Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mount speed never stable.

BegginNerd
BegginNerd
Soul Shriven
Hey, so I've been thinking about this for a while and still don't know if its still just me. Often when I'm riding my mount, exploring. I feel like my speed is never the same (yes I know i go faster down hill) but its not that. My speed is at max, so that's not the problem. Don't know what this is, would like to see if anyone ells has sort of found this odd on your own.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    There's a certain amount of momentum your mount has to build up to get to full speed.

Uneven ground with little rocks and stuff, those little wooden bridges in swamps that are 'bumpy', and the mount losing contact with the ground for any amount of time can more or less reset your speed to where you're not at full movement.

Jumping usually slows you momentarily but you can resume your pre-jump speed when you land, assuming it's smooth ground. Falling for a while and bouncing might reset you.

To achieve consistent speed, go around small obstacles or things which might cause 'bumps' and don't jump or fall if you don't have to.

The fastest way to your destination isn't a straight line -- it's the smoothest road.
    Edited by Fennwitty on July 16, 2021 6:47PM
    PC NA
  • BegginNerd
    BegginNerd
    Soul Shriven
    Great description thanks a lot for this info. :)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I jump on to and off of all bridges.

I jump when ever i see rocks.

And, yes ride around obstacles.

And, as above, the longer road is usually faster that the cross country shortcut.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Fennwitty wrote: »
    To achieve consistent speed, go around small obstacles or things which might cause 'bumps' and don't jump or fall if you don't have to.

The fastest way to your destination isn't a straight line -- it's the smoothest road.

Yep, that's the trick. When you hit tiny bumps in the environment you will slow and hear "Hyaa!" from your rider who urges on your mount to gallop again.

Jumping or swerving generally is the fastest way.

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Its_MySniff
    Its_MySniff
    ✭✭✭
    I've been wondering why my maxed out mount was so slow, even with green tree slots. I looked in the assault line and saw I hadn't even bothered to enact the passives. For months now I've thought speed was nerfed. Back at top speed is great, but I've yet to shake that feeling of idiocy at overlooking those passives. Not to mention how bad the mount felt in Cyro. I almost jammed the l3 through the controller on numerous occasions. Talk about feeling mount speed was inconsistent. I hope you found a solution. Cheers.