The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Spell crit

AlphaCrucis
AlphaCrucis
✭✭✭
What’s the difference between “adds spell crit” and “increase your spell crit rating”?
Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
Brenton, Templar, Healer
Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
PS4, NA Server
Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans

Best Answers

• oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The phrasing used in Mother's Sorrow "X Spell Critical" is used to denote chunks of spell critical chance being added as set bonuses. This way applies broadly to sets, as you see it in both Mother's Sorrow and in the 3 and 4 piece bonuses of Treasure Hunter, as well as in other sets. The phrasing of the 5 piece bonus of Treasure Hunter is applied to named buffs, in this case Major Prophecy, which is also spell critical chance. There are other buffs, like Minor Prophecy or Major Courage etc, where the phasing would be similar.

While the phrasing doesn't alter the fact that both sets give you spell critical chance, the fact that Treasure Hunter's comes from a named buff is very important because you can only gain a named buff from one source. Major Prophecy is also provided by potion effects (would be called Essence of Spell Critical I believe, but it is more often seen baked into the triple effect of Essence of Spell Power potions), as well as skills like Inner Light and some class skills. Thus, because there are so many other sources of Major Prophecy, Treasure Hunter is hardly ever used. It's a waste of a set when slotting 1 skill or drinking a potion can provides the same buff, so people are better off with the bonus to crit provided by Mother's Sorrow or else some other set with its unique effect.
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ah yeah the critical chance is being talked about there. Wording can be a little fuzzy at times.

Typically look for the word 'damage'. If it doesn't have that, the game is probably talking about chance.

But I agree with @oterWitz. There are other ways to get Major Prophecy that people tend to use.
    PC NA
    Answer ✓
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What’s the difference between “adds spell crit” and “increase your spell crit rating”?

In what context do you see those phrases?
    PC NA
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the same stat. If you see a number that doesn’t make sense just divide by 219 to get the % crit chance.
  • AlphaCrucis
    AlphaCrucis
    ✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »

In what context do you see those phrases?

I mean in this context. What is the difference between these 2 sets, a lot of people run Mothers Sorrow but to me Treasure Hunter seems like the better set, it gives a high “crit” chance and an added 5 piece bonus in spell power. Hopefully this makes sense.

Treasure Hunter
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (4 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (5 items) Gain Major Prophecy at all times, increasing your Spell Critical rating by 2629.
    (5 items) Adds 171 Spell Damage

Mother’s Sorrow
    (2 items) Adds 1096 Max Magicka
    (3 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (4 items) Adds 833 Spell Critical
    (5 items) Adds 1937 Spell Critical

Australian, Aldmeri Dominion
    Altmer, Dragonknight (mag), Damage Dealer
    Brenton, Templar, Healer
    Bosmer, Nightblade (stam), Damage Dealer, PvP
    PS4, NA Server
    Guild Member Of: Brotherhood of Bogans
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only time Buffs of the same name stack is when one is Major and one is Minor.

Treasure Hunter is not a terrible set to use if you don't like using Potions or slotting a skill that gives you Major Prophecy.

It all comes down to how you like to use your character. Me, I hate quaffing potions all the time, but I don't mind having Inner Light slotted as it provides other benefits to my character. However, sometimes I don't want Inner Light, but I want the extra Crit.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• DTStormfox
    DTStormfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭

To my knowledge, there is no real difference. Both add to your "Spell critical" value, which is also called spell critical rating.

Spell critical rating is part of a formula to compute your spell critical chance.
    More info: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Online:Spell_Critical_(effect)
    Only responds to constructive replies/mentions

Immortal-Legends Guild Master
    Veteran PvP player