The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Why is there still so little information on companions?

hcbigdogdoghc
hcbigdogdoghc
✭✭✭✭✭
Like, I just want to know which setup makes companions do the most dps.

But pretty much zero information, builds, research, addons, etc for companions, hell there isn't even a addon for us to see companion dps like wat. It almost seems like everyone just put a resto staff on their companion and gave up.

And where are the math people? Why isn't there anyone testing different gear traits? Different weapon types? Or figure out what's the base pen and crit for companions? Or anything else?

Sure there's alcast, and he suggests ranged weapons and go all aggressive on dps companions, but dude also put destro staff companions in freaking light armor. So nothing against him I don't think I can take his guide seriously.

Plz anyone? I just want to optimize my Mirri's dps D:

I put my Mirri in 2 shattering rest quickened and I can only squeeze 8k dps out of her, I heard rumors of companions being able to do 15-20k dps, i just want to know if that's true and how plzzz

Math people where are you, do some deep dive into companions plzzzz

Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on August 13, 2021 11:32PM
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just want to know which setup makes companions do the most dps.

None. No seriously there is not a good setup for Companion dps.

I know you're asking a serious question but I really feel like this is the answer. Companion dps is almost non-existent.
    PC NA
    Options
  • Calm_Fury
    Calm_Fury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean... They are so underwhelming that is not really worth it to try any of that.

The "math" people is not the target nor the user of that system.

I think enough time has passed to put companions as a very strictly casual/RPG feature.

Don't expect min/maxers or even ZOS to work on making them the most efficient things.

Companions will most likely be like housing: a nice feature if you like to role play, chill out, etc.
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    (...) I heard rumors of companions being able to do 15-20k dps (...)
    Companions weren't designed/intented to do a dps amount similar to a player's dps: they are not meant to replace players. Not even with right trait for dps, aggressive (Damage Done), and all gear purple (companion's top quality) you will be able to pull a high dps: it was announced on a ESO live stream that a fully optimized Companion can do between 5k-10k dps.

Rumour isn't true at all.

"Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    (...) I heard rumors of companions being able to do 15-20k dps (...)
    Companions weren't designed/intented to do a dps amount similar to a player's dps: they are not meant to replace players. Not even with right trait for dps, aggressive (Damage Done), and all gear purple (companion's top quality) you will be able to pull a high dps: it was announced on a ESO live stream that a fully optimized Companion can do between 5k-10k dps.

Rumour isn't true at all.

But like, are we even sure that full aggressive is the best setup? What about some extra pen/crit or faster cooldown?
    Options
  • ghost_bg_ESO
    ghost_bg_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Haven't tried yet Miri with 2h or DW, but i'm skeptical about it as she still will be able to roll dodge away. When she is with staff my regular battles are: i drop all ground aoes, Mirri drags boss away and rince and repeat... most likely will equip her too with sword and board.

Bastian was at first sight sword and board and i'm ok.

On solo vet and dlc dungeons they both take regular "dirt naps" no matter of tested builds, so i'm ok for tanks as i wouldn't run around to chase bosses when they are alive, and on easy content i usually burst enemies fast enough. It is more likely to improve my builds than to squeeze a bit more dps from companions.

You can hope someone who mains tank to give opinion.
    Options
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    But like, are we even sure that full aggressive is the best setup? What about some extra pen/crit or faster cooldown?

Again, it was announced on a ESO live stream that a fully optimized Companion can do between 5k-10k dps.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assuming all are epic.

12 Aggressive + Medium Armor + Passive = 30% increased damage.

7 Shattered + 5 Aggressive + Medium Armor + Passive = 31% increased damage.
    - Overland assuming no Major and Minor Breach, max penetration.
    - Group Dungeon content with Major and Minor Breach, max penetration.

12 Quickened + Haste = 31% faster recovery, 8 consecutive attacks repeat every 25 seconds. approx 35% increased damage.
    - Starfall, Life Absorption/Crag Smash, Destructive Blast/Viper's Bite, Sniping Silver, Haste.
    - Mirri can replace Life Absorption with Parallel at the end of the chain to trigger faster Ultimate casts.

Other combos don't really matter unfortunately.
    Edited by phaneub17_ESO on August 14, 2021 1:23AM
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Again, it was announced on a ESO live stream that a fully optimized Companion can do between 5k-10k dps.

