The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [EXTENDED] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)

21 Days

bridgetrose
bridgetrose
✭✭✭
My main who has been crafting the longest is up to 21days on some clothing items for research. Is that the longest time or is it going to get even longer? Besides chipping away at them 1 day at a time using the research scrolls is there anyway to shorten this up? Am I missing something. It doesn't seem to be as bad on woodworking and blacksmithing but maybe I'm just not as far along on those two in the research dept.
  • tmbrinks
    tmbrinks
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without the passives from each line it'll get up to 60 days?

ESO+ reduces it by 10% (IIRC), and the max passives will cap it at 30 days.

At least it's passive so it happens while you're offline and you don't have to be logged in for it to advance.

But, yes, becoming an 8- or 9- trait crafter takes time.

My 18 9-trait crafters will welcome you to the club (all done before the research scrolls existed... lol)
    Tenacious Dreamer - Hurricane Herald - Godslayer - Dawnbringer - Gryphon Heart - Tick Tock Tormenter - Immortal Redeemer - Dro-m'Athra Destroyer
    The Unchained - Bedlam's Disciple - Temporal Tempest - Curator's Champion - Fist of Tava - Invader's Bane - Land, Air, and Sea Supremacy - Zero Regrets - Battlespire's Best - Bastion Breaker - Ardent Bibliophile - Subterranean Smasher - Bane of Thorns - True Genius - In Defiance of Death - No Rest for the Wicked - Nature's Wrath - Undying Endurance - Relentless Raider - Depths Defier - Apex Predator - Pure Lunacy - Mountain God - Leave No Bone Unbroken - CoS/RoM/BF/FH Challenger
    61,215 achievement points
  • bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks wrote: »
    Without the passives from each line it'll get up to 60 days?

ESO+ reduces it by 10% (IIRC), and the max passives will cap it at 30 days.

At least it's passive so it happens while you're offline and you don't have to be logged in for it to advance.

But, yes, becoming an 8- or 9- trait crafter takes time.

My 18 9-trait crafters will welcome you to the club (all done before the research scrolls existed... lol)

Thanks. I have ESO + so that's something. I'll double check my passives but I think they are all topped out.
  • hundergrn
    hundergrn
    ✭✭✭
    tmbrinks hit it on the head. Welcome to the road to Master Crafter.

Woodworking will most likely be the first one you will get 9 trait on. With max Passives, it can take about 6 months to a year to 9-trait everything. Each trait known doubles the base research time (6,12,24,48,...) with a cap at max passive of 720HR (30 days)

Blacksmithing & Clothier have 126 researchable traits
    Woodworking has 54
    Jewelry has 18

Trait Learning
    No passive Max Passive (25% Reduction & 30day cap)
    1 6hr 4.5hr
    2 12hr 9hr
    3 1day 18hr
    4 2day 1.5day
    5 4day 3day
    6 8day 6day
    7 16day 12day
    8 32day 30day
    9 64day 30day

Rough math:
    9 trait an item with no passive - ~128 days
    9 trait an item with max passives - ~84 days
    14 item types, 9 traits, 3 slot, no passive - ~597 days
    14 item types, 9 traits, 3 slot, w/passive - ~363 days

with research scrolls the time can be reduced significantly but can be resource intensive and relies on a steady flow of vouchers... but can reduce research time in half.

Assuming everything is kept back to back and a research scroll is used once a day, at the same point, every day with little to waste.... it is possible to 9-trait everything in roughly 6 months. Keep in mind that is using ~188 research scrolls per skill line.

It is too early for math, please correct me if I am wrong or terribly off.

The system is a waiting game for those who wish to be a master crafter but makes learning traits a matter or priority and planning for the toons play style you want (as well as unlocking craftable sets that require a number of traits known). It gives those who have put the time and effort into the game some bragging rights and an edge in the market and guilds.

Good luck on the road to Master Crafter. Soon you will be swimming in Surveys, Master Writs, and Vouchers.

• bridgetrose
    bridgetrose
    ✭✭✭
    hundergrn wrote: »
    tmbrinks hit it on the head. Welcome to the road to Master Crafter.

Woodworking will most likely be the first one you will get 9 trait on. With max Passives, it can take about 6 months to a year to 9-trait everything. Each trait known doubles the base research time (6,12,24,48,...) with a cap at max passive of 720HR (30 days)

Blacksmithing & Clothier have 126 researchable traits
    Woodworking has 54
    Jewelry has 18

Trait Learning
    No passive Max Passive (25% Reduction & 30day cap)
    1 6hr 4.5hr
    2 12hr 9hr
    3 1day 18hr
    4 2day 1.5day
    5 4day 3day
    6 8day 6day
    7 16day 12day
    8 32day 30day
    9 64day 30day

Rough math:
    9 trait an item with no passive - ~128 days
    9 trait an item with max passives - ~84 days
    14 item types, 9 traits, 3 slot, no passive - ~597 days
    14 item types, 9 traits, 3 slot, w/passive - ~363 days

with research scrolls the time can be reduced significantly but can be resource intensive and relies on a steady flow of vouchers... but can reduce research time in half.

Assuming everything is kept back to back and a research scroll is used once a day, at the same point, every day with little to waste.... it is possible to 9-trait everything in roughly 6 months. Keep in mind that is using ~188 research scrolls per skill line.

It is too early for math, please correct me if I am wrong or terribly off.

The system is a waiting game for those who wish to be a master crafter but makes learning traits a matter or priority and planning for the toons play style you want (as well as unlocking craftable sets that require a number of traits known). It gives those who have put the time and effort into the game some bragging rights and an edge in the market and guilds.

Good luck on the road to Master Crafter. Soon you will be swimming in Surveys, Master Writs, and Vouchers.

Good grief. LOL. Thanks for the info. It helps to see the big picture.
  • Ken_Koerperich
    Ken_Koerperich
    ✭✭✭
    Ugh, ouchie, wtf....

Guess I'd best get in gear.

I need 6 Traits learned on:

Light Helm
    Heavy Shoulder
    Medium Glove
    Medium Chest
    Medium Pant
    Medium Belt
    Medium Boot

Did you factor in the "farming" time of all traits?

Because I rarely see Divine, and that's what I need FIRST....

Ty for the info...
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news is there are a lot of 5 or 6 trait sets you can use in the game. Heck, there are even some 2 and 3 trait sets that can be used end game.

While getting to 9 Traits is a chore, it will feel good when you get there.

Also, the Daily Log in rewards have some trait research scrolls peppered in the mix, so you can knock some time off for free.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The highest ability rank limits the research time to 30 days, which is only relevant to the 9th trait on an item, as the others would be below this limit already. Being an ESO+ Subscriber further reduces research time by 10%, stacking multiplicatively with Stitching/Carpentry/Metallurgy/Lapidary Research.

The base research time for a trait is 6 hours real time. Each further trait you research for an item type doubles this time - 12 hours for the second trait, 24 hours for the third trait, and so forth. Research time continues to count down while you are not playing the character that is researching (e.g. playing another character or offline). The following table lists the research times for traits:

j5VreMH.png

Using a research scroll will reduce the timers of all items currently being researched in one or more crafts by an amount dependent on the scroll (e.g. Blacksmithing Crown Research Scrolls will reduce the timers of all current Blacksmithing research items by 1 day). Scrolls obtained from the Crown Store have no cooldown between uses; scrolls purchased from Rolis Hlaalu have a cooldown of 20 hours.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP