The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Crafting

iggysword
iggysword
I'm new to the game and trying to figure things out. I'm only at level 11 and would like to play a little longer before subbing. My question is- is crafting worth it now or can I start at a higher level when I have the crafting bag? Will I be able to get the crafting materials to start if I am say around level 15 or 20? I was thinking of just selling what I loot now to have inventory space for gear. I should mention that I have no plans on an alt right now to gather materials. Thanks
Edited by iggysword on June 27, 2021 9:51PM

Best Answers

• Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's not a question that has a straightforward answer. The core of crafting is still based on how the game was in 2014, but things have changed tremendously since then, and the role for crafting has evolved to something different.

In a nutshell, crafting is definitely worth it, but not for crafting itself. Back in launch days era, ZOS kept saying that the best gear would always be crafted, but that hasn't been true for years now. There are still some crafted item sets that people use, but most run non-crafted gear. The most useful bit of crating commonly used, are leveling gear. But to do those you need to have a leveled crafter. So usually people join a guild and ask a resident master crafter to do a levering set for them. Once you have your own crafter set up you might do leveling gear foe any possible alts, but at that point the whole question is moot.

The main reason why crating is useful, is that it is the easiest and fastest way to make significant amount of gold in end game. This is due to crafting writs, the daily crafting quests. You can make 5k in gold and another 5k in materials per level 50 character that does max level crafting writs. And that's the baseline, sometimes you get lucky and get more valuable rewards and can make lot more per character. That is essentially the main advantage of crafting. But... Is it worth all the hassle? That depends on how much you are going to invest time into playing the game each day, and what is your actual goal with the game.

If you are here to just do the quests, see the sights and play couple of times a week for few hours per session, then crafting might not really be worth the hassle. If you are going to be playing daily, and are interested in getting into housing, then crafting is well worth the trouble to set up.

At the start of the game though, when you only have one character and don't know how any of this works (and are not sure how much time and energy you are willing to invest in the game), my advice is to not worry about it. Leveling crafting skills is tremendously faster when you've reached endgame (have at least one character at cp160.) Besides, while you are leveling, you have have little need to do any crafting for personal reasons. You can use food and potions you get as daily rewards, so no need to craft them. Any piece of gear you might craft while leveling is gonna get obsolete soon enough, and you will do just fine with found items. Or if you aim to power level, join a guild and get a leveling gear crafted for you.

You don't really need the crafting bag, unless you are a habitual hoarder. Most of the mats you will find while leveling will be worthless by the time you are fully leveled. The only things that are always worth picking up are certain alchemical reagents. Namira's Rot, Blessed Thistle, Columbine and some others. Those I recommend you do pick up and place in your bank to wait for the time you will be ready to use them. The rest you can safely ignore while leveling.

Once you get to level 50 and start gaining CP you are much better informed on whether you want to bother with crafting or not. It really does depend a lot on how often you are going to play, and how many alts you are going to set up, and what your actual goals in the game are.

The one thing though, that I strongly recommend that you start as soon as possible, is researching item traits. Learning all 9 traits for all items takes half a year, and that is true only if you do it in an optimized manner. The other option is to buy research scrolls but those are expensive. You do get some as daily rewards so those help, but even so, getting to 9 traits is gonna take time. If you do decide later that you actually want to get on with crafting, then it pays to have researched those traits in advance.
    Answer ✓
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    iggysword wrote: »
    Thanks for the helpful information. So it is possible to get low level crafting mats at character level 50 is that right?

The crafting mats you pick up from nodes are 50% base off your character level/CP and 50% from your crafting skill i.e. how many skill points you have in the first skill for that craft.

You can also get crafting mats from doing daily Craft Writs. Those will reward mats at and below the level of the writ you are doing, again based off your crafting skill points.
    Answer ✓
  • iggysword
    iggysword
    Thanks for the helpful information. So it is possible to get low level crafting mats at character level 50 is that right?
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    One thing I forgot to mention, is that you don't really level crafting in this game by crafting, You level it by deconstructing items. That's the key reason why leveling crafting becomes so much easier once you reach CP levels. You wont really need lover tier mats all that much, except if you choose to do crafting daily writs before maxing your skill level. Those quest will assign you to craft whatever tier material you are currently able to do.

