Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Imperial City is dead because there is no incentive

SkaraMinoc
SkaraMinoc
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
DAoC Darkness Falls was always populated because the rewards were some of the best gear in the game. There was always a sense of danger around every corner. The bosses were much more difficult but would give great rewards. The bosses in IC give very little reward and the final boss in the sewers does not give much at all.

Does ZOS want it to be dead because they can't sell DLC for it? This is not a good business practice and brings down the overall quality of the game. ZOS Leadership should strive for best-in-class quality for every aspect of the game. They are laser-focused on revenue generating verticals because that's what their data shows. It's massively shortsighted on their part.
PC NA
  • ToxicOutrage
    ToxicOutrage
    ✭✭✭
    Wrong. IC is so much more profitable than Cyro with the added bonus of not being laggy. The better you are, the more gold you will earn in IC. The only benefit of Cyro/BG in comparison is faster rank 50 grind
    Edited by ToxicOutrage on July 21, 2021 9:40AM
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Wrong. IC is so much more profitable than Cyro with the added bonus of not being laggy. The better you are, the more gold you will earn in IC. The only benefit of Cyro/BG in comparison is faster rank 50 grind

You mean due to Tel Var stones? Of which you lose 50% if you die (ie get ganked by a NB)?

I think Cyrodiil is more profitable because you can use AP to buy stuff and you dont lose it when you die.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Both are terrible ways to make gold compared to other methods (writs, farming, etc).
    PC NA
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No it really isn't. Like at all. Especially with the tel var death penalties. It is just a drag to try to save what tel var you can before getting ganked or camped, and the gold gain is near nil.
  • chuckythexii
    chuckythexii
    ✭✭

You mean due to Tel Var stones? Of which you lose 50% if you die (ie get ganked by a NB)?

I think Cyrodiil is more profitable because you can use AP to buy stuff and you dont lose it when you die.

Hey the NB doesn't see any problems with that set-up.
  • ToxicOutrage
    ToxicOutrage
    ✭✭✭

yes, that why I said the better you are the more gold you will earn which is the insentive aka the point of the thread. Or at least wait till next patch if you are a bad pvp player, with the insane mitigation, where even nb ganks will feel like a sneeze
  • fullheartcontainer
    fullheartcontainer
    ✭✭✭✭

yes, that why I said the better you are the more gold you will earn which is the insentive aka the point of the thread. Or at least wait till next patch if you are a bad pvp player, with the insane mitigation, where even nb ganks will feel like a sneeze

this isnt an incentive then. Actually it's the opposite: it deincentivizes the area to all but the absolute best players as you create an ever smaller population, driving away anyone who isnt a really good gankblade. No one new is ever going to enter the area and go "yes it's hard but if I keep working it'll be worth it" because every bit of progress they make is removed after getting ganked.
  • alberichtano
    alberichtano
    ✭✭✭✭✭

this isnt an incentive then. Actually it's the opposite: it deincentivizes the area to all but the absolute best players as you create an ever smaller population, driving away anyone who isnt a really good gankblade. No one new is ever going to enter the area and go "yes it's hard but if I keep working it'll be worth it" because every bit of progress they make is removed after getting ganked.

Agreed. That's the reason I don't go there. The tel vars aren't really good for much, and the risk of getting ganked every five steps is just too great. If I want frustration, I go to work, not to play computer games. :-/
  • Syrusthevirus187
    Syrusthevirus187
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yup. Get rid of losing stuff when you die. It's dumb.
  • geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's a good location to fight in, it's just hard to find even fights...there are times i'll play there in the districts without focusing on tel var gain or completing district daily quests, but - most often, as a solo player you end up running in to groups of at least 3 or more...

i enjoy the 1 v 1's where you have to navigate and deal with npcs while you're fighting another player...i'm probably one of the few players who does enjoy that though...

it would be really nice though if they opened up the alliance platforms spawn points again without needing to control a district flag...

if you wanted, you could just duel someone over and over again...or, small groups could gather and fight each other endlessly - just for the fun of fighting...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imperial City is dead to me due to a massive incentive provided toward ganking and bombing with zero risk. You have players farming Tel Var and other players farming the farmers, but without putting anything on the line themselves. Unless you're top tier elite, you will eventually just get run over by someone who is and since there is nobody else down there, they will just follow you around and kill you repeatedly until you leave.