Ok, so my mirri does 8k dps, how do I boost her to 10k
    Options
  • omegatay_ESO
    omegatay_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    At first I thought companions would be cool, and allow you to do some content you can't do with a little help..
    Well... Hahaha. I honesty now, don't know why zos even put them in the game. Was it a easy feature they could just slap together, and make it look like a awesome feature?
    Anyways, I will stop there. This is already borderline moderation worthy.. sighs
    Options
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've no use for companions. Not in this game or any other (even the SPMR games I've played over decades). I don't need sidekicks - especially the kind always in the way.... not to mention the kind where I have to mess with leveling ANYTHING about them.

Good LORD. I have enough to do to level my characters - and that's my own sort of fun. The rest of what I have to say is.... not happening. I value my posting privs, thank you.
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running my dps companion in mostly quickened gear for better cooldowns. I do 10 quickened on the body and jewelry and use the weapon as a flex slot. Shattering if I need the pen. Aggressive if I'm pairing it with a tank so the pen isn't an issue as much. I use 2 handed because I find any of the ranged options clunky. It also provides some built in cleave damage with no overall single target dps loss. If the companion stands at range and pulls mobs away, I consider that a dps loss. I want them right up in the mix so mobs clump together. I do tend to see 8k - 11k dps in single target fights. I haven't found a way to make them a viable help in aoe fights. They are missing a few tools to make it work and the cooldowns are ridiculously high on most aoe skills.
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been running my dps companion in mostly quickened gear for better cooldowns. I do 10 quickened on the body and jewelry and use the weapon as a flex slot. Shattering if I need the pen. Aggressive if I'm pairing it with a tank so the pen isn't an issue as much. I use 2 handed because I find any of the ranged options clunky. It also provides some built in cleave damage with no overall single target dps loss. If the companion stands at range and pulls mobs away, I consider that a dps loss. I want them right up in the mix so mobs clump together. I do tend to see 8k - 11k dps in single target fights. I haven't found a way to make them a viable help in aoe fights. They are missing a few tools to make it work and the cooldowns are ridiculously high on most aoe skills.

Seriously, the fighter's guild skills, undaunted skills, armor skills, and Mirri's skills are so trash I can't even.....

I get not wanting to let companions replace players, but at least buff some useless skills so that they are at least worth running.
    Options
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Assuming all are epic.

12 Quickened + Haste = 31% faster recovery, 8 consecutive attacks repeat every 25 seconds. approx 35% increased damage.
    - Starfall, Life Absorption/Crag Smash, Destructive Blast/Viper's Bite, Sniping Silver, Haste.
    - Mirri can replace Life Absorption with Parallel at the end of the chain to trigger faster Ultimate casts.

I'm going for the second one, mostly penetration and then aggressive. Not all purple gear yet.

Works ok. But my healer light attacks for more dps. :#

Definitely not a huge room for improvement with current companions.
    Edited by Fennwitty on August 14, 2021 3:34AM
    PC NA
    Options
  • EF321
    EF321
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm just going for all quickened simply for versatility. Slot all damage skills - damage dealer, slot all healing skills - healer, tank - same. Yes it will probably be not the most efficient for any of the roles, but it will save me headache with inventory management.
    Options
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If if I take my example: I do absolutely nothing to level up & equip my companions. I use them as they are, and for what I do, they are more than good enough as are. So I have absolutely no need to work out a build for them.

It could be a reason. No discussion because simply no build necessary. At least not for a casual PvE players. And for higher level content like in dungeons for example, I believe that players don't take companions with them so there is also no need on that side.

All in all, I'm not sure, but I tend to believe that as long as companions aren't used for a content where it would be really required to have them performing at a higher level, nobody will have a big interest to create specific build for them. Maybe it will come later, if some start to use them to run dungeons solo with support of companions for example. But it's probably to new yet.

I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
    Options
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DreamyLu wrote: »
    If if I take my example: I do absolutely nothing to level up & equip my companions. I use them as they are, and for what I do, they are more than good enough as are. So I have absolutely no need to work out a build for them.

It could be a reason. No discussion because simply no build necessary. At least not for a casual PvE players. And for higher level content like in dungeons for example, I believe that players don't take companions with them so there is also no need on that side.