So if you are currently only able to use say Iron Ingots - i.e. you have not assigned any skill points to unlock higher tier materials, your craft quest will ask you to craft iron items. The gold reward for the quest, however, depend on your level. So a level 50 character will still get level 50 quest reward gold, even if they are doing a writ calling for Iron tier items. Which is like level 1 tier item.

Back when I was still leveling my alts, I didn't bother to assign skill points to unlock whatever tier material their skill allowed them to use. When you are still leveling a character, skill points are few and too precious to waste on that sort of thing. Eventually, as I got them all up to speed, I unlocked the max tier materials. Often going from tier one materials straight to the max tier stuff. The bonus rewards, aside from the gold, do depend on what tier material the writ was for. So you get more valuable crap to sell with better tier writs. But the base gold reward is tied to your character level, not your skill level. Hope that makes sense.

Back in 2014 we still crafted stuff to level our crafting skills, but these days intricate items are too plentiful to really bother with it. A level 10 character with a crafting skill of say 5, can happily deconstruct CP160 items for ridiculous amounts of crafting experience, compared to what level appropriate items provide. You wont be "skilled" enough to extract any materials for deconning such items, but it really isn't a big deal. You get so much more XP from CP160 items that deconning them is really a no brainer.

And as an added benefit, you don't have to worry about all those multitude of material tiers between the top and bottom. ZOS really should weed them out, they are part of the original (now redundant) crafting economy from 2014. All those weird and wonderful materials, like Galatite Ingots, Topgrain Hide, Sanded Hickory, and several dozen more don't really have a use anymore, and just take up space and make the system more complicated and confusing than it really needs to be. Once they had a use and meaning, but that was years ago.

But as Varanis said, you will still be able to get the other tier materials if you really need them, since 50% of the stuff you harvest will be based on your level, and the other 50% on your skill. Also writ rewards will always include random materials from all tiers, regardless of your character level or skill level. I routinely just vendor them. since they aren't really even worth the bother to try and sell in a guildstore.
    Edited by Hymzir on June 28, 2021 12:33AM
  • iggysword
    iggysword
    Thank you Hymzir and Varanis appreciate the info.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Wish someone would fork over high level gear to me....

Been at it 12 days, breaking every poopoo item I've picked up...

All my crafting is less than level 5...

And only 4 items between all weights have DIVINE...

And just TODAY, I finally got a PRECISE for my daggers to learn....

It's STILL slow going when you're all alone, and getting no assistance....
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hymzir wrote: »
    That's not a question that has a straightforward answer. The core of crafting is still based on how the game was in 2014, but things have changed tremendously since then, and the role for crafting has evolved to something different.

In a nutshell, crafting is definitely worth it, but not for crafting itself. Back in launch days era, ZOS kept saying that the best gear would always be crafted, but that hasn't been true for years now. There are still some crafted item sets that people use, but most run non-crafted gear. The most useful bit of crating commonly used, are leveling gear. But to do those you need to have a leveled crafter. So usually people join a guild and ask a resident master crafter to do a levering set for them. Once you have your own crafter set up you might do leveling gear foe any possible alts, but at that point the whole question is moot.

The main reason why crating is useful, is that it is the easiest and fastest way to make significant amount of gold in end game. This is due to crafting writs, the daily crafting quests. You can make 5k in gold and another 5k in materials per level 50 character that does max level crafting writs. And that's the baseline, sometimes you get lucky and get more valuable rewards and can make lot more per character. That is essentially the main advantage of crafting. But... Is it worth all the hassle? That depends on how much you are going to invest time into playing the game each day, and what is your actual goal with the game.

If you are here to just do the quests, see the sights and play couple of times a week for few hours per session, then crafting might not really be worth the hassle. If you are going to be playing daily, and are interested in getting into housing, then crafting is well worth the trouble to set up.

