The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

ESO killing my USB device connections.

Trinket61
Trinket61
✭✭
I have 2 USB devices plugged into my motherboard directly. Both manage the cooling systems of my GPU and CPU.
ESO is attempting to access? install? control? manage? these usb devices.
While playing the game i hear the windows sounds for uninstall and install in rapid succession over and over and over again until windows gives up and i get a on screen message that the device is not recognised.
I look at my system and find that the fans are no longer working and i am guessing the fluid pumps have stopped as well.
I have scanned the files for any USB viruses and the entire system for any malware and the system is clean.

I have to Hard reboot - turn off the system at the power switch to restore functionality.

It is only ESO that causes this.

Any help or advice would be muchly appreciated.
Edited by ZOS_Bill on July 20, 2021 9:28PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    While I do not really know what you are talking bout, external devices controlling the internal cooling of a PC, how do you know it is ESO doing this? My guess is ESO does not try to uninstall connected devices. I do not see why Zenimax would not program the game to cause devices to disconnect. Granted, there can be a conflict but that is different.

I do not think we have enough information to figure this out unless someone has a similar situation. I would suggest putting in a support ticket. They may be able to help you figure this out if the game is the culprit. I will cease there as I will let them handle the troubleshooting.
  • Trinket61
    Trinket61
    ✭✭
    I wish i could supply more information and i have described exactly they symptoms i am seeing.

I have been playing ESO since summerset and there has never been a problem.

This has only started since Blackwood and along with that has been an increasing incidence of game crashing the last few weeks.

I have checked for file integrity , viruses , system temps and stability. And ruled out out everything but ESO.

I am tempted to download the game again but i am loathe to do this at 1.3 mb/sec
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    It really sounds like you need to create a tech support ticket as I suggested in the other post. I would do that before downloading the game as there is likely something else going on.
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trinket61 wrote: »
    I have 2 USB devices plugged into my motherboard directly. Both manage the cooling systems of my GPU and CPU.
    ESO is attempting to access? install? control? manage? these usb devices.
    While playing the game i hear the windows sounds for uninstall and install in rapid succession over and over and over again until windows gives up and i get a on screen message that the device is not recognised.
    I look at my system and find that the fans are no longer working and i am guessing the fluid pumps have stopped as well.
    I have scanned the files for any USB viruses and the entire system for any malware and the system is clean.

I have to Hard reboot - turn off the system at the power switch to restore functionality.

It is only ESO that causes this.

Any help or advice would be muchly appreciated.

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. I never made the connection, was thinking it's my PC slowly getting titsup. Now that you mention it, I realized that I only have those "USB Device has malfunctioned" prompts pop up every few minutes while I play ESO.
    Amottica wrote: »
    I do not think we have enough information to figure this out unless someone has a similar situation.

I do. I was never able to figure out which device exactly has "malfunctioned", other than narrowing it down to one of the "HID" devices (in my case, Razer Chroma keyboard (takes up 2 USB connections), Logitech dual-PC bridge mouse (one USB) and a tablet display (2 USB). The devices themselves keep working, and the only common denominator I see is that each of them can be used as a kind-of "alternate input" device (so could be some anti-cheat/whatever). But @Trinket61 having the issue with the coolers kinda shoots that line of thought down.
    Edited by MreeBiPolar on July 15, 2021 8:13PM
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @Trinket61

If you've not done so yet, we recommend starting a ticket with customer support so they can look into what is causing these issues with your USB devices.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • MreeBiPolar
    MreeBiPolar
    ✭✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @Trinket61

If you've not done so yet, we recommend starting a ticket with customer support so they can look into what is causing these issues with your USB devices.

210715-004858 and so far, it was just the "unplug this, unplug that, run repair, run repair again, check w/o add-ons, check w/o add-ons again, and once more, send us Consultant and MSInfo reports, send them AGAIN, etc". NOT kidding.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @MreeBiPolar

Thank you for the ticket number. Please check your forum inbox for an update on the ticket.
    Staff Post
  • Ulfson
    Ulfson
    ✭✭✭
    Trinket61,
    Hi, Can I assume you are a Win10 user? I know it is irritating but try to keep an open mind it may not be and ESO problem. Be sure you have some thermal control software that will not let you fry your CPU. Typical CPU installs cannot fry theset days but liquid cooling suggests overclocking. It then is possible to fry the CPU. I would keep a temp monitor running. Have you been in other games for as long as you play ESO and not seen the cooling system devices toggle online/offline? Unfortunately, it is very hard to help with this. But there is a part of Win10 called the Event Log and there is a tool the Event Viewer that is not simple and almost needs a Computer Science degree to undersand. But it logs all the changes in the system. Like USB connections. I can't tell you in less than 10 hours how to use it but the Event Viewer could give you a hint as to what program (ESO or otherwise) that caused the disconnects. If you are computer savvy then look into how to use that tool. Google should give many links. You will need to learn how to create your own filters as the events that are logged in any second are huge.
    Happy Trails
  • Trinket61
    Trinket61
    ✭✭
    Thank you all for your input

I only really play one game - ESO , because it is my alt-life. I used to clock back in the day when software advances in graphics was outpacing hardware, but in today's world a basic system can run ESO really well. That said , i like having a top notch system ( been a geek since my amiga 500).
    The water cooling wasn't really necessary but it is all about the bling lol. The video displays on the cpu and gpu pumps really add to that.
    So now what pushes my "tim the toolman" is seeing the system idling on 24c and if i really push it i might even crack 45c.

Anyhow - for now i have a work around i don't use the motherboards internal USB connectors to power the fans and have them connected directly to a power cable. which means i have lost the option for variable speed control for now. The system is no longer whisper quiet but the increase in noise is acceptable.

I am guessing that ESO looks for usb input devices it can control ingame and it is mis-identifying the hardware. I will leave it for a few patches and see if that bug is gone.

Have fun yall :)
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Thanks for the update. With a resolution found for this issue, we will now close out this thread.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.