All in all, I'm not sure, but I tend to believe that as long as companions aren't used for a content where it would be really required to have them performing at a higher level, nobody will have a big interest to create specific build for them. Maybe it will come later, if some start to use them to run dungeons solo with support of companions for example. But it's probably to new yet.

Part of the issue is in content where it would matter (dungeons and trials) they take up a spot of a real player and just can't compete. In content where slots aren't an issue like overland, no massive optimization is necessary as you've pointed out. You can have 40 players at a Harrowstorm. If each player has a companion, that is pure dps/survival gain, even if those companions do nearly nothing.

If there is ever any content that comes along where a companion has in impact but doesn't take away a slot from a real player, they become quite useful. For instance, if they were allowed in solo arenas, they would most definitely be used and lead to faster (or at least easier) clears.
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in all, I'm not sure, but I tend to believe that as long as companions aren't used for a content where it would be really required to have them performing at a higher level, nobody will have a big interest to create specific build for them.

If there is ever any content that comes along where a companion has in impact but doesn't take away a slot from a real player, they become quite useful. For instance, if they were allowed in solo arenas, they would most definitely be used and lead to faster (or at least easier) clears.

If only we have harder overland and questline...shame we will never get that because level 1 players need 99% of the game to themselves apparently.

But seriously, can i at least know what combination of gear traits give the highest dps?

And if it's really full aggressive, some math pretty please uwu?

Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on August 14, 2021 6:24AM
    Options
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    All in all, I'm not sure, but I tend to believe that as long as companions aren't used for a content where it would be really required to have them performing at a higher level, nobody will have a big interest to create specific build for them.

If only we have harder overland and questline...shame we will never get that because level 1 players need 99% of the game to themselves apparently.

But seriously, can i at least know what combination of gear traits give the highest dps?

You're kidding, right?
    Assuming all are epic.

Can you not just accept the answers given?
    Companions are garbage, mostly for flavor and roll playing.
    Everything you're asking has already been answered... accept it or don't.
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »

You're kidding, right?
    Assuming all are epic.

Where does 35% increased damage from 12 haste + haste came from?

Why zero focused trait? Why is focused trait bad? Dps players are stacking crits, why can't companions stack crit too?

Why not a combination of shattering + quickened or aggressive + quickened?

Why destro staff and bow and not melee weapons? Two handers looks pretty good to me?

If using destro staff should I go lightning or inferno?

Who pulls higher dps with the same setup? Mirri or Bastian?

I have more questions, but I can't find the answers anywhere.

Do I really have to spend 1 billion gold buying companion gear and testing it myself just to find some answers

Oh wait I can't even test it myself, there's literally no way I can test companion dps in the game, no one bothered to make an addon. Not even combat metrics works.
    Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on August 14, 2021 10:11AM
    Options
  • StamPlar_1976
    StamPlar_1976
    ✭✭✭✭
    Test it yourself if you don't like the information given to you.
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Test it yourself if you don't like the information given to you.

I dont have 1 billion gold lying around to spend on all these epic companion gear :(

Besides most of the information given to me so far are "companions are garbage" which unfortunately are not what im looking for.
    Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on August 14, 2021 10:43AM
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me give you a rundown on the Quickened + Haste combo, you are sacrificing any damage increase for more frequent casting. The idea here is to offset the damage loss by having them hit more often, there is still the problem of the cast times which are hard numbers that should be included. Your companion's opening salvo hits twice effectively doing double base damage as they hit 8 times and repeats again every 25 seconds vs Aggressive hitting 5 times at 30% increased damage. You're also increasing the number of hits between each Haste, I'll put it down below. It's not just more casts of spells, you're also generating Ultimate faster for Mirri's Impeccable Shot while it has a downtime of 3 seconds, it let's you prep up and unload in the next 3 seconds after with 20% increased damage taken on the target.