At the start of the game though, when you only have one character and don't know how any of this works (and are not sure how much time and energy you are willing to invest in the game), my advice is to not worry about it. Leveling crafting skills is tremendously faster when you've reached endgame (have at least one character at cp160.) Besides, while you are leveling, you have have little need to do any crafting for personal reasons. You can use food and potions you get as daily rewards, so no need to craft them. Any piece of gear you might craft while leveling is gonna get obsolete soon enough, and you will do just fine with found items. Or if you aim to power level, join a guild and get a leveling gear crafted for you.

You don't really need the crafting bag, unless you are a habitual hoarder. Most of the mats you will find while leveling will be worthless by the time you are fully leveled. The only things that are always worth picking up are certain alchemical reagents. Namira's Rot, Blessed Thistle, Columbine and some others. Those I recommend you do pick up and place in your bank to wait for the time you will be ready to use them. The rest you can safely ignore while leveling.

Once you get to level 50 and start gaining CP you are much better informed on whether you want to bother with crafting or not. It really does depend a lot on how often you are going to play, and how many alts you are going to set up, and what your actual goals in the game are.

The one thing though, that I strongly recommend that you start as soon as possible, is researching item traits. Learning all 9 traits for all items takes half a year, and that is true only if you do it in an optimized manner. The other option is to buy research scrolls but those are expensive. You do get some as daily rewards so those help, but even so, getting to 9 traits is gonna take time. If you do decide later that you actually want to get on with crafting, then it pays to have researched those traits in advance.

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. There are many crafted sets that are heavily used end game. If you want to run harder trials or chase leaderboards then sure you need to push gear to the most optimal set. But you can complete every lick of content in this game with crafted gear and its still a very relevant option for end game play. It is also great for a beginning set of gear once you hit cp160.

The use of training trait gear is also overstated. Only trial players, pvpers, and scorechasers care about running optimal training gear and they know how to play. Training gear is actually a terrible choice for new players, imo. Its fine if you have 1k CP and a couple of years plus of experience to back you up but going training compared to other gear, actually gimps your ability to deal/survive damage as a tradeoff for leveling faster.

Most people don't care about speed leveling because being some high cp level isn't necessary for >95% of ESO's content. Id ditch the training gear and focus on sets that help me do damage or survive fights. Actually id find me a good dungeon set for my character and queue for that dungeon over and over while i run quests/whatever. That will be more useful to a newbie than training trait gear.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    ThorianB wrote: »
    Hymzir wrote: »

I strongly disagree with the bolded part. There are many crafted sets that are heavily used end game. If you want to run harder trials or chase leaderboards then sure you need to push gear to the most optimal set. But you can complete every lick of content in this game with crafted gear and its still a very relevant option for end game play. It is also great for a beginning set of gear once you hit cp160.

The use of training trait gear is also overstated. Only trial players, pvpers, and scorechasers care about running optimal training gear and they know how to play. Training gear is actually a terrible choice for new players, imo. Its fine if you have 1k CP and a couple of years plus of experience to back you up but going training compared to other gear, actually gimps your ability to deal/survive damage as a tradeoff for leveling faster.

Most people don't care about speed leveling because being some high cp level isn't necessary for >95% of ESO's content. Id ditch the training gear and focus on sets that help me do damage or survive fights. Actually id find me a good dungeon set for my character and queue for that dungeon over and over while i run quests/whatever. That will be more useful to a newbie than training trait gear.

I'm a casual, on a limited timer for playing...TV is a shared TV in our house. Wife wants it, she gets it, and when she don't, I get no complaints while I play. That's our deal....rofl!

Cool and all, but NOT all of us have time to sit waiting on dungeons, nor do we really want to do them...

Spend my 3rd day in game, waiting over 40 minutes for the VERY 1st Undaunted, required quest line dungeon....

Just to be kicked 3 times before someone finally allowed me in party to run it...(ended up finishing just before my "session ended)

Then they just "speed" run it so I learned poo....

Just chased them to the end clicking fast to get drops...

I'd love to have "sets" that give bonus & training....

But limited play time, guild that don't use chat....makes it rough....

