The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

What advice would you give to people new to battlegrounds.

Starlight_Whisper
Starlight_Whisper
✭✭✭✭✭
- So they can enjoy experience?
  • ShawnLaRock
    ShawnLaRock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stick with your group. People often just keep feeding kills to other teams rushing back in solo, after re-spawning.

S.
  • Bigmatt2
    Bigmatt2
    ✭✭✭
    Stick with your group. People often just keep feeding kills to other teams rushing back in solo, after re-spawning.

S.

This is so true.

Another thing.....turn on your mic and talk to people. Communication can go along way in just helping make things competitive.
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bigmatt2 wrote: »

S.

This is so true.

Another thing.....turn on your mic and talk to people. Communication can go along way in just helping make things competitive.

Unfortunately PC doesn't have integrated voice chat. How does it work on console? Can you only talk with your own group?
  • xv1_me
    xv1_me
    ✭✭✭
    Don't play it. Its just filled with tank premade groups. Join cyrodil enjoy!
  • Viewsfrom6ix
    Viewsfrom6ix
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xv1_me wrote: »

Cryrodil is just a giant horse riding simulator. Join BG, enjoy!
  • SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't bother resurrecting other team members. They'll resurrect themselves.

• SydneyGrey
    SydneyGrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xv1_me wrote: »
    You can opt to do them solo now and be grouped with other solo players.
  • myskyrim26
    myskyrim26
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's my experience:

1. There are 2 otions to join random BGs: Random BG and SOLO Random BGs. Be sure to join SOLO, or you will face experienced teams.
    2. Deathmatch is the easiest for me to understand. I just kill enemy players as much as I can, and survive as much as I can.
    3. Relic BG is the hardest for me. I don't understand where to go with a relic, so I just stick to a teammate who carries a relic and try to defend him/her.
    4. Chaosball: if you really can run fast and make shields, take the ball. If not, defend your teammates/make havok to enemy players.
    5. Capture Flag: before it starts go to group chat and ask teammates to stick together.
    6. Never leave early. You'll get some reward, anyway. When you leave early, you get a penalty 9I'm not sure what penalty exactly - I never checked).
    7. I can't afford to craft a PVP gear, all impenetreble. But I use 1 set for good defence and a monster set for shields. Thus I'm able to survive longer. The longer I survive, the longer I'm useful for a team.
    8. Don't get frustrated. You are doing BGs for your specific purpose - just follow this purpose.
    9. The more you play BGs, the more you undrestand how to do it properly.
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't fret dying. You are going to die. You are going to die a lot. Eventually you will start dying less. With the less dying comes more killing.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • luen79rwb17_ESO
    luen79rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Work to get better at your own pace, don't feel rushed: get better gear, sets and builds that best fit your playstyle. Have fun and learn on the way.

Use builds online as a source of learning basics and mechanics but don't just copy them if they don't fit how you like to play or if you don't feel happy with them.

Very important: keep in mind there are balance issues and people that are very good at exploiting the game systems and it's flaws. That doesn't make you a bad player. That's something that you'll find in every other MMO as there's no such thing as perfect balance or perfect systems. Once you understand stuff you can actually provide feedback, ZOS might be slow but they do check on what players feel are the main pain points in balance overall.
    PC/DC/NAserver

V16 sorc - V16 temp - V16 dk - V1 nb - V1 temp - V1 dk
  • Soulshine
    Soulshine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So this is what I usually do as a support, but have found it works just as well in other roles:

1. Eat tri-stat food before you go in. (I saw two people a couple days ago in a BG with 17k health - yikes! I try to have at least 26k, better to have 29-32k)
    2. Wear at least a couple pieces of heavy armour for better resistances; this will help you survive longer
    3. bring immovable potions - lots of them
    3. always stick with your teammates, don't just leroy off alone.
    4. notice your teammates alliance rank (if you run LUI on PC for example you can see what pvp rank someone has); if you are in a group with low ranking players, be prepared to have more defensive abilities up for yourself. If there are more high ranks, stick to highest ranked player as often as you can.
    5. Use line of sight to get out of trouble if you are in it; turn a corner, use a column, MOVE! a lot.
    6. Accept death. It's ok to die in BGs this is how you learn.
    7. Pay attention to your death recap to see what the issues were and adjust.
    8. Have fun! you can learn a lot and have a good laugh. B)
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    SydneyGrey wrote: »
    Don't bother resurrecting other team members. They'll resurrect themselves.

I was wondering, don't bother with the necro rez ulti in a pug? Just play damaging/defensive in a dps-type build and double defensive on a support?
    PC NA
  • Spurius_Lucilius
    Spurius_Lucilius
    ✭✭✭
    Bring a proper PVP build and you will be fine.
    PC NA Casual/PVP
  • lillybit
    lillybit
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm new to it myself (and very bad!) but I'd say the biggest thing is to play the objective. So many people treat every game as if it was a deathmatch and it can ruin it a bit. I've been in a chaosball where my team were all stood at our base with the ball and hardly anyone else came near, and a domination where the other teams were just fighting around the centre flag and we just ran round the outside taking all the others. OK it's nice to get the easy wins sometimes, but it doesn't really feel like a win if nobody else is playing the same game!
    PS4 EU
  • LashanW
    LashanW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If on PC, enable mini-map at all times. (by default it might disappear during active combat, it can be changed in settings). It displays all BG objectives such as relic locations, bases, flags, chaos ball location etc.

