The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Soloing Dungeons Normal Vs. II Vs Vet

Zama666
Zama666
✭✭✭✭
Hello,

Still trying to solo dungeons. I think companions made it easier, but not too easy.

Fungal Grotto I - I can get through this on on my own (without Companion)
Fungal Grotto II - nope (yet somehow I managed Elden Hollows II successfully, but with companion)
Fungal Grotto Vet - fuggitaboutit

Stamplar here. CP 1099

Running Sugar Skulls and Heavy Hundings, and Storm Fist

21k Magicka
32k Health
35K Stam

Skill wise, I yes, I could do some learning.
Fungal Grotto II - I find myself running out of resources (stam) against mobs, single bosses - not too bad, bosses that summon mobs - very bad.
Fungal Grotto Vet - fantasy where I watch others talk about it and have self esteem issues.

What did you switch up before soloing from I to II - or did you? Just skill?
Did you use a companion?

Tanks!

Z
  • Elendir2am
    Elendir2am
    ✭✭✭✭
    FG II has mechanics, where you need others to save you (Gamyne Bandu - Shadow Execution). I don’t know, how you could get around it in solo raid.
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    Elendir2am wrote: »
    FG II has mechanics, where you need others to save you (Gamyne Bandu - Shadow Execution). I don’t know, how you could get around it in solo raid.

Yes, I think I've heard of a way around with pets but have not verified this myself. I'd advise leaving FGII off your solo to-do list because the pin mechanic isn't solo friendly :(

vFGI is about being good in terms of damage, healing, and resource management (hmm, well that's all soloing, but perhaps more resource management here than in other cases). The Dreugh King's mechanics are pretty cut and dry once you know what to look out for and how to respond to them. Make sure you have enough stam or health to live through the HA and also obey the aoe. If you have more specific questions we can help.

As for your gear and skills, I could also offer some tips even though I'm not super familar with stamplar, but to save everyone a wall of text it might be best if you describe any patterns in your deaths and whether you're struggling to do damage because you're busy keeping yourself/companion alive. Also, if you do want to talk about gear/skills, what's your second set besides Hundings?
    PC NA
  • Oznog666
    Oznog666
    ✭✭✭
    Playing a stamplar myself I can give you at least one hint for stamina problems with mobs: Repentance (restoring aura morph) is giving you stamina for free - 3000 stamina for each corpse nearby. Thats a lot as long as you are dealing with bigger mob groups but it will not solve problems with only one boss. So I never have stamina problems with mobs but sometimes with dungeon bosses, especially when there's almost no time for heavy attacks.
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've found there were a few things that tripped me up when I started doing vet content solo (and a few that still get me). Keep in mind, I'm not a great player, so this is what works for those who struggle to walk and chew gum at the same time. In no particular order:

1) The current direction for combat seems to be to nerf old armor and weapons to sell the new stuff. Practically, that meas that older build videos and guides for solo content have often lost some of their staying power. Two years ago, a fairly good
    player could do 40+K DPS on a 3M dummy with a build that could tank the end bosses of most base game vet dungeons. I haven't found that to be true now. Try a build or idea on the PTS before you spend a whole lot of time or gold putting it together on live.

2) Although some of the well known streamers solo vet content on DPS builds, I can't match their skills - as soon as my ping goes north of 250, I struggle without more tank. Rather than looking at DPS builds, consider looking at vMA and vet Vateshran builds. If you can do the type of DPS that you see in those videos, most of what I'm writing will be irrelevant to you, just burn and ignore mechanics. If your build, as you will run it in the vet dungeon, can't kill the 6M dummy with at least 15K (and probably 20+) DPS don't even bother to try.

3) End boss CC is a big factor when soloing. You need to eat or avoid the CC intended for four players, all by yourself. Vet BC 2 still eludes me, because I spend so much time in the air (though I've heard of a way...). All that CC saps resources and kills your DPS. When I look at Bandits UI at the end of a difficult vet final boss fight, my DPS usually turns out to have been about 15 K for waaaaay too long.

4) Speaking of Bandits UI. If you are on PC get addons that warn of incoming one-shots and the like. There are several out there, Bandits is still my fav.

5) I prefer simple builds and rotations, because they free my attention so I can pick targets and safe places to stand. Again, ymmv. If you struggle with very high ping (400+), you want a build that does a lot of damage for you. I have literally walked away to answer the phone, gotten distracted, and come back 15 minutes later to find my armor killed the final boss in Arx, normal. I'm not sure if that's still possible with recent changes to proc sets.

6) Many dungeons that can be done solo are not worth doing solo twice.

7) There seems to be a Dev bias against solo builds. Mechanics that could be bypassed getting "fixed," armor that really only had value to soloists getting nerfed. I think that is why you don't see much specific advice on the forums anymore for getting around the tougher mechanics, or maybe after enough slaps in the face the soloists have gone elsewhere. Either way, good luck with your soloing!
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the addition of Pale Order, soloing Vet base game dungeons got incredibly easy. As long as there are no lock-down or pressure pad mechanics, it's completely doable. I've so far soloed every base game dungeon on Vet that didn't have a lockdown or pressure pad mechanic.

And it's doable on a normal DPS build set up too. I'm talking Mother's Sorrow + False God + Pale Order + 1 piece monster set. No changes for tankiness. Same bar set up and mag/health values I would take into a vet trial.

I've found Sithis to also be a fairly powerful set. But I haven't yet ventured out to do many solo dungeons with it yet. It did make vet Maelstrom super easy though.
  • Colecovision
    Colecovision
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I soloed FGII on normal on my stamblade. I died a bunch trying to guess where those chain holders would be. I tried different helmets and skill slots. Then I finally got it right. I don't remember the exact combo, but I think trap, caltrops and hail were in the winning combo. It also takes timing. You get used to when the shades are coming with all the dying involved in the adjustment process.

The next challenge in the dungeon was that one of the bosses kept resetting. It was a glitchtastic adventure. When I finally finished I was happy with both clearing the dungeon by myself and never going in there again. Still haven't cleared it on vet. Doubt I ever will.