The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Pyrelord's Pyre Mechanics

oterWitz
oterWitz
✭✭✭✭
First off, I know how to complete this round of Vateshran Hollows and can clear it no problem. Rather, I have a mechanics question as I work on shaving time off my runs and getting no death more consistently.

My overall question is can the mechanic where the Pyrelord becomes briefly invincible and ignites his sword be delayed? I know that it happens when three pyres are lit, but extinguishing a pyre or two doesn't seem to prevent this mechanic from playing just the same as if I hadn't extinguished them. I could be mistaken, but this seems to be happening consistently for me, so I'm wondering if I have to extinguish them all by the time it would play, or perhaps there is a timed mechanic hidden somewhere in there (ie every 30 seconds he lights a pyre and at 1:45 he does the invincibility mechanic).

I have a feeling the answer to this will be increase dps to skip the sword igniting mechanic, but I'm hoping someone can enlighten me as to how it's actually supposed to work and whether it is avoidable like I'm hoping (after all, what are the pyres for then besides the achievement?). I've looked through all the forum posts on this fight and in online guides and Youtube videos and none do a satisfactory job actually explaining these mechanics.
PC NA
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    As a note, I've tried to figure this out but decided to abandon it for the standard high dps/hps method when I learned:
    1) A pyre spawning on the opposite side of a brimstone orb has a very tight window to get there before the buff wears off, and the time you spend running around is better spent killing the boss.
    2) Whether through a visual bug or my view distance being set to 50 instead of max, I can't reliably see pyres that spawn on the opposite side of the arena from the brimstone orb, making it more difficult to play to the mechanic.

I'm not a fan of a boss where the standard method of killing is to ignore mechanics to a such an extent that I'm actually ignorant of them, but that's what seems best here. If anyone wants to respond or necro this thread in the future to answer my question, by all means, but for now I'm settling on this remaining unanswered.
    PC NA