Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

PS5 - setting up DualSense without using DualShock 4 + Back Button

OmenRIP
OmenRIP
✭✭✭
I’ve been playing ESO for a year with the PS4 DualShock + Back Button attachment. This combo made my rotation great, and contributed to my survivability. Unfortunately, with the new enhanced ESO for the PS5, i have to use the vanilla DualSense controller; I cannot use my PS4 controller.

This situation is greatly affecting my play style with quickly changing bars and using potions in combat. My hands are small, so I can’t do the “claw” to access the left directional pad. Consequently, I need to remove my left thumb from the movement joystick. That’s bad news for soloing bosses.

I tried the 3 layouts that are defined in ESO, and determined that the 3rd layout might work. I thought that Long-press of the 🔼 would be great for changing bars. However, using a synergy by pressing 🔼 and 🔵 causes the bars to mistakenly swap. Bad news too.

For the folks playing on the PS5 with the enhanced version, what is your DualSense button configuration? Maybe one of your suggestions might work for my gamestyle (constantly circling the boss, while alternating using front and backbar, along with the occasional potion. This sequence works great with the DualShock + the Back Button attachment).

The ultimate solution is to allow the DualShock 4 + Back Button to be used on the Enhanced ESO version. Barring that, adding to ESO a user-modified config file or a global PS5 accessibility change seems to be the only way.

I envy folks who can effectively use the standard controller config. But I can’t.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Edited by OmenRIP on July 20, 2021 11:23AM
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have small hands too and use the standard config. I just move my thumb from the joystick to tap left on the d pad
    Soupy twist
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    fizl101 wrote: »
    I have small hands too and use the standard config. I just move my thumb from the joystick to tap left on the d pad

Hi,

I understand exactly what you’re saying. But in soloing, especially bosses, moving around for MagSorcs are a necessity. So, a cardinal sin for me would be taking my thumb off the left analog stick to hit the left d-pad. This makes me stop completely in my tracks for a couple of seconds. It’s very bad for me as a solo MagSorc, and I’m sure it’s the same problem for other MagSorcs as well.

Thanks for your input.

• the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OmenRIP wrote: »

Hi,

I understand exactly what you’re saying. But in soloing, especially bosses, moving around for MagSorcs are a necessity. So, a cardinal sin for me would be taking my thumb off the left analog stick to hit the left d-pad. This makes me stop completely in my tracks for a couple of seconds. It’s very bad for me as a solo MagSorc, and I’m sure it’s the same problem for other MagSorcs as well.

Thanks for your input.

On PS4 without the back button attachment, I tend to move my right thumb to the left stick and then use my left thumb to hit the d pad. It's not ideal (because I can't aim, or even use, most abilities while doing it), but it's better than standing still while swapping bars (or drinking potions).

I imagine you could do something similar on PS5, unless Sony really screwed up the controller ergonomics (like by moving the left and right sticks too far apart).
    Edited by the1andonlyskwex on July 21, 2021 11:55PM
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

On PS4 without the back button attachment, I tend to move my right thumb to the left stick and then use my left thumb to hit the d pad. It's not ideal (because I can't aim, or even use, most abilities while doing it), but it's better than standing still while swapping bars (or drinking potions).

I imagine you could do something similar on PS5, unless Sony really screwed up the controller ergonomics (like by moving the left and right sticks too far apart).

I wish I could do what you do, or even use the “claw” on my left hand. Sadly, my hands are too small 😢

I did change the left D-pad to R3, and that seems to be the best for me right now. I miss using the other back button for potions.

Hopefully Sony will come out with a back button addon like for the DualShock. But I’m not holding my breath. We’ll probably see a PS5 specific controller from a 3rd party before Sony gets their act together.
  • the1andonlyskwex
    the1andonlyskwex
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Thanks for your input.

I wish I could do what you do, or even use the “claw” on my left hand. Sadly, my hands are too small 😢

I did change the left D-pad to R3, and that seems to be the best for me right now. I miss using the other back button for potions.

Hopefully Sony will come out with a back button addon like for the DualShock. But I’m not holding my breath. We’ll probably see a PS5 specific controller from a 3rd party before Sony gets their act together.

My hands aren't exactly large. I need to adjust my right hand grip quite a bit to make the reach (to the point where I'm basically holding the controller with just my left hand). I'm glad you found something that works for you though.
  • OmenRIP
    OmenRIP
    ✭✭✭
    I’m finally getting used to using R3 to change weapons. It seems the best way to go until Sony release some kind of backbar addon 🤔. I miss the on-the-fly potion management, but this new config will do. For now.
  • cynicalbutterfly
    cynicalbutterfly
    ✭✭✭✭

Same here. Standard config and use my left thumb to hit the potions. I do it so quick that my character only pauses for a second before resuming my movement. It's not all about setup tho. Takes practice to get used to something.