31% Quickened on Cast times: 8 sec -> 5.5, 12 sec -> 8.3, 16 sec -> 11, 36 sec -> 25
    - Starfall casts every 6.1 seconds (4 casts between every Haste)
    - Crag Smash casts every 5.9 seconds (4 casts between every Haste)
    - Life Absorption casts every 10.3 seconds (2 casts between every Haste)
    - Destructive Blast casts every 11.5 seconds (2 casts between every Haste)
    - Viper's Bite casts every 8.4 seconds (3 casts between every Haste)
    - Sniping Silver casts every 8.7 seconds (3 casts between every Haste)
    - Parallel casts every 11.6 seconds (2 casts between every Haste)

As for Focused, we don't know what's the companion's base critical rating, we can't see their stat sheet. We can only calculate how much we're adding on top of what they have, but not know how much they have in total. It makes it impossible to figure out when we reached the caps of 50% or 70%, we just don't know. Secondly they don't get increased Critical Damage modifier so its assumed that every time they do critical strike its only 1.5 times the damage.

Ranged weapons with their dodge roll faults is only a problem if you don't have a taunt. Inferno Staff does more damage as most powerful enemies are immune to knockback and it applies damage over time. If Overland then Lightning Staff is better for the AOE and if you hate the knockback effect of Inferno Staff which works on most Overland targets. Bow has the same benefits with Viper's Bite with damage over time. Frost Staff, replace Destructive Blast with Parallel or any other ability.

1H+Shield and Frost Staff they won't dodge roll until they reach critical =< 25% health. Two-Handed and Dual Wield they won't dodge roll until they reach half =< 50% health. Bow, Restoration, Inferno, or Lightning Staff they won't dodge roll unless the enemy they are targeting gets into melee range, they will do this at any health. Haste resets the cooldown on dodge roll.

As for which one does more damage, this depends on how you see their damage done. Bastian's Searing Weapon is great for both of you and can have a downtime of 3.2 seconds. Mirri has most raw damage because of Impeccable Shot that can be cast at ranged or right in their face. Bastian's Ultimate requires multiple conditions such as he must be in melee range with his target and must stay in melee range for 2-3 seconds before it will initiate a cast. Furthermore if his target moves while he is casting his Ultimate, he will stop it until he gets back into position and meet all requirements again. Bastian's conditions are VERY specific, he must be in melee range with HIS target, he could be standing in a pack of 20 mobs but if the target he is attacking isn't in melee range he still won't cast his Ultimate.
    Options
  • Parasaurolophus
    Parasaurolophus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »

You're kidding, right?
    Assuming all are epic.

Where does 35% increased damage from 12 haste + haste came from?

Why zero focused trait? Why is focused trait bad? Dps players are stacking crits, why can't companions stack crit too?

Why not a combination of shattering + quickened or aggressive + quickened?

Why destro staff and bow and not melee weapons? Two handers looks pretty good to me?

If using destro staff should I go lightning or inferno?

Who pulls higher dps with the same setup? Mirri or Bastian?

I have more questions, but I can't find the answers anywhere.

Do I really have to spend 1 billion gold buying companion gear and testing it myself just to find some answers

Oh wait I can't even test it myself, there's literally no way I can test companion dps in the game, no one bothered to make an addon. Not even combat metrics works.

If you are a PC player, you can download the PTS client. There you can immediately get all the necessary equipment for your companions for free. But my advice to you is, just don't worry about it. It makes absolutely no sense how much lower damage is lower.
    PC/EU
    Options
  • hcbigdogdoghc
    hcbigdogdoghc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let me give you a rundown on the Quickened + Haste combo, you are sacrificing any damage increase for more frequent casting. The idea here is to offset the damage loss by having them hit more often, there is still the problem of the cast times which are hard numbers that should be included. Your companion's opening salvo hits twice effectively doing double base damage as they hit 8 times and repeats again every 25 seconds vs Aggressive hitting 5 times at 30% increased damage. You're also increasing the number of hits between each Haste, I'll put it down below. It's not just more casts of spells, you're also generating Ultimate faster for Mirri's Impeccable Shot while it has a downtime of 3 seconds, it let's you prep up and unload in the next 3 seconds after with 20% increased damage taken on the target.

31% Quickened on Cast times: 8 sec -> 5.5, 12 sec -> 8.3, 16 sec -> 11, 36 sec -> 25
    - Starfall casts every 6.1 seconds (4 casts between every Haste)
    - Crag Smash casts every 5.9 seconds (4 casts between every Haste)
    - Life Absorption casts every 10.3 seconds (2 casts between every Haste)
    - Destructive Blast casts every 11.5 seconds (2 casts between every Haste)
    - Viper's Bite casts every 8.4 seconds (3 casts between every Haste)
    - Sniping Silver casts every 8.7 seconds (3 casts between every Haste)
    - Parallel casts every 11.6 seconds (2 casts between every Haste)

As for Focused, we don't know what's the companion's base critical rating, we can't see their stat sheet. We can only calculate how much we're adding on top of what they have, but not know how much they have in total. It makes it impossible to figure out when we reached the caps of 50% or 70%, we just don't know. Secondly they don't get increased Critical Damage modifier so its assumed that every time they do critical strike its only 1.5 times the damage.

