The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Light Attack Weaving on Console

Destai
Destai
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
So I figured I'd ask, but I feel like I am doing something wrong. I can never get light attack weaving to work consistently on PlayStation. It feels like my skill queue clogs up and light attacks don't fire. How do you light attack weave on consoles? Am I doing something wrong, or is this just another example of bad performance?
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I weave in the cadence of a heart beat(skill>La, skill>La) and go faster until it hits the limit set by lag.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I weave in the cadence of a heart beat(skill>La, skill>La) and go faster until it hits the limit set by lag.

I feel like the lag is what's killing this mechanic. Do you through your spammables on the bumpers? I'm finding they trigger a little easier.
  • Everest_Lionheart
    Everest_Lionheart
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wire your console in. If you are playing over wifi you are setting yourself up for failure. I’m also a believer that wiring in you controller also makes a difference. I believe to make it work on PS you have to change the settings to use it wired and it doesn’t work on older generation controllers.
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Destai wrote: »
    So I figured I'd ask, but I feel like I am doing something wrong. I can never get light attack weaving to work consistently on PlayStation. It feels like my skill queue clogs up and light attacks don't fire. How do you light attack weave on consoles? Am I doing something wrong, or is this just another example of bad performance?

You're probably trying to go too fast. You have to do it very methodically. Like mentioned above: light attack, skill, half second pause, light attack, skill, half second pause. Give the skill time to breathe, so to speak If you try to just spam through it, your light attacks won't fire.

I always link this fellow's video when trying to teach people the timing of weaving on console. He uses a camera to physically show you when he's pressing the buttons. Skip to 14:55, I think it was.

https://youtu.be/DQiNDL9EeAE
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just spam the trigger while pressing the ability buttons. It won't be accurate, but at least something will get through between the trigger spam.
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to slow down.
    And even saying that, it still sometimes doesn't go off.
    I find wall of elements does this too. I can mash the button but it just fails to trigger.

I switched to PC and I can't begin to tell you what a difference it makes to actually be able to weave fast and consistently.
  • Syrpynt
    Syrpynt
    ✭✭✭
    Tip: Skills and attacks all happen when you release the button, not when you press the button.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is all fantastic input guys! Thanks, I'll give it a shot.
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel like the lag is what's killing this mechanic. Do you through your spammables on the bumpers? I'm finding they trigger a little easier.

I actually have my spammable on square, going from forefinger to middle(or just forefinger repeatedly) is too much for my nerve damage. Granted, Im only at 76k dps on my nord.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I actually have my spammable on square, going from forefinger to middle(or just forefinger repeatedly) is too much for my nerve damage. Granted, Im only at 76k dps on my nord.

I used to do that too. I feel I'm just having some bad input lag again. Hard to tell if it's my internet or the game, but I feel like it's probably a combination of the two.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You're probably trying to go too fast. You have to do it very methodically. Like mentioned above: light attack, skill, half second pause, light attack, skill, half second pause. Give the skill time to breathe, so to speak If you try to just spam through it, your light attacks won't fire.

I always link this fellow's video when trying to teach people the timing of weaving on console. He uses a camera to physically show you when he's pressing the buttons. Skip to 14:55, I think it was.

https://youtu.be/DQiNDL9EeAE

Wow, that's so much slower than I'm going! Once I'm done leveling all my skill lines, I'm going to sit down and try that on my toons.
  • Amerises
    Amerises
    ✭✭✭✭

The way you typed it might not be *how* you're doing it, but if it's like a heart beat, and you're using your skill first followed by a quick LA and a pause, that would be it too. Using the heartbeat rhythm, you want LA>Skill>Pause>LA>Skill>Pause>LA>Skill, that's way you don't queue over the LA with a skill if you went to fast.
  • exeeter702
    exeeter702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's not lag nor is it really that complicated. The issue is the game doesnt really show you the GCD on console.

Light attack weaving is just hitting a light attack right before using an ability per GCD. You are able to fire off a light attack .5 seconds before the GCD is up. All that really matters is you think if it more like you need to tap light attack shoulder button right before each ability press then just wait a half second and repeat.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    exeeter702 wrote: »
    It's not lag nor is it really that complicated. The issue is the game doesnt really show you the GCD on console.

Light attack weaving is just hitting a light attack right before using an ability per GCD. You are able to fire off a light attack .5 seconds before the GCD is up. All that really matters is you think if it more like you need to tap light attack shoulder button right before each ability press then just wait a half second and repeat.

I dunno, I think i am getting input lag. I've had light attacks fire after combat is done and my weapon is away. But generally, yes I agree, it's all about that GCD. Like on my DK, I've noticed when to fire the LA after each skill.
  • BXR_Lonestar
    BXR_Lonestar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

IMO Combat in general on console feels bad. From skills misfiring, weaving being inconsistent, bar-flipping being inconsistent, its just an exercise in futility IMO. Just one of the many reasons why I loathe ESO's "high pace, action style" combat system. By far and away my least favorite part of the game.

As to how i do it? Its hard to do it well consistently, but the important thing to remember is to not get in too much of a hurry, especially after you've laid down your aoes/dots and are working between weaving and hitting your spammable. The best way to practice it is on a dummy though I absolutely hate that. Its not a real combat situation where your trying to move and dodge or do mechanics while your fighting, and bosses in dungeons/trials may have triggered events that cause latency issues that prevent you from flawlessly executing, even if you can do it perfect on a dummy.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to ESO Fit Adventure!
    This game is a grip training.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hardwire your internet and assign a dedicated ISP to your PS4. Even then, there is going to be some lag. You need to pay attention to the animation of the skill. Some do not end when you feel they should, like jabs for templars.

Remember, you are cancelling the animation of the light attack, not the skill, so you have to wait for the skill to fire before light attacking then hitting the next skill. If you go too early, your light attack will not fire, or worse, your second skill might cancel your first skill. There are many videos out there to show what an animation cancelled light attack looks like.

I notice you are talking about DKs. For some reason, my Mag DK experiences the most lag and issues with skills not firing. Engulfing Flames and Flames of Oblivion are notorious for needing multiple button pushes to fire.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hardwire your internet and assign a dedicated ISP to your PS4. Even then, there is going to be some lag. You need to pay attention to the animation of the skill. Some do not end when you feel they should, like jabs for templars.

Remember, you are cancelling the animation of the light attack, not the skill, so you have to wait for the skill to fire before light attacking then hitting the next skill. If you go too early, your light attack will not fire, or worse, your second skill might cancel your first skill. There are many videos out there to show what an animation cancelled light attack looks like.

I notice you are talking about DKs. For some reason, my Mag DK experiences the most lag and issues with skills not firing. Engulfing Flames and Flames of Oblivion are notorious for needing multiple button pushes to fire.

Dude Engulfing Flames is the exact skill I'm having problems with.