The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Medusa or Mother's Sorrow?

ACamaroGuy
ACamaroGuy
✭✭✭
I play High Elf MagPlar CP 1505, PvE. I play mostly solo. Having stated that, I use False Gods Devotion as my base armor set. I use the monster set Maw of the Infernal, one piece heavy and one piece light. What should I pair FGD with...Medusa or Mother's Sorrow for better DPS results? Thank you
For the Empire
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mother’s sorrow is better damage, but you have to get Minor Force from Channeled Acceleration or Trap beast. On short aoe fights were you can effectively Pre buff before the pull CA is very effective. On longer sustained fights, you run trap.

Medusa is a handy set, it buys you a bar slot, but it’s less over crit, which means less overall damage. You also really do not want more than 1-2 pieces of heavy armor (for max damage you want 7 light) which means you would either need get the staff or change out your monster set weights. The problem with front barring the set other than the grind to get the staff is that your minor force uptime is impacted every time you bar swap.

TLDR: For best DPS, mother sorrow is better. Medusa does give some utility, at the expense of complicating your setup from an armor weight and minor force uptime standpoint.

• waterfairy
    waterfairy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tenor_-_2021-07-31T175913.905.gif
  • Bigmatt2
    Bigmatt2
    ✭✭✭
    Vigarr wrote: »

That's what I was going to do now that I have the Medusa inferno staff.
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1. Diminishing returns.
    2. Lack of minor slayer.
    3. No set that works well frontbar only.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You lose minor slayer and will also likely have pretty low spell damage. It is totally viable but you will do more damage with MS and Siroria. Even in highly mobile fights, it’s hard to do much better unless you want to play the magic dump mini game associated with Bahseis.

Medusa and MS very well may be more damage than MS and FG. I really don’t know, but it’s not more damage than MS and siroria. CP changes have made FG a less desirable set than it used to be. You just don’t need the sustain it gives in a good group these days.

If you are just looking to equip one set and be done with, MS and Medusa is a fine combo, but it’s not max DPS if that really is your goal.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Mother’s sorrow is better damage, but you have to get Minor Force from Channeled Acceleration or Trap beast. On short aoe fights were you can effectively Pre buff before the pull CA is very effective. On longer sustained fights, you run trap.

Medusa is a handy set, it buys you a bar slot, but it’s less over crit, which means less overall damage. You also really do not want more than 1-2 pieces of heavy armor (for max damage you want 7 light) which means you would either need get the staff or change out your monster set weights. The problem with front barring the set other than the grind to get the staff is that your minor force uptime is impacted every time you bar swap.

TLDR: For best DPS, mother sorrow is better. Medusa does give some utility, at the expense of complicating your setup from an armor weight and minor force uptime standpoint.

Thank you.
    For the Empire
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

You lose minor slayer and will also likely have pretty low spell damage. It is totally viable but you will do more damage with MS and Siroria. Even in highly mobile fights, it’s hard to do much better unless you want to play the magic dump mini game associated with Bahseis.

Medusa and MS very well may be more damage than MS and FG. I really don’t know, but it’s not more damage than MS and siroria. CP changes have made FG a less desirable set than it used to be. You just don’t need the sustain it gives in a good group these days.

If you are just looking to equip one set and be done with, MS and Medusa is a fine combo, but it’s not max DPS if that really is your goal.

I have Siroria but it's difficult to stand still in that ring while playing solo. Does Siroria work with jabs?
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on July 31, 2021 10:37PM
    For the Empire
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on what you’re front barring (assuming vMA staff back bar). If you front bar False Gods (more damage, less sustain) then go with Sorrow, because Medusa would force you to wear 2pc heavy armor.

If you’re planning to front bar the crit set, because you need FGD on at all times, or decide to use Bahsei as your slayer set, then I’d recommend Medusa over Sorrow. It’s not that Medusa is particularly front-bar friendly, more that Medusa is a better set than Sorrow and you don’t need to worry about armor weight if you run the staff and 3 jewelry. A bar slot is almost always worth more than the extra line of Max Magicka from Sorrow, and both give the same 13% crit.
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭

I use both for solo play because I don't have any of the trial sets as a solo player. Consuming trap takes care of the sustain issues that FGD also solves. I'd say you can't really go wrong: wearing MS/Medusa, or one of those and FGD as long as you take the advice about minor force and armor weights that others have given. You could even wear Siroria and try to learn how to manage the ring for solo play. All of these sets will get your dps high enough for any dps checks as well as a spot on the weekly solo leaderboards, as long as you have a good handle on playing your class solo.
    PC NA
  • OneWingedAnge7
    OneWingedAnge7
    ✭✭✭
    Medusa actually has more crit than MS. 2863 vs 2842 and it saves you a skill. But you have to front bar and jewel it.

I use Medusa and sometimes throw MS on the body, sometimes throw Sirorias and sometimes throw Perfected Bahsei.

The OP stated they mostly play solo, in which case I'd imagine they aren't solo'ing vet dungeons on the regular, in which case the minor slayer bonus is likely to be negligible in this argument.

I would say you 'don't' need to use FG anymore due to the ease of sustain from the cp, but the movement speed is still lovely. But honestly if you already have a set of MS and are comfortable with it, just keep it. If you have Medusa and fancy a free skill slot then use that instead. There will be next to no difference in the long run and certainly not for solo/overland or arena style stuff.

Also if you wanted more damage you'd probably be better dropping the Maw and using a mythic or just 2 crit pieces, monster sets haven't really caught up to mythics imo and either using a Wild Hunt ring or Fete ring or something would probably help you more than anything. Or obviously Pale Order if you needed the heals in solo stuff :)
  • tonyblack
    tonyblack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    False god + medusa + slimeclaw (2 pieces or 1 piece + mystic) is bis for solo. Less skills to cast for passive buffs the better.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Medusa actually has more crit than MS. 2863 vs 2842 and it saves you a skill. But you have to front bar and jewel it.

I use Medusa and sometimes throw MS on the body, sometimes throw Sirorias and sometimes throw Perfected Bahsei.

The OP stated they mostly play solo, in which case I'd imagine they aren't solo'ing vet dungeons on the regular, in which case the minor slayer bonus is likely to be negligible in this argument.

I would say you 'don't' need to use FG anymore due to the ease of sustain from the cp, but the movement speed is still lovely. But honestly if you already have a set of MS and are comfortable with it, just keep it. If you have Medusa and fancy a free skill slot then use that instead. There will be next to no difference in the long run and certainly not for solo/overland or arena style stuff.

Also if you wanted more damage you'd probably be better dropping the Maw and using a mythic or just 2 crit pieces, monster sets haven't really caught up to mythics imo and either using a Wild Hunt ring or Fete ring or something would probably help you more than anything. Or obviously Pale Order if you needed the heals in solo stuff :)

Thank you
    For the Empire
  • JJOtterBear
    JJOtterBear
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm personally waiting for Thunder Caller so I can combine it with my Mother's Sorrow.
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    I'm personally waiting for Thunder Caller so I can combine it with my Mother's Sorrow.

I just looked the set up. It looks kinda fun to use but I doubt it'll be a serious set to use.
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on August 1, 2021 1:14AM
    For the Empire