Ranged weapons with their dodge roll faults is only a problem if you don't have a taunt. Inferno Staff does more damage as most powerful enemies are immune to knockback and it applies damage over time. If Overland then Lightning Staff is better for the AOE and if you hate the knockback effect of Inferno Staff which works on most Overland targets. Bow has the same benefits with Viper's Bite with damage over time. Frost Staff, replace Destructive Blast with Parallel or any other ability.

1H+Shield and Frost Staff they won't dodge roll until they reach critical =< 25% health. Two-Handed and Dual Wield they won't dodge roll until they reach half =< 50% health. Bow, Restoration, Inferno, or Lightning Staff they won't dodge roll unless the enemy they are targeting gets into melee range, they will do this at any health. Haste resets the cooldown on dodge roll.

As for which one does more damage, this depends on how you see their damage done. Bastian's Searing Weapon is great for both of you and can have a downtime of 3.2 seconds. Mirri has most raw damage because of Impeccable Shot that can be cast at ranged or right in their face. Bastian's Ultimate requires multiple conditions such as he must be in melee range with his target and must stay in melee range for 2-3 seconds before it will initiate a cast. Furthermore if his target moves while he is casting his Ultimate, he will stop it until he gets back into position and meet all requirements again. Bastian's conditions are VERY specific, he must be in melee range with HIS target, he could be standing in a pack of 20 mobs but if the target he is attacking isn't in melee range he still won't cast his Ultimate.

For Mirri in particular, is it really worth investing in her ult?

I was using parallel like you before, but then I figure that she could had been using another dps skill in parallel's place, and that she could had been doing light attacks and skills during that 3 seconds ult cast time.

I'm tbh skeptical thst the ult's worth it.
    Edited by hcbigdogdoghc on August 14, 2021 12:17PM
    Options
  • Nogawd
    Nogawd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I knew going into companions that I would use them for a little extra CC. It has not changed after.
    Options
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In all a very informative thread as I don't know much about the companions. Many thanks to @phaneub17_ESO for the detailed information.
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You know how much DPS my companions do? I don't care!

Bastian: 1h + shield, Heavy, 26% Reduced Cooldown.
    Drake's Blood, Kindle, Provoke, On Guard, Ritual of Salvation.
    Only take him out when confronting World Bosses solo.

Mirri: Dual-Wield, Medium, 26% Reduced Cooldown.
    Warp Strike, Masque of Torment, Life Siphon, Spinning Steel, Razor Cape.
    Mainly use her for the Teleport and AOE fear, it has no target limit then spends the rest of her time doing AOE damage.

I only added the Parallel information for those who want to know more about it, don't actually use it myself as I'm not focused on actually pumping their damage. I play for fun, I don't even max DPS my characters. I do builds that I enjoy with rotations that are easy to handle, avoiding any of the min/max or meta crap. Companions just compliment my gameplay.
    Options
  • Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    Celephantsylvius_Bornasfinmo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi Op,

I don't think anyone is really going to make build guides for companions or maybe at least not yet (with the current model).
    Give it some time and perhaps they will start investing their own time too, but for now I think it's to new and perhaps not that extended within the community.

*still no companions here for info*
    Options
  • LalMirchi
    LalMirchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a question, do daggers give Mirri the same crit advantage as a normal character? I did not like using swords as they look so ugly on her. Axes are OK in looks but daggers are my favourite when it comes to DW,
    Options
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    LalMirchi wrote: »
    I have a question, do daggers give Mirri the same crit advantage as a normal character? I did not like using swords as they look so ugly on her. Axes are OK in looks but daggers are my favourite when it comes to DW,

None of their melee weapons have any benefit over the other, all it does is increase the pool of drops and reducing your chances of getting the item with the traits that you want. In the next major update Companion Daggers will be dropping like they should have been thus the companion item drop count is going up another 27 items.
    Options