that guild's members are selling. For example if not one in the guild has put up any furniture plans then that category will be empty and searching for any plan by name will return no results.

Finding what you want on guild traders is more dependant on luck and persistance than anything else.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    First off, make sure you reset the search criteria in the guild trader window. If you've accidentally set the quality/level to something that doesn't apply, that might be causing the "empty" result. (I've done this before.)

If that doesn't work, a social ban typically means that you can't use guild traders, can't send mail, can't talk in guild, can't whisper, etc. You won't always get an email about it - most people notice it when they suddenly can't interact like usual.

If you have the other issues associated with a social ban, you'll need to contact Support to get it reverersed. Social bans are often handed out automatically for stuff like "too much messaging." That's frequently caused by addons that deal with mail, but can also be caused when the server backs up while receiving messages from you client, then catches up, making the server think it's getting a ton of messages at once. So it's entirely possible you didn't "do" anything to cause it.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Have you used traders in the past?
    PC NA
  • vsrs_au
    vsrs_au
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Never mind, problem "solved", it was user error! My apologies for wasting everyone's time. I had focused on the guild trader window, and never looked at the bottom of my game screen, where it showed "(R) start search (X) reset search". Very stupid of me.
    Edited by vsrs_au on August 14, 2021 9:41PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »
    Never mind, problem "solved", it was user error! My apologies for wasting everyone's time. I had focused on the guild trader window, and never looked at the bottom of my game screen, where it showed "(R) start search (X) reset search". Very stupid of me.

Glad you got it worked out. Happy shopping!
  • deejayvee
    deejayvee
    ✭✭✭✭
    vsrs_au wrote: »

I did this too for the first few times I tried to buy stuff from Guild traders. I find much of the ESO interface isn't intuitive or consistent.
    PC - NA