The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

How to solve cyrodiil lag.

GRXRG
GRXRG
✭✭✭✭
You tried everything possible, every possible test that came to your mind, nothing worked and never will.

Let's start from what works in the game with a lag-free experience: battlegrounds and imperial city.

Why don't you "divide" the cyrodiil territory into sub zones similar to imperial city district where lag is almost not existing there?

I know you might kill the open world pvp experience with a big map where everywhere is war zone, but i'd rather have small loading screens like the imperial city doors from a district to another than this unplayable bad pvp experience.

You can do thousands of more other tests, your megaservers are not able to handle such a big map like cyrodiil, so divide it into multiple instances like battlegrounds and imperial city and you solve a big chunk of all lag problems and start from there.

Why don't you try a real solution like this?

It seriously could work.

Please tag mods and devs if you think this idea might have hope to let them see and think about it.

Thanks everyone.
Edited by GRXRG on June 11, 2021 9:24PM
  • Amottica
    Amottica
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am not knocking or arguing with the idea presented here. After all, I admit I probably know less than the OP of this thread. I think it is good to present ideas since someone just might hit on something worth looking at.

I think it is easy to assume a lot about how things are designed but we really do not know. I have wondered is the activity at one keep has a significant effect on the activity at a keep on the other side of the map. I would l would suggest there is some effect as there is probably some effect the activity finder has on aspects of Cyrodiil since all the physical servers for one "server" are connected.

My premise is if the activity at one keep is creating lag there but has little effect on the performance at a keep on the other side of the map then the Zenimax already has a system in place that uses separate servers (physical or virtual) handling different battles in the game. In other words, the design of Cyrdiil may already do what OP is suggesting but in a less obvious manner.

Has anyone determined that extreme lag at one keep affects the entire campaign or is it more isolated?
  • Greasytengu
    Greasytengu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It might improve things, though the mile gates and bridges would need a revamp to make it work.

I suppose if they made the gates and bridges into the loadscreen and immunity area and then had a little wooden palisade on the other side to act as the defensive chokepoint, then it could be done and might even fix the bridge vs milegate imbalances.
    " I nEeD HeAlInG!!! "
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Instead of have the gates and bridges choke points that can be destroyed. They could be choke points that can flagged and owned. The non destructible paths could remain how they are, you just zone when you reach the half way mark. It might work.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amottica wrote: »
    I am not knocking or arguing with the idea presented here. After all, I admit I probably know less than the OP of this thread. I think it is good to present ideas since someone just might hit on something worth looking at.

I think it is easy to assume a lot about how things are designed but we really do not know. I have wondered is the activity at one keep has a significant effect on the activity at a keep on the other side of the map. I would l would suggest there is some effect as there is probably some effect the activity finder has on aspects of Cyrodiil since all the physical servers for one "server" are connected.

My premise is if the activity at one keep is creating lag there but has little effect on the performance at a keep on the other side of the map then the Zenimax already has a system in place that uses separate servers (physical or virtual) handling different battles in the game. In other words, the design of Cyrdiil may already do what OP is suggesting but in a less obvious manner.

Has anyone determined that extreme lag at one keep affects the entire campaign or is it more isolated?

You are right and we do not know how things are designed in the specific.

But what we all see in cyrodiil is a huge map filled with lot of players, and even if there is 1 bar full of red players and the other alliances are not populated you still lag.

Seems the servers cannot handle a big map with almost no limitations. Battlegrounds and imperial city seems to be programmed as separated instances where the game render and consider them separated from the rest of the game, or at least the megaserver memory is limited to those zones, for example in battleground you always have a maximum of 12 players per instance, so the memory needed cannot shift to insanely higher values in matters of seconds, it's pretty much all the same.

Imperial city is very low population I agree, but during the annual events of telvars the map become full with people, but lag is a lot more manageable and you don't even notice.

I never experienced the cyrodiil issues in bgs or ic. Like the character start flying into the air and moving slow motion, skills like dizzy swing which are stuck mid air and don't end the cast, resources and stats, sets desyncs.

So why not start from there?

So if in the zone of Bruma for example, or near an outpost there are only 10 people, the server will render that zone and you will feel like you are in a bg match.

They did hundreds of tests with all the same result, which was irrelevant, nothing happened or even worsening things... so.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was slightly better over the past few months when proc sets were disables.

Now the horrible lag and disconnection are back with proc sets.
    No improvement on Cyrodill servers -> no ESO plus renewal.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭

It was better not because of procs disabled, but because nobody was playing cyro, lot of proctards abusers just didn't even bothered to log in, now they returned in mass to get carried again and server cannot hold the population anymore.

But yeah, I played a lot of cyro no procs and I didn't see that slightly better you say.

Only playable 20 minutes per day, and then all of a sudden the usual bad desyncs and things happening, so yeah.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »

It was better not because of procs disabled, but because nobody was playing cyro, lot of proctards abusers just didn't even bothered to log in, now they returned in mass to get carried again and server cannot hold the population anymore.

But yeah, I played a lot of cyro no procs and I didn't see that slightly better you say.

Only playable 20 minutes per day, and then all of a sudden the usual bad desyncs and things happening, so yeah.