Now if you like that sort of gameplay, this probably sounds fantastic. If you aren't interested in that, you're probably part of a large amount of players that stay away from IC unless there is an event.

Adding more incentive to IC doesn't make the gameplay any more interesting. It just adds a pile of players to the mix that don't actually want to be there for the content itself. They just want to get the rewards and get out asap.

If you want IC to be populated, the gameplay there needs to be compelling enough to keep people interested well after the promise of interesting rewards has drawn them in initially. For me, that's just not the case currently.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Imperial City is dead to me due to a massive incentive provided toward ganking and bombing with zero risk. You have players farming Tel Var and other players farming the farmers, but without putting anything on the line themselves.

Tel Var gain from killing other players should be capped at what you are currently holding.

• geonsocal
    geonsocal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Imperial City is dead to me due to a massive incentive provided toward ganking and bombing with zero risk. You have players farming Tel Var and other players farming the farmers, but without putting anything on the line themselves.

Tel Var gain from killing other players should be capped at what you are currently holding.

i actually like that idea, a lot...well done...
    PVP Campaigns Section: Playstation NA and EU (Gray Host) - This Must be the Place
  • jarlragnar
    jarlragnar
    ✭✭✭
    I'm mostly in IC everyday, either I am farming bosses on timers and making tel var or I'm just going around looking for a fight. Majority of the time its either a group of AD or DC that come along and scare everyone out. You just need to plan more and stay one step ahead of them, IC is very lucrative if you know what to buy and sell on the market
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    jarlragnar wrote: »
    I'm mostly in IC everyday, either I am farming bosses on timers and making tel var or I'm just going around looking for a fight. Majority of the time its either a group of AD or DC that come along and scare everyone out. You just need to plan more and stay one step ahead of them, IC is very lucrative if you know what to buy and sell on the market

I mean 5000 tel var stones for 1 hakeijo isn't exactly lucrative. It's not enough to make lots of players go to Imperial City when there are better ways to farm.
    PC NA
  • MrMazurski
    MrMazurski
    ✭✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    jarlragnar wrote: »

I mean 5000 tel var stones for 1 hakeijo isn't exactly lucrative. It's not enough to make lots of players go to Imperial City when there are better ways to farm.

Better way for hakeijo? isn't exactly lucrative? You really dont know what you talk

Leave IC alone, you don't fix some things by adding something there, if basic rights, the concept will be the same. IC is specific and it's okay. For me, the larger population in IC only interferes with farming.
    Edited by MrMazurski on July 25, 2021 9:37AM
    - Where "Update on Cyrodiil Performance & Upcoming AOE Tests"? I wish ZOS would stop kicking players' balls, especially those on Cyro
    - - PC-EU / Ravenwatch
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to revamp some of the older sets in there. The only one that I think is still good would be Powerful Assault. Every other set is just Powerful Ass.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IC would be good zone if you would get rid of every PvE content it has, then it would only draw PvP players only and would not be considered the most toxic zone in the game. Currently it is a mixed PvE & PvP in one tiny confined space that is pretty much a gank fest.

But even as a PvP zone IC, suffers from the same problem as BGs used to have (before ZOS introduced player rating & separate queues for solo player & groups) - solo / randoms vs groups vs pre-mades & ball groups.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on July 25, 2021 12:19PM
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1 hour of farming bosses solo I can pull in roughly 72k telvar, which is 14 hakeijo, flip that for 720k gold. Now can I always do that, nope, most the time it is too many friendly players farming bosses.
    That's some walking around money though and can pay for my armor weapon and jewelry upgrades. It is still my favorite way to gain gold in the game due to added danger.

Personally I would rather see the tel var system make it so you can only take from player enemy the current rank you are at.

Rank 1: 0 telvar
    Rank 2: 100 telvar
    Rank 3: 1,000 telvar
    Rank 4: 10,000 telvar

The other day while farming a pair of nightblades kept trying to gank me, I would kill them, they would go build up ults and would come back to try and kill me during the next boss fight.

