Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Anyone else feel awkward as a Vampire, using Fire Staff/Spells?

JMadFour
JMadFour
✭✭✭✭✭
One would think that lore-wise such a thing would not be safe for a Vampire and they would be more attuned with Ice/Frost.

Or am I tripping?
  • kaisernick
    kaisernick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really i mean a vampire using fire has a advantage when facing others of their kind.
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In my characters case, he is a magDK who became a vampire later on. While others would roleplay this much better than I do, I've never bothered to cure it. At stage 1 the passives are useful enough and far as increased fire damage goes, one makes adjustments. B)
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."
  • kaushad
    kaushad
    ✭✭✭✭
    Slightly tripping; a mage skilled with fire magic shouldn't be setting themselves on fire, even if they have no special weakness to it.
    Now if spell reflection were an expected risk, it would be best to use something else, but it isn't common in ESO.
  • Vevvev
    Vevvev
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never had issues with vampires using flame spells in TES as it's always been a thing they could do as far back as the first game. In fact one blood line, the Haarvenu, had a fire spell unique to them! If anything fire is a very integral part to the vampires of the Elder Scrolls as it can either be their bane or greatest strength. Also in battles between two vampire clans you can almost guarantee fire will be used as they try to one up the other.

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Haarvenu

Also this fact was not lost on the devs who were working on Greymoor as you can see one of the options for the Vampire Lord statue using fire.
    20200805164147_1.jpg

And the TES:L artists having vampires using flame spells to.
    300px-LG-card-Pure-Blood_Elder.png
    Edited by Vevvev on June 1, 2021 8:10PM
    PC NA - Ceyanna Ashton - Breton Vampire MagDK
  • RavenLake
    RavenLake
    ✭✭✭
    Considering all the undead and vampires who use fire in the game (i.e. Castle Thorn), its common.

As for my personal vampire toons, none of them use fire based spells or gear. I agree its awkward.
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to think my vampire is immune to her own fire - it's magicka fire and any character using magicka spells would probably be immune to the effects of their own spells. Either that or she is just very careful using it.
  • Wolf_Eye
    Wolf_Eye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Verandis Ravenwatch typically uses a fire staff whenever you have him during those follower parts of quests.
  • Lokryn
    Lokryn
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like to think my vampire is immune to her own fire - it's magicka fire and any character using magicka spells would probably be immune to the effects of their own spells. Either that or she is just very careful using it.

It's the latter. A mage can absolutely hurt themselves by their own fire. But it's not because fire is hot and they were too close, it's more that they performed the spell wrong or did not have the willpower to cast it correctly. If you lack willpower over your magicka, or take incorrect measures to protect yourself from the spell, it can really backfire.

Here's an example: http://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Yisra

Vampires do absolutely cast fire spells. They just must have the same knowledge and willpower of any other spellcaster in TES to perform the spells correctly. If it backfires, it just hurts more.
  • Gary404
    Gary404
    ✭✭✭
    No what's funny, at least to me, is a Vampire Templar with fire enchanted weapons.
    I mostly play this game with my wife and soon we will be streaming it together.
    Check out my twitch channel!