The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Real Gamemasters have Z icon next to their name...

• JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm almost certain they play their own game. but they probably just have regular characters that don't look any different from us.
    Options
  • wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    wild_kmacdb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe I recall seeing one during the beta or shortly after launch. I suspect there is little reason for them to take a physical form.
    Options
  • DarcyMardin
    DarcyMardin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My raid team was about to enter a raid in LOTRO when a GM turned up and wiped the entire group. We all got insta-rezzed with no death penalty, so it was all in good fun. We didn’t see GMs often in that game, but every now and then they were around. In ESO, I’ve never seen one.
    Options
  • DreamyLu
    DreamyLu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have never seen one in ESO. In GW2, it's regular (close to daily) and that in all types of activities, even in PvE explorable.
    I'm out of my mind, feel free to leave a message... PC/NA
    Options
  • dinokstrunz
    dinokstrunz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw a GM once in Daggerfall who waved at me after I waved at it. Was back in the very first few days of ESO launch when botters where everywhere.
    Options
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen GM at ESO.
    On Star Wars Galaxys, I've seen GM use Darth Vader to kill players.
    Options
  • Bekkael
    Bekkael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xbox here, been playing for 6 years and I've never seen one in ESO, or anyone that works for Zenimax. Scarce as unicorns, I imagine. It's sad so many game devs generally stay disconnected and aloof from their player base, but I think that's just a reflection of the world we live in now. Game companies didn't use to be that way...

Back in the day, (2009-2016) BioWare devs posted on their forums all the time, and community regulars knew them quite well. Many wonderful discussions took place on story and lore of their different games, as well as books, movies and games that inspired them. Game launch days were times of extreme excitement. Many of us were beta testers for all kinds of stuff they wanted opinions on. I personally got to be an early play-tester for SWTOR and also beta for the Dragon Age Keep before Dragon Age Inquisition released. I opened a twitter account just to chat with BioWare devs and voice actors who were very engaged with the fan community. Greg Ellis and Raphael Sbarge especially, just really lovely people, and Mark Meer and Jen Hale too, to a slightly lesser extent.

When Mass Effect 3 came out, devs had regular multiplayer events with the community and those were super fun times when there was so much dev and player interaction. Player and dev meet-ups happened regularly at Game-cons and other planned happenings. I don't know what all the reasons were, probably a lot due to trolls and toxicity, but EA decided to close the BioWare forums completely in 2016. There were a couple of BioWare fan-run forums that opened up after that, but the community felt fractured, many of us were heartbroken and ended up drifting away. It just wasn't the same anymore.

Bethesda also had a nice community and good forums for a while, but when things started changing there for the worse too, I stopped going. No idea if they still even have forums anymore. This is the only gaming forum I visit anymore, and not super often. Usually when some new content is announced and being discussed pre-release, or to see what's happening if servers are down or an event is going on.

This is a nice community though, on the whole, and I think ZOS has done a good job keeping things on track around here. I do miss the old days though, of Bungie's Halo series, Bethesda's Elder Scrolls, and BioWare's everything. But change is the only constant in life, and I guess gaming is no exception.

P.S. You kids get off my lawn! :lol:
    ~~ Lady Gamer ~~ ♥ ~~ Xbox NA ~~
    Options
  • agegarton
    agegarton
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have been playing since the beta. I have never seen a “gamemaster”, never heard of anyone having seen one, never even heard of any ZoS employee having been sighted. No rumours. No stories. Nothing.

I am pretty confident that no-one at ZoS actually plays their own game.

Which given the constant round of skill and set re-re-re-re-re-re-re-balancing, that makes sense.
    Options
  • Its_MySniff
    Its_MySniff
    ✭✭✭
    Sometimes, late at night, after a great session of helping and slaying, or just going at it in Cyro pvp for 12 hours I feel like a real game master. Not to be confused with that zos mythical creature. But a game master with a z Behind my name. It's ok to feel that way. We are all z minus game masters. We play this game, ZGMasters don't. Enjoy.
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    agegarton wrote: »
    I have been playing since the beta. I have never seen a “gamemaster”, never heard of anyone having seen one, never even heard of any ZoS employee having been sighted. No rumours. No stories. Nothing.

