The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Game Download Excessive

AaronGuilder
AaronGuilder
✭✭✭
I was away from home today, so logged in on a friends Xbox to play ESO, but after finding that it would take > 8 Hours to download 68GB, I backed out.
As a guide, 68 GB is nearly 10 DVDS... Just 6 years ago, when ESO was new, the average HDD size was 128GB

This made me think of NEW PLAYERS .. 8 hour download is ridiculous and would put me off downloading ANY game with that sort of sized download.
We really need to look at the game base to offer new players or even those whose have to download afresh the option of a light version or compressed to speed up download.
Ask yourself, would you wait 8 hours to play a game if you had not experienced it before?
I know I would not and being presented with this I would choose something else.

Worth considering for everyone, old & new.
XBOX EU / NA: Magplar x4 Magsorc x3 StamDK x2 Stamsorc x1 Magsorc x1 Warden x1 Necro x1 Stamblade x1 Magblade x1 MagDK x1
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a AAA game that is less than 60 to 70GB?
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• AaronGuilder
    AaronGuilder
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Is there a AAA game that is less than 60 to 70GB?

No, but that is my point. A huge number of games now take ages to download and install and I don't buy them... I want to play as soon as I can.
    Cyberpunk took over 10 hours to download... I quit and fortunately, later I got my money back!

Gears 5 was playable at halfway through the download so at least the game could be started whilst the rest of the game downloaded
    Incremental downloads, download the base game and the rest is done whilst paying... that is my point. I don't know if/how it can be done, but I love ESO and I want people to play but how many new players are going to wait for stupidly long downloads, let's lead by example and maybe others will follow!
    XBOX EU / NA: Magplar x4 Magsorc x3 StamDK x2 Stamsorc x1 Magsorc x1 Warden x1 Necro x1 Stamblade x1 Magblade x1 MagDK x1
  • EnjiroKitsune
    EnjiroKitsune
    ✭✭✭
    I installed the game via 6 DVDs (Gold Edition) and started the laucher... it said its updating... that's totay ok... saw the file-size, okay... will take some hours... after that there was another big file... and a nother and another... it is currently downloading suff for 24 HOURS and tells me he just got 32% of the total!!! WHAT THE FLUFF Bethesda!? I have a 25k-Connection but a great deal of the time je is just doing 3k and aproximately will take THREE ENTIRE DAYS! to start a game I got f'ing DVDs to install the basics for. Then what are these Downloads then? Bloody hell. o.o

(pls. don't take my cursing too serious, I've watched too much Gordon Ramsey, Outlander, some YouTube and stuff I guess)
    Wan't a baked apple? It has just the right amount of sugar my Friend. Old Khajiit recipe of this ones Grandma, yes?
  • EnjiroKitsune
    EnjiroKitsune
    ✭✭✭
    I installed the game via 6 DVDs (Gold Edition) and started the laucher... it said its updating... that's totay ok... saw the file-size, okay... will take some hours... after that there was another big file... and a nother and another... it is currently downloading suff for 24 HOURS and tells me he just got 32% of the total!!! WHAT THE FLUFF Bethesda!? I have a 25k-Connection but a great deal of the time je is just doing 3k and aproximately will take THREE ENTIRE DAYS! to start a game I got f'ing DVDs to install the basics for. Then what are these Downloads then? Bloody hell. o.o

(pls. don't take my cursing too serious, I've watched too much Gordon Ramsey, Outlander, some YouTube and stuff I guess)

*it's
    *another
    *stuff
    *it
    *connection
    *it

(Don't know how to edit my post above, lol)
    Wan't a baked apple? It has just the right amount of sugar my Friend. Old Khajiit recipe of this ones Grandma, yes?
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The large size has seemingly not stopped a few million people from trying it out. I mean, it has been around this size for a long time, now.

Why they don't stage the download so you can play, with reduced fidelity, while the rest of the game is downloading... I dunno.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • EnjiroKitsune
    EnjiroKitsune
    ✭✭✭
    UPDATE: It has made quite a jump after my post, so it was finished by night after 30 hours.

and good Idea to stage it, have played other MMOs in the past that I was able to start while contents were still downloading.
  • RedMuse
    RedMuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If we want games with good graphics and sound then the size is only going to grow and incremental patching isn't really an option much of the time. What needs improving is the infrastructure. Internet needs serious upgrading world wide and not just for gaming purposes.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @EnjiroKitsune

Thank you for the update letting us know the download was able to finish successfully.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • sean.plackerb14_ESO
    sean.plackerb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be a flaw of the way games are updated on the consoles. Update 30 / Blackwood update was <7 GB on PC. It's 70 on Xbox and about 40 on Playstation. If you look in the patch notes and compare the size of "Update x" patches between PC and console you'll see the PC updates are always WAY smaller.
    @sean8102 - Carlore - Daggerfall Covenant
  • DrSlaughtr
    DrSlaughtr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XBox isn't a PC. It's not just as simple as copying the PC assets. It's not like they're purposely making the file sizes large. Every chapter update to this game is basically it's own Elder Scrolls game and the file size reflects that
    I drink and I stream things.
    Twitch: DrSlaughtr
    YouTube: DrSlaughtr
    Facebook: DrSlaughtr
    Twitter: DrSlaughtr
    TikTok: DrSlaughtr
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    XBox isn't a PC. It's not just as simple as copying the PC assets. It's not like they're purposely making the file sizes large. Every chapter update to this game is basically it's own Elder Scrolls game and the file size reflects that

Not only that, but ZOS "owns" the patcher that is used on PC.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus