The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

9 traits in 2021 - any benefit

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

I read the 9-trait discussion back to 2017.

In 2021 is there any point to researching a 9 trait sets?

The only value I can see is to craft and sell as these sets would be more rare, I suspect. Is that the point?

But more traits does not mean a 'better' set, correct?

I was hoping if you had researched all 9 traits, maybe you would incur less of a cost for Transmute crystals or some other benefit.

Thoughts?

Tanks,

Z
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only real benefit is a small, but still marked, increase in the rate of getting gold tempers as reward from doing daily crafting writs. There is also clear increase in the rate of getting master writs as rewards the more traits you know. Knowing more crafting styles has an almost meaningless effect on increasing rate for getting master writs. The main determining factor seems to be the number of traits you know.

Beyond that though... Not much practical benefit. I guess master writs calling for 9 trait gear also reward a tad more of voucher on average. Though it's hard to say to what extent since the rarity of the style also plays a role in that.
    Edited by Hymzir on August 9, 2021 4:40PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is it part of getting the Grand Master Crafter title? It might just be getting one potent and one fortified trait learned.

A lot of players in my guild request nirnhoned gear for trait research, so it’s valuable to a guild to be able to help with that.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Oliviander
    Oliviander
    ✭✭✭✭
    All of my 18 Cars know all 9 traits on everything
    so I can't tell the difference ;)
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    The only real benefit is a small, but still marked, increase in the rate of getting gold tempers as reward from doing daily crafting writs. There is also clear increase in the rate of getting master writs as rewards the more traits you know. Knowing more crafting styles has an almost meaningless effect on increasing rate for getting master writs. The main determining factor seems to be the number of traits you know.

Beyond that though... Not much practical benefit. I guess master writs calling for 9 trait gear also reward a tad more of voucher on average. Though it's hard to say to what extent since the rarity of the style also plays a role in that.

Wow, I did not know that. Now I am happy that I am a loon having taught all my seven alts all the 9 traits... in everything. Everything! :-P
  • Zama666
    Zama666
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was kind of hoping more traits meant more benefits. I guess there is variety.

But is an armor set that has 9 traits better than one with less.

Yes these do different things. But does having more traits make them better. Or just more rare?

Name: Twice-Born Star
    Type: Craftable
    Traits needed to craft: 9

Name: Fortified Brass
    Traits needed to craft: 4

Tanks!
  • NettleCarrier
    NettleCarrier
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I recommend just doing it on one character at least. This way you'll always have the ability to craft any craftable set (new, old, or even redesigned ones when they buff random old sets). It also gives you the ability to make more master writs which is always a good thing. They are among the fastest sources for exp if you are grinding CP and if you have a character to learn all motifs on then you are already working towards that same goal :)
    GM of Gold Coast Corsairs - PCNA
  • JKorr
    JKorr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zama666 wrote: »

Yes these do different things. But does having more traits make them better. Or just more rare?

Tanks!

Depends on how you want to play. Which boosts work best for you?

I have fun with my stamdks with Hundings and Morkuldins, or Morkuldins and Cold Harbors Favorite.
  • moo_2021
    moo_2021
    ✭✭✭✭

Tanks!

Neither better nor rare, just different.

Pretty much every guilds have max crafters who are happy to help crafting. Even if you ask a random player I doubt he or she would charge for that.

The sets need to be paired with skills and other gears for maximum effect. You can check existing builds online or use the build editor to see how good the build will be.
  • Alendrin
    Alendrin
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

I read the 9-trait discussion back to 2017.

In 2021 is there any point to researching a 9 trait sets?

The only value I can see is to craft and sell as these sets would be more rare, I suspect. Is that the point?

Z

People have listed some reasons, but the main one is being able to craft 9 trait items. I made millions sell New Moon when it was hot.
  • Ippokrates
    Ippokrates
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO there is no relation between quality of the set & required amount of traits. Sure, NMA was hit hit since then most of new popular sets (stuhn, dv, hc) are kept on more realistic requirements of 5-6 traits. Bah, look at the Innate Axiom - one of my favourite sets that is perfect for beginners on new server or platform, with ridiculous requirement of 2 traits - which you can research in one day for weapon, armour & jewelry xd

So the real deal here are master writs. Mainly for exp and maybe some nice furniture (but making writs for anything else than jewelry or glyph is so annoying...).