Have to spend time typing every line in game, awaiting a response....which 98% of time goes unanswered....

I play way to early for most...

In 4 Guilds, and when I open the roster, I can generally count on one hand all that are online....

And I know, that they are busy doing high lvl stuff as they all are over 1000Cp.....

SO I don't pester them, and just plod on....

If you don't, you go nowhere in this game....

Thanks though....

• ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Ken_Koerperich I have read some of your post in other threads. I honestly think you get a lot of misinformation. Or at least information that isn't the complete picture.
    TV is a shared TV in our house.
    [snip]
    Spend my 3rd day in game, waiting over 40 minutes for the VERY 1st Undaunted, required quest line dungeon....
    The dungeon queue in this game bugs. I play on PC NA so your times may differ. But if i am queuing as a:
    * Tank - I requeue if it doesn't pop after 3 minutes.
    * Heals- I requeue if it doesn't pop after 5 minutes.
    * DPS - i requeue if it doesn't pop after 15 minutes.
    * You should also requeue anytime you do a loading screen as that can cause it to stick( our dungeon finder is horrible)

You can do other stuff while waiting for a dungeon queue. I do quests and collect resources, organize my bank, empty my inventory. Steal stuff and all kinds of things. I don't do delves, public dungeons or other instances while i am queuing as that usually cancels it( or i just requeue when i am done with the instance.). You definitely don't have to sit around and wait for it to pop.
    you have mentioned training sets in another posts( that i responded to). You don't need training sets in this game. That is what people who are in a hurry to get to what they consider "end game" use and they make up for the drawbacks of training sets( you replace a useful trait with experience gain) with their experience and CP.

CP Explanation Intermission: Once you gain CP on a single character all character on your account will have that CP level even if they are at normal level 1. They will still be able to assign all the CP their account has collected. Any character that goes above level 50 on your account will level the accounts CP as it is account wide. SO you don't have to get each character to 3600 CP, you only have to get each character to level 50 and then they work towards 3600 CP together.

For a newbie player real sets( like those found in group dungeons, world bosses, or even delves and public dungeons) would be more useful. There is no reason to try to hurry up and level in ESO. It is not like other MMORPGS. The end game doesn't start when you reach level X. You can do a large majority of content in this game at level 50 with no CP and you can do pretty much all but some trials with a few hundred CP( i should note that CP early on goes really fast. My wife has got about 15 CP this week and she only plays about an hour a day and 50% of that is questing.She is in the upper CP600s.) There is no need to rush to high CP especially since you don't understand the game yet. It's not going to do you any good. Those damage sets would be a lot more useful to you.
    . If you insist on sets with the training trait all the newbie isle drop a training set. You will typically get it as blue. Just open the treasure chests on any of the newbie islands. Khenarthi's Roost is the best one for chests.( by the way you can use guild rosters to get a free port to anyone who is online. Just find someone in the zone you want to go to that is online in your guild and then right click and travel to player. You will be at the wayshrine they are the closet too.) All newbie isles should have a wayshrine unlocked already.

Also you don't need to ask in guild. Ask in zone chat in crafting hubs if someone will make you something. Vivec City and Alinor for example( Vvardenfell and Summerset zones respectively).
    In 4 Guilds, and when I open the roster, I can generally count on one hand all that are online....
    You need to pick better( more active guilds) if you are logging in at a peak time for your server( such as the evening) and your not getting 20-30 people online at minimum per guild, you need to find something more active. Don't depend to much on guilds. Guilds are not as important in ESO as they are in other games. You don't want to become reliant on them for help and what not. Most people are in guilds because of traders, trials, pvp, or housing. And a lot of people don't pay attention to guild chat( I never do in any of my guilds and know many others that don't either).
    And I know, that they are busy doing high lvl stuff as they all are over 1000Cp.....
    ESO is not like other games. There is not a lot that you can do at CP 1000 that you cant do at level 46. We are talking some vet content and very few players do that. Most of what they are doing is stuff you could do at level 45+. You can also level with someone of any level. You don't have to be in their level range. Don't read so much into levels [snip] they are not near as important to do content as you make them out to be.

