The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

A 'simple' fix for one of the most griped about issues

cptqrk
cptqrk
✭✭✭
Good day to all!

Hello, my name is cptqrk and I am a quest junkie.

It pains me (read annoys me) that there are soo many 'prologue' quests that you get barraged by when ever you enter/exit towns, doors, sections of cities, etc etc...

The "Do you know how long I've been looking for you?" and "You there! Want to do something special?" and "Friend of Concordia! Over here!" type audio cues that most people endure, and complain about on the forums. The guilt, that turns into rage, that turns into "why can't I use my Blade of Woe on these guys?" could be avoided by one, little change.

Up the quest log cap.

25 quests maximum in your log was fine when the game launched, but with years of expansions, DLC, and added quests, and guild hall lines it is no longer enough.

If ZoS doesn't like the idea of upping the cap to ensure some kind of vision for the player experience, then maybe make it so the prologue quests don't count towards that cap?

Please ZoS, please make it so I don't hate your NPCs for just doing their jobs..

:)
Edited by ZOS_FalcoYamaoka on May 22, 2021 4:55PM
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has been suggested many times.

It's OBVIOUSLY the right thing to do.
  • Tandor
    Tandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The size of your quest journal is believed to contribute to performance in respect of e.g. loading times. I think it's unlikely they'll raise the cap.
  • cptqrk
    cptqrk
    ✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »
    The size of your quest journal is believed to contribute to performance in respect of e.g. loading times. I think it's unlikely they'll raise the cap.

I have some doubts on this, maybe because I'm not a game developer.

Wouldn't additional quest journal slots be better for performance than having to render the quest givers, and trigger their lines every time a character gets within hearing distance?
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Tandor wrote: »

Then they should rewrite some awful bit of code.

The amount of data that needs to be recorded about the state of each quest is tiny.
  • jle30303
    jle30303
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do "Quest Items" count towards the inventory limit?

If not - and I believe they shouldn't - then this should be the solution.

For the Morrowind prologue: Remove Rhea Opacarius from the vanilla game. Leave Alessio Guillon there. When you talk to him once (and he appears everywhere), you get a Quest Item in your inventory, entitled "Prologue: The Missing Prophecy". You can leave it there as long as you like. No inconvenient quest arrows anywhere. ONLY WHEN YOU READ THIS, does Rhea Opacarius appear, in the inn in Wayrest, and you get the actual prologue quest as an actual quest.

And at the end of the quest you should get the "Invitation to Morrowind" as an inventory item - to read, and go to Seyda Neen and start the actual Morrowind content.

For Orsinium: Stuga chases you around with "Do you know how long I've been looking for you?" When you talk to her, once, you get the quest item "Invitation to Orsinium", and she disappears from the game. There are no quest arrows, and no cart to Wrothgar yet. When you actually read the invitation, *that* is when the Wrothgar cart appears, and starts the first quest (helping the shipment of supplies and migrants to Orsinium defend itself against the Winterborn).

And similarly for all the other prologue quests...
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jle30303 wrote: »
    Do "Quest Items" count towards the inventory limit?

If not - and I believe they shouldn't - then this should be the solution.

For the Morrowind prologue: Remove Rhea Opacarius from the vanilla game. Leave Alessio Guillon there. When you talk to him once (and he appears everywhere), you get a Quest Item in your inventory, entitled "Prologue: The Missing Prophecy". You can leave it there as long as you like. No inconvenient quest arrows anywhere. ONLY WHEN YOU READ THIS, does Rhea Opacarius appear, in the inn in Wayrest, and you get the actual prologue quest as an actual quest.

And at the end of the quest you should get the "Invitation to Morrowind" as an inventory item - to read, and go to Seyda Neen and start the actual Morrowind content.

For Orsinium: Stuga chases you around with "Do you know how long I've been looking for you?" When you talk to her, once, you get the quest item "Invitation to Orsinium", and she disappears from the game. There are no quest arrows, and no cart to Wrothgar yet. When you actually read the invitation, *that* is when the Wrothgar cart appears, and starts the first quest (helping the shipment of supplies and migrants to Orsinium defend itself against the Winterborn).

And similarly for all the other prologue quests...

This is a neat idea. But consider that every Quest Item must have a quest in the Journal attached to it as well (that's what allows a Quest Item to exist in the Inventory), so without raising the quest log cap as well, this idea doesn't work by itself.

Edit: On a related note, if they just silenced Stuga (maybe put that line on her Greeting instead of her Hello), that might help as well. And move her away from the Wayshrine to, say, inside the tavern or near the city entrance.
    Edited by Enodoc on May 24, 2021 6:28PM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Second this!

As a New Player, OMG! my effng Quest Log is Full as soon as I take one area quest, as I really don't want to be leaving Starter Zone and running willy nilly everywhere else just for one questline.

I'm trying to do this in an orderly fashion, but I'm really getting tired of seeing "Quest Log Full" every time I try to pick up an "area" quest...
  • cptqrk
    cptqrk
    ✭✭✭
    wait until you toss daily crafting quests into the mix... you either have to abandon some regular quests and keep the slots open, or do a few dailies, turn them in, then go back to pick up more, and craft some more, then run to turn them in, then go back....

You see the problem :)
  • netch_a_sketch
    netch_a_sketch
    ✭✭✭✭
    inb4 eso+ new feature includes double quest slots lol