The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

I've been doing it wrong. How do I correct?

tyrfing666
tyrfing666
Soul Shriven
Playing a Khajiti Nightblade (first and only character). Followed the "magicka nightblade" advisor for skills. However because my background is Skyrim etc. I've been using sword and shield with bow on the back bar. Currently at CP 700+, so the normal missions are easy, and I can even do world bosses with one or two others (can't solo though).

I can't seem to do anything harder than this though. My build seems about halfway between a tank and a dps, which is to say that if I tried to group I would most likely not be good at either.

So how do I fix this? Probably want to go DPS, since I don't think I want the responsibility of a tank. Which means destruction staff I guess (seems weird that an "assassin class" ends up using a staff...).

Any ideas on how to get my staff skills up and geared up properly?

Best Answers

• fiender66
    fiender66
    ✭✭✭✭
    IMHO sword and board is the first problem: it's a weapon with good defence but small damage. You being mag, shift to destro staff, or even to double dagger (it does not matter, as long as you use class skills, for crit is good, but heavy attack regen stamina not magicka). And you can be a very good assassin with a staff, there are many around :)

You do not give any detail on your CP allocation, nor on your armor, gems and traits and stone adopted. All these are relevant factors too.
    Answer ✓
  • Stovahkiin
    Stovahkiin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you want to be an assassin damage dealer, you can try using daggers on your main bar and a bow on your secondary bar.

If you do want to use a staff though, you could buy a basic one from a guild trader and do some Random Normal Dungeons to level up your weapon skill line. I wouldn’t worry about armor sets and CP allocation until you’ve decided what weapons you like and will stick with.
    Beware the battle cattle, but don't *fear* the battle cattle!
    Answer ✓
  • tyrfing666
    tyrfing666
    Soul Shriven
    Progress report: moved to destruction staff. Since I have been finding skyshards I had a lot of spare SP, which I have allocated. I have allocated skill points as per this https://alcasthq.com/eso-solo-magicka-nightblade-build-pve/.

So far it's working out OK. Went through the Nchuleftingth dungeon and was able to kill all the bosses except the "Renduril the Hammer/Friar Hadelar" duo, because they kept healing each other. I do have Mirri as a companion (using a bow so she's also a DPS type).

Not quite optimal on armor - I currently have the "beginning" gear as I haven't done anything that would allow me to get the more optimal gear. I also haven't changed my CP allocation yet, so I will have to look into that.

I also have to practice weaving and the new order of ability use. And look into food/drink - I've rarely used this in the past (crown meal when facing a world boss, crown potion when I'm about to die).

So lots of stuff to learn, but I think I'm on my way.
  • Woodenplank
    Woodenplank
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly, ESO does not quite endorse Hybrid classes like in Skyrim or previous TES titles. But, it being an MMO, I can understand why its designed in this manner.
    For group content you have a dedicated tank, which means the damage dealers don't have to worry about high health or defenses, and a dedicated healer, which means the damage dealers don't have to worry about self-healing. In short; damage dealers in PVE (Players vs. Environment) should be "glass-cannons", investing only in offensive stats and gear.

If you're gunning for the "assassin" archetype, and feel staves would be wierd, you might consider going Stamina DPS instead.
    Although Nightblades typically use Class skills for DPS. So stuff like Siphon Life (the long-distance blood sucking) or Assassins Blade (conjuring up a blade to stab someone at a distance) are definitely still very assassin-oriented, even if you're carrying around a staff. Nightblades *can* also dual-wield swords or daggers, and make use of the Concealed Weapon ability as a spamable for magicka DPS, but you're robbing yourself of the option to go ranged, and you'll be missing out on some Destruction staff abilities and passives.
    For Stamina DPS, you'd typically roll with Dual-wield frontbar + Bow on backbar. Nowadays a twohanded weapon can also replace the DW... You could even go DW+2H, and leave out the bow entirely.

If you're interested in more concrete builds, gear-recommendations and such, I'd gladly help out.

p.s.
    If you're looking to make use of hybrid builds; say sword/shield on one bar and an offensive choice like Dual-Wield, Staff, or a 2-handed weapon on the other bar, then PVP (players vs. players) actually offers a great deal of build variety - much more so than PVE.
    In PVP you are responsible for yourself; that means having the resistances to survive burst, it means having the healing to bounce yourself back up, it means having enough damage to take down other players too. It endorces Hybrid builds. In fact, a glass-cannon build in PVP is usually a terrible idea. (Although as it happens, Nightblades can get away with it, due to their Cloak mechanics. Likewise for Sorcerers with magic shields or teleportation).
    Although I know PVP is not for everyone, and can be rather overwhelming getting into.
    Edited by Woodenplank on July 6, 2021 4:23PM
    I think it is central to ESO's well-being to critique the developers when they change the game (or fail to change something).
    But the negativity can be exhausting, so I vow to post 50/50 negativity and appreciation.