BTW there are two PS servers, one for EU and one for NA. So you should add that to your tag so people know which server you are on.

[snipped for baiting]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 28, 2021 6:32PM
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    @Ken_Koerperich I have read some of your post in other threads. I honestly think you get a lot of misinformation. Or at least information that isn't the complete picture.
    [snip]
    The dungeon queue in this game bugs. I play on PC NA so your times may differ. But if i am queuing as a:
    * You should also requeue anytime you do a loading screen as that can cause it to stick( our dungeon finder is horrible)

You can do other stuff while waiting for a dungeon queue. I do quests and collect resources, organize my bank, empty my inventory. Steal stuff and all kinds of things. I don't do delves, public dungeons or other instances while i am queuing as that usually cancels it( or i just requeue when i am done with the instance.). You definitely don't have to sit around and wait for it to pop.
    you have mentioned training sets in another posts( that i responded to). You don't need training sets in this game. That is what people who are in a hurry to get to what they consider "end game" use and they make up for the drawbacks of training sets( you replace a useful trait with experience gain) with their experience and CP.

CP Explanation Intermission: Once you gain CP on a single character all character on your account will have that CP level even if they are at normal level 1. They will still be able to assign all the CP their account has collected. Any character that goes above level 50 on your account will level the accounts CP as it is account wide. SO you don't have to get each character to 3600 CP, you only have to get each character to level 50 and then they work towards 3600 CP together.

For a newbie player real sets( like those found in group dungeons, world bosses, or even delves and public dungeons) would be more useful. There is no reason to try to hurry up and level in ESO. It is not like other MMORPGS. The end game doesn't start when you reach level X. You can do a large majority of content in this game at level 50 with no CP and you can do pretty much all but some trials with a few hundred CP( i should note that CP early on goes really fast. My wife has got about 15 CP this week and she only plays about an hour a day and 50% of that is questing.She is in the upper CP600s.) There is no need to rush to high CP especially since you don't understand the game yet. It's not going to do you any good. Those damage sets would be a lot more useful to you.
    . If you insist on sets with the training trait all the newbie isle drop a training set. You will typically get it as blue. Just open the treasure chests on any of the newbie islands. Khenarthi's Roost is the best one for chests.( by the way you can use guild rosters to get a free port to anyone who is online. Just find someone in the zone you want to go to that is online in your guild and then right click and travel to player. You will be at the wayshrine they are the closet too.) All newbie isles should have a wayshrine unlocked already.

Also you don't need to ask in guild. Ask in zone chat in crafting hubs if someone will make you something. Vivec City and Alinor for example( Vvardenfell and Summerset zones respectively).
    You need to pick better( more active guilds) if you are logging in at a peak time for your server( such as the evening) and your not getting 20-30 people online at minimum per guild, you need to find something more active. Don't depend to much on guilds. Guilds are not as important in ESO as they are in other games. You don't want to become reliant on them for help and what not. Most people are in guilds because of traders, trials, pvp, or housing. And a lot of people don't pay attention to guild chat( I never do in any of my guilds and know many others that don't either).
    ESO is not like other games. There is not a lot that you can do at CP 1000 that you cant do at level 46. We are talking some vet content and very few players do that. Most of what they are doing is stuff you could do at level 45+. You can also level with someone of any level. You don't have to be in their level range. Don't read so much into levels [snip] they are not near as important to do content as you make them out to be.

BTW there are two PS servers, one for EU and one for NA. So you should add that to your tag so people know which server you are on.

Posted all over forums.... CST is US [snip]

[snipped for baiting & edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 28, 2021 6:34PM
  • ThorianB
    ThorianB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    [snip]

Posted all over forums.... CST is US [snip]

It's not posted all over the forums. What i was talking about was your signature. You have your PSN but not what server you play on. Also just because you are in CST doesn't mean you play on NA server. I know loads of people that play on EU server and have an account there myself and also in CST. [snip]

[snipped for baiting/flaming & edited to remove quote]
    Edited by ZOS_Icy on June 28, 2021 6:43PM