The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Always auto-joining Voice Chat... normal???

• DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is intended that you automatically join zone chat

Nobody asked for this.

And pretty sure nobody is happy this is now A Thing.

I do not wish to be in zone voice chat. Now I have to manually exit that channel every single time I switch characters. Sometimes even just switching zones, I get thrust back in.

Not cool.

It should be my choice to join voice chat and hear screaming children and terrible music blared over peoples' mics, not forced upon me the moment I log in.

PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The other day when I left area chat it put me in a group chat. A group I wasn't in(I wasn't in any group). I could hear them, but they couldn't hear me, or aware I was even there. There was no option to leave, either. Very weird. Had to relog.
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, thanks for all your reports on this. Just wanted to touch on a few things called out:
    1. It is intended that you automatically join zone chat
    2. It is NOT intended that you automatically join with talk enabled - this is a bug that we will fix in a future incremental patch
    3. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances, which we're also working on fixing

@ZOS_GinaBruno Just as a bit of coaching, I think you need to be more specific and detailed with your words. Look at the comments - people are under the impression that auto-join voice chat is intended. Can you clear that up?

Are you saying that it's intended you automatically zone *text* chat but not voice chat? Is that what you're trying to say? Maybe phrase better like this:
    1. It is intended that you automatically join zone chat for text only. <Speak to patch notes and issues that drove this change. It wasn't asked for.>
    2. It is NOT intended that you automatically join with talk enabled - this is a bug that we will fix in a future incremental patch. <State timeframe or uncertainty of timeframe. This is a deliverable product, people appreciate timeframes.>
    3. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances, which we're also working on fixing <State timeframe or uncertainty of timeframe.

Please don't just don't fluff off this input!
  • frosty_117360
    frosty_117360
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, thanks for all your reports on this. Just wanted to touch on a few things called out:

In what world would we ever want to automatically keep being put into zone chat? That's a terrible idea.
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    1. It is intended that you automatically join zone chat (...)
    @ZOS_GinaBruno Why did you people there thought it was a "great" idea to force the players to automatically join zone chat?!? No one wants that! Because:
    desndb wrote: »
    (...)
    Random people yelling at their children and SOs.
    Loud obnoxious music.
    All manner of foul language. (...)
    + political propaganda and other nonsenses players really don't want to hear while trying to chill by playing the game.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • count_dingo
    count_dingo
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

Please clarify whether it is intentional to be automatically placed in AREA voice channel

I believe what you mean is zone chat (in the chat window) is automatic, but AREA voice channel should not be and will be fixed, but your verbiage confused the issue for me. Please confirm.
  • ShinyBacon
    ShinyBacon
    ✭✭✭
    this is also really a matter of privacy. I think a lot of people are not aware that they can be heard in voice chat.. was doing my writs this morning and heard someone discussing some very private details on the phone with his bank.

this is a security issue and needs to be changed ASAP.
  • Rittings
    Rittings
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in a group chat earlier with 20 people after doing a BG... I wasn't even in a group.

You can also hear zone chat from different instances... and I could even continue to hear it in my house.
  • dotme
    dotme
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances....
    ...It's highly entertaining in Cyrodiil though.

PS4NA
  • kelseaux
    kelseaux
    ✭✭✭
    2. It is NOT intended that you automatically join with talk enabled - this is a bug that we will fix in a future incremental patch
    3. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances, which we're also working on fixing

Being in area chat automatically is such a bad idea. The amount of people that yell, and cuss, and blast music in area chat w no regard for everyone. I’d rather not have my ears bleed upon loading into the game.
    Not Mr Sivy
  • Gadget4
    Gadget4
    ✭✭✭
    I’m sick to death already with the auto-join zone voice chat ... the sooner this ridiculous change is reverted, the better
    PS5 EU (UK)
    PS5 NA
  • six2fall
    six2fall
    ✭✭✭✭

So while fixing the enabled part can you just go ahead and change the auto joining part as well? It is really annoying having to constantly leave chat every time load up a character
  • codierussell
    codierussell
    ✭✭✭✭
    Destai wrote: »

@ZOS_GinaBruno Just as a bit of coaching, I think you need to be more specific and detailed with your words. Look at the comments - people are under the impression that auto-join voice chat is intended. Can you clear that up?

Are you saying that it's intended you automatically zone *text* chat but not voice chat? Is that what you're trying to say? Maybe phrase better like this:
    1. It is intended that you automatically join zone chat for text only. <Speak to patch notes and issues that drove this change. It wasn't asked for.>
    2. It is NOT intended that you automatically join with talk enabled - this is a bug that we will fix in a future incremental patch. <State timeframe or uncertainty of timeframe. This is a deliverable product, people appreciate timeframes.>
    3. It is also not intended that you can hear chat across alliances, which we're also working on fixing <State timeframe or uncertainty of timeframe.

Please don't just don't fluff off this input!

What are you talking about obviously in a thread about voice chat she was talking about voice chat not text chat. You can't leave zone text chat, all you can do is remove chat from your UI.
  • count_dingo
    count_dingo
    ✭✭✭
    What are you talking about obviously in a thread about voice chat she was talking about voice chat not text chat.