I finished my lap but ended up jumping to another IC instance to do my farming, because it was annoying. The pair of nightblades had no skin in the game, and shouldn't get rewarded for not risking anything.
    Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • chuckythexii
    chuckythexii
    ✭✭

except its not, you only drop half the stones. And none of your other stuff is lost. If you want an example of PvP where you lose everything that would be EVE (even then you still keep your character though). Hell even Runescape only let you keep your three most valuable items.
  • SkaraMinoc
    SkaraMinoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Chrlynsch wrote: »
    1 hour of farming bosses solo I can pull in roughly 72k telvar, which is 14 hakeijo, flip that for 720k gold

How do you make so much tel var? Do you just run around with 10k tel var hoping nobody will kill you in a single global?

I killed someone and they dropped 5k tel var. Was that you? lmao
    PC NA
  • Chrlynsch
    Chrlynsch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    SkaraMinoc wrote: »
    Chrlynsch wrote: »
    1 hour of farming bosses solo I can pull in roughly 72k telvar, which is 14 hakeijo, flip that for 720k gold

How do you make so much tel var? Do you just run around with 10k tel var hoping nobody will kill you in a single global?

I killed someone and they dropped 5k tel var. Was that you? lmao

When you have control of all the flags in the up top districts you get close to a modifier of telvar gains, and carrying over 10k in stones grants you a 4x modifier. After I get to 10k stones I put on IP set to get me boosted stats to survive most burst even when soloing the district bosses (12k+ stones per boss when soloed).

Depending on how active the area is I might dump stones after 30k or so. Otherwise I will just finish a lap of district bosses then deposit the lot, an hour of farming is usually all I do if conditions are perfect.

Caius
    Pack Leader of Scourge Alliance- First Fang of Hircine, The Beast of Bruma
    PC NA
  • MipMip
    MipMip
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it surprising how many people assess the attractiveness of an in-game activity based on the rewards! For me the attractiveness of an activity depends on how enjoyable it is, and rewards are a side effect.
    PC EU ∙ PC NA

'My only complaint about ball groups is that there aren't enough of them. Moar Balls.'
    - Vilestride
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MipMip wrote: »
    I find it surprising how many people assess the attractiveness of an in-game activity based on the rewards! For me the attractiveness of an activity depends on how enjoyable it is, and rewards are a side effect.

You’ve hit on the problem with IC for me. I will do an enjoyable activity because it’s enjoyable. No reward needed. Most people will, for example - I promise it’s not RotW and BG junk mails that keep people to ESO pvp, they’re there because it’s fun.

But when an activity is not fun, the rewards need to be a good enough reason to go there.

IC is neither of those for me. I don’t enjoy it as zone. I understand the draw of pvpve, but this misses the mark for me. The mob density is too high, and the terrain is a boon only to gankers and people with speed/los builds. Both are my least fave type of people to fight. There’s no excitement in those encounters for me, only annoyance.

I would do it anyway if the rewards were worth it. Daily writs are a good example of this, not enjoyable, but worthwhile. For IC, I do a guild run once a week to stock up on siegemaster coffers, throw my telvar in the bank, and am happy to leave when we’re done.
    Edited by Reverb on August 1, 2021 2:14PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Mesite
    Mesite
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have loads of those tel var stones from daily rewards but I was never sure what to do with them. I don't like the dungeon that came with the DLC either.
  • TBois
    TBois
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go there like once a week and love it! I grab all the daily quests and go work on those while killing the bosses I see. If I lose some tel var, no worries, I can't lose my 6 merits from the dailies, but usually I do pretty good tel var wise. It's good money for not much time, especially not much time doing pvp things.
    Current Guilds: Fantasia
    Former Guilds: Decibel, Hagnado, Lemon Party

PC/NA
    T-Bois (Stam Sorc since 1.4) - AD
    An Unsettling Snowball (Templar) - AD
    Bosquecito (Stam Sorc) - DC
    Peti-T-Bois (Stamden) - AD

Youtube