I am pretty confident that no-one at ZoS actually plays their own game.

Which given the constant round of skill and set re-re-re-re-re-re-re-balancing, that makes sense.

Options
  • SimonThesis
    SimonThesis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ive been playing for years and have never seen a GM, Dev, or anyone with a Z by their name playing on the live server.
    Options
  • Soriana
    Soriana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Way back in the day, 2014 I think, there was a super short quest in Riften that garnered a little over 300g, iirc. Bots would create accounts, run the quest, collect the gold, delete their chars, rinse and repeat. Was running by the quest turn in spot and noticed characters getting decimated by the pile! Ten or so would run up, start to interact with the NPC, and boom...dust on the floor. I asked in say if anyone else saw this happening to which a Gamemaster came out of invisibility, waved at me, went back to being invisible, and continued nuking bots!!

It was a beautiful thing to see!! LOL
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soriana wrote: »
    Way back in the day, 2014 I think, there was a super short quest in Riften that garnered a little over 300g, iirc. Bots would create accounts, run the quest, collect the gold, delete their chars, rinse and repeat. Was running by the quest turn in spot and noticed characters getting decimated by the pile! Ten or so would run up, start to interact with the NPC, and boom...dust on the floor. I asked in say if anyone else saw this happening to which a Gamemaster came out of invisibility, waved at me, went back to being invisible, and continued nuking bots!!

It was a beautiful thing to see!! LOL

Windhelm. There was another one of these in The Hollow City. This is why we have a 3 characters per day deletion limit, by the way.
    Options
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here since beta. Never seen one in game.
    Options
  • LadyLethalla
    LadyLethalla
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night I fast travelled to Rimmen Wayshrine, and before I moved I believe I spotted the tag "Invisible Gamemaster".
    I moved away from the WS and turned back to see if it was a legit GM and couldn't find the tag again. There were a lot of player characters coming and going, though... so idk if it was an actual GM or someone with that gamer tag... most likely the latter, obvs.
    x-TallyCat-x // PC EU DC - For the Covenant! // ESO Platinum trophy - 16th May 2017.
    Melbourne Australia - the land of Potato Internet.WTB ESO OCEANIC SERVER
    Options
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Last night I fast travelled to Rimmen Wayshrine, and before I moved I believe I spotted the tag "Invisible Gamemaster".
    I moved away from the WS and turned back to see if it was a legit GM and couldn't find the tag again. There were a lot of player characters coming and going, though... so idk if it was an actual GM or someone with that gamer tag... most likely the latter, obvs.

That reminds me, I have a weird story. Years ago, (probably 2015, just after the Imperial City dropped) a few months before the Helstrom Ancestor Lizard was added to the store as a pet, I remembered running across one in Wayrest. It was very clearly following a player, (you come to recognize how the non-combat pets move over time) but there was no one there. This was also after the code was revised so that players who hadn't loaded in would appear as black silhouettes rather than not rendering.

I don't know if that was a GM, but I'm not sure how else it could happen. Especially given this would have been in the window between when the pet was added to the game, but before it had been announced in the Crown Store.
    Options
  • MisterKarnos
    MisterKarnos
    ✭✭✭
    Well they DO exist... this is from recently some time this year
    vVgCnvB.png
    Options
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I saw a few during the launch bot apocalypse, i also remember zone wide announcements from some.

But that was before ZOS laid off most of their support/test/qa staff in the US. Never seen one since ...
    dry.gif

Options
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You’re more likely to run into Herobrine.
    Options
  • Monroe585
    Monroe585
    ✭✭✭
    In other mmo's yeah, but never in ESO. GM's should make regular appearances in the game. It makes players feel like they give a damn.
    Options
  • theyancey
    theyancey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Used to in beta. Helped to discern the real peeps from the scammers
    Options
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in a raid group with a GM at the end of a WoW beta for one of their earlier expansions, I think it was Wrath of the Lich King. Anyway, he was outside Orgrimmar summoning bosses for us to fight. Then someone suggested we go to Stormwind to kill the king and he joined our raid group went with us. It was really fun getting to interact with a GM that way.