This is the assumption, but no, it isn't obvious whether she meant text or voice. That's why we want clarification. Don't muddy the already murky waters.
  • ZOS_GinaBruno
    ZOS_GinaBruno
    Community Manager
    Hey everyone, we appreciate your continued feedback and reports here. Just to clarify, there are a few different issues we are tracking and working on fixing:
    • When automatically joining area chat, everyone’s mics are automatically turning on. While joining area chat isn’t a new feature, it’s certainly more noticeable now due to the fact that all mics are automatically activated. This is not intended and we plan to implement a fix in a future incremental patch.
    • Your session preferences are also not saving across sessions, which is making the issue above exponentially worse.
    • There’s an issue where you may be hearing players across different alliances which we’re also working on fixing.
    Thanks for your continued patience here!
    Gina Bruno
    Senior Community Manager
    Dev Tracker | Service Alerts | ESO Twitter | My Twitter
    Staff Post
  • deleted220717-003304
    Please reconsider that change, and turn off automatically joining the area voice chat. Even if one's own mic is turned off once this is fixed, one still has to hear the other people, and for reasons such as the ones others have posted already, that is neither pleasant nor a good idea to have happen in general.
    And of course having to click through the menus each time between loading characters is just too much. But even if preferences are saved in the future, please just turn it off in general and make the voice chat opt-in.
  • codierussell
    codierussell
    ✭✭✭✭
    What are you talking about obviously in a thread about voice chat she was talking about voice chat not text chat.

This is the assumption, but no, it isn't obvious whether she meant text or voice. That's why we want clarification. Don't muddy the already murky waters.

My hope in the school system is fading. THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT VOICE CHAT NOT TEXT CHAT, why would Gina comment on a VOICE CHAT THREAD about text chat. Gina doesn't have to clarify anything because 99% of people know what the conversation is about, then apparently the two of you read one sentence and start commenting not knowing even the title of the thread.
  • fizl101
    fizl101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hey everyone, we appreciate your continued feedback and reports here. Just to clarify, there are a few different issues we are tracking and working on fixing:
    • When automatically joining area chat, everyone’s mics are automatically turning on. While joining area chat isn’t a new feature, it’s certainly more noticeable now due to the fact that all mics are automatically activated. This is not intended and we plan to implement a fix in a future incremental patch.
    • Your session preferences are also not saving across sessions, which is making the issue above exponentially worse.
    • There’s an issue where you may be hearing players across different alliances which we’re also working on fixing.

Please revert to it remembering your preference as to whether you are in area voice chat or not. Whether mic is enabled or not I don't want to hear area chat. Until the blackwood update if I left area chat I didn't rejoin it again with that character

Thank you
    Soupy twist
  • count_dingo
    count_dingo
    ✭✭✭

My hope in the school system is fading. THIS IS A THREAD ABOUT VOICE CHAT NOT TEXT CHAT, why would Gina comment on a VOICE CHAT THREAD about text chat. Gina doesn't have to clarify anything because 99% of people know what the conversation is about, then apparently the two of you read one sentence and start commenting not knowing even the title of the thread.

Why would she? Maybe because she has access to information we don't. Maybe from ZOS's perspective, text chat and voice chat are part of the same system. Maybe she is working another related issue and it's tied to one or the other, or both. Maybe a thousand reasons, none of which neither you nor I would know, or maybe none. Maybe it's only about what's in the title (which I do know, and I was the 3rd post in it providing additional detail). Clarification was requested because, in HER WORDS, she stated it is intended to automatically join zone chat:
    With that, we have two forms of local communication being discussed:
    1) AREA voice chat, and
    2) ZONE text chat.

Hence the request for clarification on whether we should be joining AREA voice chat automatically. If you could get past your snotty attitude and read. CAREFULLY, what we're asking, you'd see why.

So again, in a "THREAD ABOUT VOICE CHAT NOT TEXT CHAT," (your emphasis), why *would* she bring up zone chat, which is text?

Regardless, she did clarify. Same as before, new characters join area voice chat. Leaving it on that character should be a permanent setting (set by leaving the channel), but the setting reverts to default (join area voice at character load), and they'll be patching it. Good enough for me.
    Edited by count_dingo on June 19, 2021 10:14AM
  • itscompton
    itscompton
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I think I was the first to call this out on the forums as I thought it would be toxic but it's actually kind of cool to be able to hear people in the other alliances in the Cyro Zone chat. I've heard very little cross alliance chat that would be considered inappropriate and it's fun to hear when people recognize you and call you out to warn their teammates.
    IMO this should stay but give us the option to mute individuals as the biggest abuse has been wanna be "DJ's" blasting area chat with music streamed over crappy mics because they are lacking for attention or something.
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭

Thank you for the response.

Perhaps a word to those who determine such things that "intended to automatically join zone chat" is -- in brief -- a really bad idea. Might an OPTION be created to CHOOSE to join or NOT join automatically?

Example Option: "Join Zone Chat Automatically" ON / OFF :smiley:

Players just love it when we get to have choices. :smiley:

:smiley:
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Raveπa
    Raveπa
    Soul Shriven

So now ZOS has decided to completely ignore those players who have intentionally chosen to not be tortured by area voice chat?? It's bad enough we have to see the hostile text chat roll on the screen in order to not miss guild chat. Now you added the insanity of area chats to the mix. I (and pretty sure I am not alone here) will not listen to the profanities, overbearing music covering all game sounds, someone eating, various ear torturing sound issues, and family fights while trying to enjoy the game. Area voice chat is by far the worst creation in ESO and forcing it on the players takes away whatever is left of the enjoyment while tackling with the numerous bugs that already made it challenging.
  • Destai
    Destai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Thank you for clarifying, it's much appreciated! Hopefully this can be fixed soon. In principle, any zone chats should be opt-in - you're going to server resources and respect people's privacy. Going forward, maybe the developers can come to appreciate opt-in to any feature rather than opt-out - it's just the polite form of content development.