The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Help me decide, based on these criteria...

Floplag
Floplag
Soul Shriven
OK so ill be honest, i have a bit of an alt problem in these games, and its driving me nuts due to the options available in ESO so...
Based on the following, help me pick a main.

Ive gotten a lot of stuff to around lvl 20-ish, both stam and mag, and need to decide what to fully invest in to get to the max and chase CP etc...

Im not a fotm or "must play top dps" player, i prefer a more rounded role that can fill many options, have strong utility and group support flexibility. My preferred class type is ranged hybrid, meaning can dps and heal and stays mainly at ranged in a back line or support position while doing it. As a result ive focused on magplar and magden. RE those two it seems magplar is at its best in a much more mid to up close situation.

I like to round up masses and knock them down over single target styles, so those with better AoE make sense to me.

As for the PvE vs PvP argument, the answer is all of the above. It must be strong in dungeons, as well as PvP and Cyrodill in either dps or healing role.

Based on all of the above, magden has pulled ahead, but i wanted to make sure im not overlooking things that i wouldnt know at this point so... this post exists :).

Thanks in advance.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Some will disagree, but maybe this will help. Please read the following with the caveat "anything is fine grouping with your friends."

This game isn't really as overloaded with options at it first appears.

If you primarily solo with the character, do whatever you want. That's not a problem.

If you intend to go into PvP, you'll have to build specifically for it to an extent.

If you intend to go into end-game PvE, you'll have to build differently for it.

There's no one-size fits all build.

You can have a single character do everything but not at the same time. You'll need to change your equipment, your Champion Points, the skills you slot and possibly attributes when you transition between roles.

-On PC there are some nice addons that let you make these changes within minutes.-

In PvE you can be a healer and damage dealer hybrid -- as a healer. Healers still do appreciable group damage especially in 4-person content. But for end-game PvE you can't really be a damage dealer who brings a lot of group healing. A dedicated healer will do it better, and you damage will suffer somewhat.

If you try to split yourself 50/50 in PvE, you'll generally have a hard time.

PvP does tend to require much more self-sufficiency so hybridization is expected. As does solo adventuring. Roles still do matter, but somewhat less if you aren't with a dedicated group in Cyrodiil.

PC NA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I read your list correctly, you want a hybrid DD that can kill in PVE and PVP, be effective in solo and group DD PVE, heal in group PVE, and (maybe) has pull or a taunt like a tank. If this is so, what you want does not exist.

I think a solo-PVE style DD magden with tank-like abilities might be close to what you are looking for. Tanks are hybrid builds and the netch helps level out the stamina side of the build. Gripping Shards and Polar Wind are strong for group CC, solo healing and damage. Some warden tanks like to keep Enchanted Forest as a secondary ultimate for healing the group in a boss fight. You can leave a taunt off if you want, but you won't be able to group targets as easy. You could spec the CP out as the solo-PVE DD if you want more damage. Or spec it out as a tank and keep a set like IA weapons and jewelry to put on for overland play. Or spec as a healer, but use a damage-heavy second set. I don't heal, so I can't really help you out on that side of it, but I have seen many effective PVE dungeon healers that can pump out decent damage while supporting the group

As for jumping over to PVP, it is an entirely different build. Armor, CP, and most skills. Definitely have Sub Assault and Cutting Dive. But, as a primarily PVE DD and Tank, I can tell you with 100% certainty that PVP DD builds are complete trash in PVE group content like vet DLC dungeons or trials. If you like angering tanks, being carried by actual DDs, and getting kicked from dungeon groups, run a PVP build.

The hard part for me to figure out is your desire to be ranged but group up targets to CC and AOE kill. The former is kind of healer-ish but the latter is tank style.
    Edited by El_Borracho on June 28, 2021 6:46PM
  • Jaimeh
    Jaimeh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With those criteria magcro could work as well: nice overall dmg with good aoe, can provide heal or support utility as well.
  • Floplag
    Floplag
    Soul Shriven
    To be clear, I didnt mean at the same time, that doenst exist anywhere, i meant capable of it with changes and tweaks.
    I understand the gear changes and skills required in concept.

I guess the crux of the question is based on all that, what class is most capable of doing all of the above at a competitive level assuming various sets and setups based on my preferred style?

Based on my research and reading to date im leaning magden, but you never know what you dont know so i thought i would check for understanding.

Thank s again for the replies.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Putting it as, 'what classes currently have the most balanced skills for a variety of playstyles' I'd say Warden, Necromancer, or Sorcerer.
    PC NA
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Floplag wrote: »
    To be clear, I didnt mean at the same time, that doenst exist anywhere, i meant capable of it with changes and tweaks.
    I understand the gear changes and skills required in concept.

I guess the crux of the question is based on all that, what class is most capable of doing all of the above at a competitive level assuming various sets and setups based on my preferred style?

Based on my research and reading to date im leaning magden, but you never know what you dont know so i thought i would check for understanding.

Thank s again for the replies.

That makes more sense. I would definitely go with magden if you are looking to heal in PVE as part of your plan. I like warden healers in PVE for group content. Very reliable.

If you weren't looking to heal but like CC's, AOE damage, and the option for ranged and melee attack styles in both PVE and PVP, I would also take a strong look at a Mag DK.
  • Zodiarkslayer
    Zodiarkslayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would recommend either Nightblade or Sorcerer, if you wish to be decent/acceptable at everything.

Wardens and Necros require actual player skill to be good. As a starter and, if I understand you correctly, a more casual leaning player your learning curve will be harsh as a warden.You should acknowledge that.

Wardens are not such a great DPS option as Nightblades or Sorcs. While also being a rather specific healer type. The buff Bot, to be blunt. They are staple PvP options though. Maybe even the best.
    And learning Necro takes time and skill, but even if you succeed, you might still abhor the optics and the corpse juggling.

Templar and DK are only shadows of their former glory.
    read, think and write.In that order.