The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Choosing Random Dyes at Outfit Station Unsheaths my Weapons

SilverBride
SilverBride
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Every time I choose Random Dyes at the Outfit Station it unsheaths my weapons and has me standing as though I am in combat. It does the same thing when I have the guild trader window open and return after checking something online. I've checked all the controls and can't find what may be doing it. Any ideas?
PCNA
  • tomofhyrule
    tomofhyrule
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Does it also apply dyes to your weapons?

Changing anything with the weapons will cause your character to unsheathe them, but you can have them put them back by pressing the 'sheathe/unsheathe' key, which I think is Z by default (I changed mine, but I think that's the default). It shouldn't be mapped to anything else on the outfit screen though, so it'll just have you put everything away.

It does make it irritating if you've got enchantments on the weapons and are trying to dye them, since every time you have to put them back to see how the blades look, but that's just how it works.
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't remember it doing this before. And what about returning to the game after checking something online? This makes me think something is weird with my bindings.
    PCNA
  • oterWitz
    oterWitz
    ✭✭✭✭
    The guild trader thing is probably people spamming healing/buff/etc abilities in cities, it unsheathes your weapons no matter what you're doing afaik. And the dyes thing above is correct, perhaps you had an undyeable weapon before and recently switched?
    PC NA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next time I am at the guild trader I'll pay attention to that and see if that could have something to do with it.

As far as my weapons they are the same ones I've had for a long time.
    Edited by SilverBride on June 30, 2021 5:06AM
    PCNA
  • LoneStar2911
    LoneStar2911
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It always unsheathes my weapons. Since I’m on PC, i just press Z to sheathe them again. (Z may not have been the default keybind. Idk.) it’s annoying, but while using the dye station, you’re probably not using your left hand for anything else. :#o:)
    So just hit Z when you need to. Gets rid of the ugly glow on your weapons so you can actually see the dye, too.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sucks when you just want to dye your weapon... and suddenly they unsheathe it. Well, because the glyph animation starts showing, you can't really see what COLOR you're dying while it's unsheathed. Just a dump thing that ZOS should fix. Let US decide when to sheath/unsheathe while at an outfit station.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Alurria
    Alurria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Many times this is a result of people casting abities or triggering proc sets to go off too close to the dye stations I see this a lot in Elden Root. I have experienced this a lot there.
    Edited by Alurria on June 30, 2021 12:32PM
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also wish they would stop the reset of your characters rotation when you try a different weapon.

If I am looking at a bunch of staves or 2H weapons having my character reset to camera facing position while the weapons are on their back is pretty useless.
  • Fennwitty
    Fennwitty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Completely alone, I've found I can change a shield dye a couple times and I won't draw it. But eventually any change to the shield dye makes me draw it forever after. Unless I leave the station and come back.

I noticed when changing around the colors on the Stonekeeper shield while it's not glowing.

Either it's specific colors that behave differently, or some kind of lag or delay that allowed the first few color changes not to 'register' and force me to draw it.

Edited by Fennwitty on June 30, 2021 3:54PM
    PC NA
  • SilverBride
    SilverBride
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It doesn't do it if I am just changing the dyes individually. It only does it if I choose the "random dyes" option.
    PCNA
  • Slyclone
    Slyclone
    ✭✭✭✭
    That came with update 30. The character's rotation gets reset when previewing any Outfit piece.

[snip]
    [edited for trolling]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on August 27, 2023 4:52PM
    That's it, that's all.