Screenshot-20210525-223238.png

With a mini-map you can easily keep track of what's going on in your battleground.
    ---No longer active in ESO---
    Platform: PC-EU
    CP: 2500+
    Trial Achievements
    Godslayer, Gryphon Heart, Tick-Tock Tormentor, Immortal Redeemer, Dro-m'Athra Destroyer, vMoL no death

Arena Achievements
    vMA Flawless, vVH Spirit Slayer

DLC Dungeon Trifectas
    Scalecaller Peak, Fang Lair, Depths of Malatar, Icereach
  • Pauwer
    Pauwer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Play with one friend at least and talk to them while you play and stick together. This is a winning tip :) slot one heal that heals your buddy too and if you can use other defensive and offensive skills that also help your buddy, even better.
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    As one of the people benefitting from this thread, thanks for the advice everyone :)

I tried BGs for the first time today and ended up running three, stopping after I got a win for the achievement. I played a healer in 5H/2L armor with health somewhere around 26k, and during the first two matches I still died quite a lot. The first match was a chaosball, so everyone died a lot, and the second was a domination, but our team didn't play together well and I was rarely with more than one dps meaning the two of us would die due to pressure and people focusing the healer while the missing dps got picked apart separately.

What I learned from the BG that my team won was that sticking as a pod of four most of the time is really, really important. This might be facilitated better by saying something like "stay loosely stacked together please" or, if you are more experienced in BGs, offering to lead the charge for the pug team. The first two matches I just followed whoever was first off the block and sometimes the team would follow, but other times people would go off and do their own thing.

Still, I got a win and tried BGs, though they aren't really for me, but at least I am sure of that now. A bit later I went into Cyrodiil where I finished Wrath of Whitestrake (it seems bugged in BGs, rip) and got my laurel wreath, making my argonian healer necromancer, who was an unranked citizen until Saturday afternoon when she went into Cyrodiil simply to unlock her Warhorn, is now my first Star-Made Knight. I'm so proud and glad that I finally got to participate in this event, yet also so sorry for everyone who SHOULD BE a Star-Made Knight as well, but isn't due to the bugs plaguing the event achievements. Just try to remember that this event and title is about trying, learning, and overcoming as much as it is about PvP, and that's what matters.
    PC NA
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Communicate. Your team is going to have a bad time if they are all running around like chickens with their heads cut off. It won't just lead to pointless deaths, but it can lead to a really bad defeat. Here's an example that happened two days ago..

We were playing capture the relic, and for some reason my team had a gripe with the red team. They just kept fighting each other while green casually stole the relics and won a flawless victory. I was trying to tell my team what was going on but I was ignored.

As already mentioned, stick with your group. You're much sturdier with numbers than alone, especially if you're a beginner at BGs.

Mobility. I find speed really useful, because you can use it to escape when you find yourself in trouble, and if you get capture the relic (which happened several times in a row for me) you'll be well prepared! Snare removals are basically a must imho.

Most importantly, just have fun with it. Yeah losing sucks, and dying is bleh, but it's going to happen.. a lot. With the right mindset, Battlegrounds can be a lot of fun and it's a great way to improve your pvp skills in some nice small scale instanced combat.
  • Starlight_Whisper
    Starlight_Whisper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't go in with ,20k health after battespirit buff too.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You want:
    A self heal
    A cleanse
    A root or stun
    A big bursty skill
    An execute
    An escape skill

I'm a sorc, so I run:
    Dark Conversion/Critical Surge (healing)
    Purge (cleanses status effects)
    Defensive Rune (stuns when I'm attacked)
    Haunting Curse/Crystal Fragments (boom)
    Mage's Wrath (execute)
    Streak (escape)

When you get really good you learn how to use your burst skills in tandem with your execute for fast memeing of other players. Use your escape skill to reposition yourself. I streak THROUGH players so I end up behind them. It seems to disorient them.

Consider your gear. Build more defensively, and for a little more health. I wear Chudan and one piece of heavy Medusa. Consider a mythic, too. I alternate between Pale Order or Wild Hunt, depending on my needs.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't go in with ,20k health after battespirit buff too.

I run with 22k :P
  • REiiGN15
    REiiGN15
    ✭✭✭
    Know that it's not like Cyrodiil where you don't exactly know if someone is leading you to a zerg slaughter. Your team don't know anyone on the other team(hopefully) so stick with them, try to communicate through vchat, text chat or emotes. If you get split up, all of you should be getting closer to your base and regroup. FEW FEW FEW people can rock a 1vX. If you've died a few times within the first couple of min, then you ain't that.
  • Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some will shout down this advice, but use a well established build for your class to start. They are easy to find. As you get more experience, absolutely change it to make it your own. Favor Health, Defense and Regen over damage at the outset, wherever there is a trade off to be made. You first need to learn to not die every 10 seconds. The kills will come. Also make sure you are prepared with appropriate food and potions. You should be chugging potions on cooldown in BGs (the other guy is).

In line with potions, builds, make sure you have obvious buffs: Major Sorcery/Brutality, Major Intellect/Endurance, Major Resolve, perhaps Major Expedition (Damage, Regen, Armor, Speed).

Stick with your group. If you die and you can make it back to your group, go for it. If you die, and you know your group is about to wipe, wait for them to respawn and leave the base together.

Don't count on support. You need to be able to heal and defend yourself. A good way to regen stats is useful, although to be honest, you probably wont last long enough early on for that to be much of an issue.

Play BGs. This part is obvious, but the only way to get better at BGs is to play them. They are a very different animal the Cyro or IC. Not saying there aren't similarities, but they are different game types. Dont worry if you go 0 and 20 your first few matches. It will get easier.
  • Malpheus_Prime
    Malpheus_Prime
    ✭✭✭
    All of the others, but for me a focus on impenetrable gear and enough resistance to toe to toe most folks. You don't need as much damage as PvE, get what you can but cap that crit resistance and resistance in general first.