I wish we could have contact like that with the GMs in ESO.
    PCNA
    Options
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect there is little reason for them to take a physical form.

Little reason? Reports aren't always helpful. A lot of the time you need to see for yourself what's happening in order to pass judgement. For example, someone sends in a screenshot of bots. How do you know they are botting and aren't just legitimate players farming a node?
    Options
  • zaria
    zaria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ApoAlaia wrote: »
    The only MMO I remember seeing - and interacting with - a GM is UO.

It's probably an indication of how far online games have evolved since those days; likely support can do almost everything they need to do now by interacting directly with the backend and database, without needing to actually use a client and enter the game world.

Given how ... vocal this community can be sometimes too, I'm also not surprised they don't want to make themselves more visible in-game. ;)
    This, now I imagine it can be useful to enter the world to see visual bugs or experience bugs who only show up live like quests bugging as too many do them from the players point of view.
    But this would be developers not game masters and I guess they use an standard or invisible character.

For fighting bots and exploits looking at the backend data is much more valuable.
    Grinding just make you go in circles.
    Asking ZoS for nerfs is as stupid as asking for close air support from the death star.
    Options
  • Toanis
    Toanis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Technically, there isn't much advantage to having actual GM-characters. The chat system might need a character to interact with players, but actual GM activities are better done on a backend level.

Appearing as an actual character in front of the player is a nice touch when the GM helps a player, but showing up with a flashy display of godlike powers to ban someone (or just to flex your GM state) is pure vanity.

This also leads to another problem with special GM characters: GMs are people too, it needs a bit of trust to pay someone to essentially play your MMO in god mode. In order to make sure the GMs (or someone who got their login) don't abuse their powers, they need to be monitored, so you end up with extra staff watching the watchmen.
    Edited by Toanis on August 1, 2021 8:37AM
    Options
  • Kikazaru
    Kikazaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    3PS6vcg.jpg

I once had a problem with a quest reward in Bangkorai so I contacted customer support in-game. A couple of minutes laterm I got a message from a GM and he sent me my Dwarven Spider. This happened in June 2014.

After that, I have never seen a GM since then.
    Mizaru

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    Options
  • Danikat
    Danikat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I suspect there is little reason for them to take a physical form.

Little reason? Reports aren't always helpful. A lot of the time you need to see for yourself what's happening in order to pass judgement. For example, someone sends in a screenshot of bots. How do you know they are botting and aren't just legitimate players farming a node?

You're right that they need to investigate reports, but there's more practical ways to do that than standing in the map watching (invisible or otherwise).

A few years ago I read an article about managing bots in MMOs (not about ESO specifically) which said one of the things they'll do is look at logs of the character's activity, checking not just the actions but the timings. Humans aren't good at perfect repetition so a player running a farming route or going through a rotation will do it differently each time, the path they run will vary, the timings between skills will be different. Whereas computers aren't good at randomisation so a bot will do things exactly the same way each time. Even when they program in 'mistakes' or variations it will be the same mistakes and the same variations each time.

Someone behind the scenes looking at logs like that can check hours of activity in far more detail than they could gauging it by eye in the map and in far less time.

Same with things like reports for verbal abuse in chat, by checking logs they can see what happened before the report rather than what players claim happened after a GM shows up.

It's like complaining that police don't spend enough time wandering around towns hoping someone is stupid enough to commit a crime right in front of them. It might be a good PR move to be seen out on the streets sometimes but it's not an effective enforcement strategy.
    PC EU player | She/her/hers | PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

"Remember in this game we call life that no one said it's fair"
    Options
  • Sarannah
    Sarannah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is they are playing, but we do not see the "Z" until they actually give someone a penalty/punishment(for which they will log in a GM character). Otherwise they would be constantly whispered/bothered by players, simply because they are a GM.
    Options