I play in Cyrodiil basically every day, proc or no-proc.
    Even during prime time and all 3 factions are pop-locked, no-proc Cyrodiil worked better.
    Of course by "better" I mean slightly better, but nothing revolutionary...

(by the way I'm on PC platform)
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭

Even during prime time and all 3 factions are pop-locked, no-proc Cyrodiil worked better.

Pc EU myself, which is notorious to be the worse performance wise so... xD
  • Armethius
    Armethius
    ✭✭✭
    the map is the problem... why are there choke points? why can’t you climb anything? why do I find myself constantly stuck up against a cliff wall? because the map is not designed to be open and traversable. it’s choke inevitability. it’s all one big fat choke point. open up the map, add 2x the number of flags, open up the imperial city as part of cyro, fire everyone, double the server size.
  • LightYagami
    LightYagami
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Pc EU myself, which is notorious to be the worse performance wise so... xD

PC NA, just crashed again
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that would work somewhat is reverting the server side changes back to client side, it will improve cc break delay and the problem of skills failing to actually cast. Lag wouldn't be totally eliminated but it will be 10x better than the current "dice roll" effect we have currently.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that would work somewhat is reverting the server side changes back to client side, it will improve cc break delay and the problem of skills failing to actually cast. Lag wouldn't be totally eliminated but it will be 10x better than the current "dice roll" effect we have currently.

I love when i break free and my character is freezed in that position but still moves around like micheal jackson moonwalk...

But still dunno how some players insta break free and roll dodge after being CC like they have 0 lag, for me that is an utopy even having break free binded not default and my reaction time is super fast.
  • CSose
    CSose
    ✭✭✭✭
    The return of proc sets has increased lag marginally, and taking them out of cyrodiil did decrease lag slightly, but the proc set discussion is irrelevant in relation to lag.

The solution to fixing the lag is for ZOS to lease servers that are capable of handling the load.
  • Togal
    Togal
    ✭✭✭✭
    This has been brought up many times before and I completely agree with you, its just pvp isn't worth zos's effort because it doesn't bring them any revenue like pve dungeons or trials. Also I thought making cyrodiil smaller and separated like IC would be very nice.
  • Cyrdemaceb17_ESO
    Cyrdemaceb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Since they announced to be upgrading all theirs servers (the actual ones are from 2014!), I would hold my breath and just wait. This was stated on their Blackwood preview beginning this year.
    Server upgrade was scheduled for GU 31, I think, which would be fall this year.
    Edited by Cyrdemaceb17_ESO on June 17, 2021 8:22AM
  • milllaurie
    milllaurie
    ✭✭✭✭

Client side can be manipulated and changed in the client. Remember the notorious meteor showers?
    You can make server think you have more (unlimited) resources than you actually do, I say keep it server side unless they implement some kind of anti-cheat system like other games have.
  • master_vanargand
    master_vanargand
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the four Cyrodiil game modes should be reduced to two.
    Then give the surplus server to the remaining Cyrodiil.
  • Extinct_Solo_Player
    Extinct_Solo_Player
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    milllaurie wrote: »

Client side can be manipulated and changed in the client. Remember the notorious meteor showers?
    You can make server think you have more (unlimited) resources than you actually do, I say keep it server side unless they implement some kind of anti-cheat system like other games have.

yes in 2016 for a few days it was a thing, but nothing of the sort happened since. They only moved the majority of stuff to server in the q1 2020 patch and since then the performance has been 10x worse. Reverting that change won't bring back the 2016 fiasco.
  • Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Togal wrote: »
    This has been brought up many times before and I completely agree with you, its just pvp isn't worth zos's effort because it doesn't bring them any revenue like pve dungeons or trials. Also I thought making cyrodiil smaller and separated like IC would be very nice.

Pvp actually brings in a ton of revenue when it works, the problem is the majority of the population left because of the performance issues being ignored for years.

Most pvp players buy the latest dlc for their meta builds, race and alliance change tokens, eso+, character slots, skill lines, not to mention all the fancy mounts and costumes which are all over cyrodill.
  • techyeshic
    techyeshic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they already have an idea and it will be queuing abilities. That's what that extra number in their back bar buff tracker is.
  • Cyrdemaceb17_ESO
    Cyrdemaceb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »
    I think they already have an idea and it will be queuing abilities. That's what that extra number in their back bar buff tracker is.

Wouldn't that just kill off the beloved ball groups and macro-gankers?
  • Marcus_Aurelius
    Marcus_Aurelius
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they announced to be upgrading all theirs servers (the actual ones are from 2014!), I would hold my breath and just wait. This was stated on their Blackwood preview beginning this year.
    Server upgrade was scheduled for GU 31, I think, which would be fall this year.

They also said that new servers will not improve performance.
    Probably buying servers with i-3 CPUs and 4Gb of ram to save money.
  • Sandman929
    Sandman929
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    techyeshic wrote: »

I hope that's not it, but that to-be-implemented number in the tracker is pretty ominous.
  • Abyssmol
    Abyssmol
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you calling stamina players proctards abusers? Most proc sets I see now in Cyrodiil are used by stamina players...